Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh No, I'm Almost 6 Month Out, And I Learned I Can Snack Again. Help

Ok, it's true, I was so on top of this, and I've lost 65 pounds, and have about 45 to go. The only thing is I'm falling back into old habits. It is true, I can't eat the whole bag at once, but give me a few hours and I can. I'm so trying to take back my life, that I've even concidered starting to smoke again, that is what I use to do before, but I'm enjoying the extra money, so I don't think I will pick up that nasty habit, but I just emptied my cupboards this morning and got rid of all the chips and candy. I even made my self drink a protien drink for Breakfast, insted of eating junk. I'm almost 6 month out on the 12th of june. I stopped two months ago drinking protien, or even trying to get it in my diet. I need a bid kick in the pants, I didn' t come all this way to be stuck. I haven't gained , but I haven't lost a single pound in 1 whole month. What to do. Help, give me some advice old sleevers. Kathy

It takes a lot of courage to make a post like this, so that's a huge step.

You pretty much laid it out there what the problem is. You have been snacking and not drinking Protein shakes and eating healthy.

Make yourself accountable. If you used to chart your food on Myfitnesspal.com or some other start doing it. Start visually becoming accountable for what you put in your mouth. If you see it on paper, it becomes real.

Start counting your Water, and start moving again. Not sure what it cost you or your insurance for this surgery, not sure how much pain you endured, but think about that next time snacking becomes an option.

There's no more surgery after this one, except hip, knee replacement, etc. plus doctor's bills for sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes if you don't correct your ways now the scale WILL eventually start going up.

Good luck and I wish you the best. You know what to do, lots of people here to help you and encourage you.

kdippy - I am not sleeved yet, but this is probably my worst fear. I have never been able to get out of my own way before, and this is why I've chosen to take such a drastic step and have this surgery. I also know that if I don't, then eventually, I will kill myself from these terrible habits.

With that said, I think you should be commended for stopping yourself, taking a step back, and acknowledging that you are on the wrong path. Think about what you wanted to accomplish when you made the decision to get sleeved. Think about all of us that haven't been sleeved yet, that are desperately waiting for our day to come, so we can join you and so many others on the losers bench!

You've made a huge step by realizing that you're making some bad choices. But they're just that - CHOICES. You have the ability to make right ones, and wrong ones. Stop for a moment and recommit to yourself that you will not let food win. Protein is very important, and if I've learned anything in the past few weeks, is that there a literally hundreds of ways to incorporate it into your daily intake. Maybe find 3-4 Protein options that you truly enjoy, and cycle them through your days?

I feel kind of awkward responding to your post, simply because I have not been sleeved, and therefore I really can't relate.... but what you're going through is the one thing that I am most terrified of. I have never been able to discipline myself before, which is how I ended up being 314 pounds!! When my doctor tells me that I can be 125, it seems so impossible to me, but I still have it set as my goal weight. What's your goal weight? What can I do to help you? I am here for you, and I will be your cheer leader if that's what you need. :) Maybe you can be mine in a few months! :)

You can do this!!! Make the decision right now that you are going to reach that goal. Whether it's a weight goal, a size goal, or an overall health goal. Say it out loud, and believe yourself when you say it! I believe in you!

Kathy,

While I haven't been sleeved yet i do have advice (and hope I take my own advice if ever I am in the position you are in now). I think you really need to reflect on everything you have gone through to get to this point. If you were an insurance patient you had to jump through a ton of hoops, if you were self pay you spent a LOT of money!!! You made the decison to have this surgery because it can be LIFE ALTERING!!!! You managed to get through your pre-op diet, then the pain of your surgery and your post op diet. You have lost over 1/2 of the weight that you want to loose... so why would you want to stop now. Snacking on JUNK is as good as saying "I really didn't want to change my life after all". I don't think that's how you feel.. at least I hope not. Surely you are not saying "everything I went through to get here wasn't worth it and I'll just go back to being the weight I was". Losing 65lbs is an inspiration to people that come to this site either to learn if the surgery is right for them or for those already sleeved to get inspriration from others. With that said, you need to find something healthy to snack on to feed the need to snack. Maybe that's apple slices... i'm sure some of the long time sleevers can give some advice there. Stay strong, it sounds like you are making better choices today so just keep up those good choices and you will see those pounds coming off again. Just think about how good it will feel to reach your goal.

Kathy ~ This is old habits coming back to bit you in the A$$. Now is the time to change those habits by doing what your doing. Getting rid of all the junk food in your cubboards and keeping nothing but healthy stuff in there. This is not an easy journey, but it is doable. I am 7.5 months out and I wasn't eating the best. I've noticed on MFP that I have easily reached the 1200 calorie mark with food where before I struggled with getting in 900. I haven't been losing weight, my weight has been fluctuating. So now I am re-evaluating my food intake and getting rid of the snacking habits I have gotten into, throwing away the junk, and making my adult children get their junk out of my kitchen and chosing more healthier foods. This we can do.

You are now reckoning the bad habits creeping back in and you can make the changes now. You hadn't really changed that behavior before now. And once you change a behavior like snacking, it is really important to replace the habit with something healthy. Maybe take a walk instead, call a friend or loved one. You can make this change just like I am revamping my diet. THROW ALL THE JUNK CALORIES IN THE TRASH AND GET OFF THE SUGAR, IT IS ADDICTING. We can do this! ;)

Most of us here are either compulsive or food addicts of one sort or another. That's why we take the drastic step of having permanent surgery to assist us. I replaced my food addicition with an addiction to exercise - healthier but something I still fight with. You've recognized the issue. I had to get the bad things in my house out (I just threw them out one day and told my wife that I can't have them around, I'm not strong enough yet) and make sure that temptation was out of my reach, When I have these issues it's because I don't have the right choices near enough to me. I make sure that I have lots of cold Water and flavored waters in the house as well as the right items to eat in the house, especially Protein. For me, that snack choice is beef or turkey Jerky. It's expensive but it gets me through the difficult times, it's low in calories and high in protein. Keep working and remind yourself that it's one day at a time, just like any 12 step program.

I feel your pain, Kathy.

See my thread: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/40231-vacationing-key-to-weight-loss/

The mind is the key to the body. It's like driving a car for a long distance. Don't go to sleep. Slap yourself if you have to but stay awake. You and I have demonstrated we can thrive without constant, unneeded material going down our necks. Life is more than endless chewing. We need to engage our brains and bodies in new and challenging pursuits.

I need a bid kick in the pants, I didn' t come all this way to be stuck.

Sounds like you know what the problem is and are on your way to fixing it, but just for good measure....... here's a swift kick in the butt to keep you going in the right direction :P

Hugs to you!

I agree with what has been said by others, but I also think you may want to talk to a professional about your food addiction. I see no shame in that and it might help you get where you want/need to be.

I am only 6 weeks out but allready snack but I found a local butchers shop that makes thier own Jerky it is so good and soft and moist I snack on it a lot it is $$$ but so worth it in the protien calories area and more importantly keeps me out of the carbs.

sleeved 4/23/12 Sent from my iPad using VST

Okay - here is your kick in the butt.

What are you thinking? I mean that really. You have to get in your head! Figure out what it is, inside, that is sabotageing your efforts.

You have to learn new habits, this sleeve is just a tool. You will gain weight back if you do not.

Who ever told you you would not be able to snack? Who says you can't now? I have days I snack constantly on really good tasting stuff! Dried edamame, hummus, dried okra, tuna sweetened with vinegar and a touch of honey, apples, oranges, watermelon, and so much more. Jello and popscicles and similar foods provide sugar free options that are almost no calories.

Start over on your liquids and soft food stage again. Add new, healthy foods slowly. Keep the junk out. Never ever go to a fast food place again. Take the stairs, walk, find a support group and a good counselor. Get some of the books and read.

TAKE THIS BACK. Your post was brave, and it sounds like you want help. Take back you second chance. Own this opportuinity. Own your choices, own your success, and own your life.

If I can help you I will. Let me know.

Wow, thanks, my friends. I felt every kick in the pants. lol I will regain my strength on this one. I guess, I thought the weight would just keep falling, but it takes just as much work now as it did, before. It shouldn't be that way, but it is what it is. Thanks again, love you all.

Have any of you read THE EMOTIONAL FIRST+ AID KIT: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery by Cynthia Alexander? I just finished it and think it will help to keep rereading it after my surgery.