Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had VSG on the 23rd. But I'm scared, I've always been the adventurous type, and one to test my limits.

5 days post op I had egg drop Soup & yesterday I tried a bit of retried Beans (primarily for protein). I've had no discomfort or pain from either. I'm concerned this may be too easy, and thus end up being a fail for me.

I'm the same way. My Therapist calls me a rebel. Its not good to try that stuff so soon. Even though u feel fine u just had a major surgery. U will be able to eat soon. Don't let your adventurous side dictate what u should and should not be eating

Everyone heals at a different rate. My doctor told me that if I thought I could handle some things such as refried Beans then to go for it...but to remember that I will need to take it VERY slow. I was eating refried beans with sour cream and cheese at 1.5 weeks post op...I would gradually try other things and it if pissed my tummy off I wouldn't do it again. I am just now going back and trying those things again..you will not fail! It may take some time to get into a groove...but once you get there you will be good to go...Also, remember that stalls happen and not to get down on yourself. It took me seeing a major NSV before I realized that even if my scale isn't moving my body is still changing...

Be cautious, because you probably still have a lot of numbness and you may not be able to tell just how full you are (or how much that food is pressing on your fresh staple line).

You will NOT fail. This isn't going to be like any other diets in your past. This is a totally new way of life and a new way of eating. Your relationship with food is (and will) change radically. The sleeve will work... but you do need to follow all the rules laid out by your surgeon's team. If you want to maximize the effectiveness of your sleeve, you need to try to keep your rebel-side in check for a while!

Also, liquid and mushy foods don't tend to fill you up like "real" foods do. You'll feel much more restriction once you are cleared for regular foods. But, no need to rush it! Right now, your primary goal should be healing and nothing else.

Congrats on your new sleeve!!

wow i didnt try that til i was four week post op, i took it easy on my stomach, did my phases on point, phase one Clear Liquids 1 week, then phase 2 week 2 full liquids , week 3 pureed phase.. week 4 soft phase.. which is basically solid foods but chew chew chew... now i can eat anything.. but i follow my nut booklet not too much fat /carbs or sugar. no snacking between meals n sip all day. but everybody is different, wat works for u might not work for others.. so if ur doc is ok with wat ur doing, n ur sleeve isnt giving u problems go for it. n it gets better. just dont get too comfortable .

Thanks for all the quick responses. This seems to be a very active place. This is really all so surreal to me so far.

Wow!! I have to be on clear liquid Protein for 2 weeks after surgery, then 4-5 weeks of full liquids before I even progress to pureed or soft food! Hard to believe what a huge difference there is in the diets different surgeons or bariatrics group let you go on .

I'm going to stick with what my doctor is recommending so my stomach can fully heal.

Wow!! I have to be on clear liquid Protein for 2 weeks after surgery' date=' then 4-5 weeks of full liquids before I even progress to pureed or soft food! Hard to believe what a huge difference there is in the diets different surgeons or bariatrics group let you go on .

I'm going to stick with what my doctor is recommending so my stomach can fully heal.[/quote']

Actually

I was supposed to be on clear liquids for 10 days, but yes. I have found radically different post-op diets. I have always been a risk taker, and that has worked out well for me in most aspects of my life. I am trying to curtail that tendency with this situation, & in no way do I advocate straying from your Doc's recomendations.

I would say "good luck" but really from what I can see so far, luck is not needed. So I will say I pray both our path remain as easy as mine has been so far.

I also tried some refried Beans at 2 weeks out. I made them super runny with some pureed salsa and had no problem at all, couldnt eat much but did ok. All you can do it try it, sleevie will let you know if she doesnt like something for sure!

I think people would say I am a risk taker, too. But when it came to post op eating, I was the opposite. Let's take a look at what has been done to us. We had 80-85% of our stomachs removed with a titanium staple line going from the top to bottom of our stomach ... no small scratch, there. This is our stomach. One of the most active organs in our bodies as it is the mechanical part of eating process. It secretes the acids and churns the food to get it into a paste to pass through the pyloric valve and down into your intestines for absorption.

Do I really want to hinder it's healing process? Is jumping ahead a week in my diet progression really worth it? I'm going to have this sleeve for the rest of my life and I want it to heal solid. I was not going to throw it curve balls.

Was I too passive ...? Perhaps. But now I am going on 11 months out and I can confidently eat anything. I am glad I did not try to test my staple line with advancing my diet too quickly. What's the point?

I agree with Pdxman. I think you should take it easy . I did a 2 week

liquid diet after my surgey and then I started slowly with blended mushy foods. And just so you know mushy foods and liquids have not so much restriction as dense Proteins so when you start you regular meats slowly , you will feel more restriction . Some people are lucky to tolerate almost any food after surgery, others not . To be sucesful with your sleeve you need to trust that you can do this first , never fear to fail . This is not an easy journey for sure . It requires a lifetime change commitment . Good luck :)

Well said, PDXman!

OP...FWIW, I was on liquids for 3 weeks (clear and then full) and then mushies... so I was about a month out of surgery before I was eating what you've already eaten.

I really question it because there is such variability from surgeon to surgeon. I went home on puréed, so ate thin Soups and meats from day 3 on...

Just from lurking here for so long, and reading everything I can for the past 7 months, I have followed so many people's pre-op and post-op posts. Those that seem to be on a stricter diet after surgery seem to have a better recovery rate, less complications and you hear about less stall issues, especially since they are introduced to new foods slowly. Those that get out of the box and start eating right away, seem to have more issues and more complication and post more why am I not losing like everyone else.

There are always unexpected complications that happen, which cannot be controlled, but by and large, those that that realize this is a tool and it's up to them to control what they put in their mouth and when and do things the way it's meant to be done, seem to be far happier and are far more successful. What you do with your tool (the sleeve) will determine where you will be 2 months to a year down the road.

I've always pushed the limits and bent the rules but I promised myself I will not do that this time around. I've been lucky that I haven't really been tempted. I'm following my post-op diet to a T. I don't see the benefit of cheating at this point, I only see the risk.