Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Year Old Gastric Sleeve Patient

What do you think about a 12 year old getting the sleeve?

now, what if I tell you it is Dr. Alvarez's neice?

When is it too young? What would I have been like, my life like, if I simply had to treat food like someone who had an accident or condition that could not handle food (which apparenlty isn't far from the situation).

Hmmmm.

I met with Dr. Alvarez and asked him questions. She went to talk to nutritionists and tried getting help and nothing really helped her. She was very happy with her choice. Point being, yeah she is young but I feel like she knew she needed help and her uncle helped her and changed her life. I'm sure it was hard to adjust at a young age, but she Is very successful.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time with the idea of a 12 year old having surgery. As a parent I wouldn't want to make that choice to remove most of my child's stomach let alone the risks involved. It's hard enough to imagine the complications I can possibly have but to put a child through that... don't think I could.

We had a morbidly obese 11-yo when I was on my pediatrics rotation. She actually had a heart attack at the hospital, and she had a million other obesity-related health problems. We discussed having bariatric surgery do a consult on her, but I don't know if they did (wasn't my decision). It was weird to hear everyone talk about how it's such a drastic measure, etc. SHE'S 11 YEARS OLD, 300 LBS, AND JUST HAD A HEART ATTACK, PEOPLE. If that doesn't require drastic measures, then I don't know what does!

Wow, that is crazy. Speechless.

I want to be mad and say that is terrible to do to a child- there had to be better options. BUT as a fat kid growing up... being 170+ in the 7th grade..... I wish my mom would have gotten me the sleeve. I would have been so much more confident. I am literally in tears because I am so happy that they made this choice! Kudos to her family and the girl. Amazing!

You know I am mixed on this one. Even with all of my concern on a 12 year old having this surgery done .... the difference her life will now have is like night and day. I'm still like wow on this tho.

From a medical perspective, does this damage her in any way? (i.e. scar tissue or IDK what else) What changes will her body experience as she grows up due to this surgery? Is she at risk for more of anything for having the surgery done? Or is it just a long term health benefit as well as one that will greatly help her confidence as she won't have to hear the teasing or taunts, miss the prom or dances or dating.......Very interesting...are there any other case studies at this young of an age with this surgery.... wow, blows me away.... but IDK when is too young for this or any other gastric surgery?

Wow, just wow.

I wish I had gotten the sleeve at age 11-12 because that was the age that my mother started taking me to the doctors & doing anything she could to torture me about my weight. I wasn't even that overweight yet at that age. I got heavier as she shamed me more & more. My older bro & kids at school didnt help either but my mother shamed me so badly that I was in therapy all through my 20's. I got better but it's still there. That was my foundation, shame. Horrible horrible childhood. The sleeve would have saved my health & a lot of heartache. I'm all for the sleeve surgery at any age even if it was my own daughter.

It's too early, IMHO. There's too much growing happening in a 12 year old to be on an ultra-low calorie diet. And a 12 year old doesn't really grasp what lifelong decisions they're making.

I know being an obese pre-adolescent and adolescent is awful (been there, done that), but I think WLS should be reserved until the late teens if at all possible. Just MHO, and what I would do if I had a son or daughter in this situation.

i dont know about surgery at 12 because surely your body goes thru so many changes as you grow up and thru your teenage years,,, but the family did what was best for her health,/ both mentally and phsically,, and to me she looks incredibly amazingly beautiful and has such confidence,, it just shines thru..

On our news last week they were announcing a story about 2 surgeries most adults get that kids were now getting. I thought they might be talking about WLS, but I didn't stay up to watch the news.

Honestly, I think it shows the sad state of our country and world right now when there are so many obese children. We rarely go outside to play and fast food & junk food is way too available! We need to change our habits - not just resort to surgery, especially for kids who are still growing!

I have to say, although I am exceedingly happy that this process was so successful for this young lady, I just can't bring myself to advocating WLS for a child still in developmental stage of life.

I know where I am and what got me here. I have very little willpower over food, I am self indulgent, and the thing the sleeve is doing for me is taking these decisions out of my hands for period of time, in which I can (hopefully) develope new habits and views on food.

As much as I hate so say it, as a society, we have worshiped at the alter of food way too long. To think that we are passing warped views of food to our children (I am guilty of this) really makes me want to cry.

I to am a little squeamish about this, she does seem too young, but you have to look at the outcome and all the things she will miss, the ridicule about being fat, the growing up unable to do things that most normal children can do and all the life long issues associated with obesity..

As far as surgery goes it is pretty benign in that all that's being done is part of a non essential organ is being removed. We certainly wouldn't worry about an appendectomy would we?

I don't think there is any right answer to this, it's up to the individual and their family and no blanket statement can cover all situations. It looks like the right decision for here.

I think at 12 her growth and metabolism is still in such a flux that a growth spurt or puberty could make a difference. Also at 12, a parent could still control her diet to some extent. IMHO, I would wait until she is through growing and through puberty, but this isn't my kid.

I think 12 is too young as well.

But I'm curious. For those who believe this is too young. At what age/stage is the sleeve appropriate in your opinion? I'm just interested in others thoughts on the topic. Thanks.