Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering why so many go to Mexico for banding?

Bettina,

I'll have those names for you in no time at all, Dr Ortiz gave me a list but I didn't need it. I'll call him no problem (he's in surgery now), then you and Dody can call them all to confirm. I know exactly what a psychic vampire is and she has posted numerous negative responses on this thread. She brought up Penni more than once throughout this thread to try to justify her mexico bashing.

I was banded in Mexico, my surgeon was trained in Mexico. I went because my insurance wouldn't help me get banded at home, and 2 years ago, I couldn't find anyone to do it for less than 20 grand and a year of other diet related medical hoops to jump through that my insurance wasn't going to cover.

I researched for a long time, checked references, spoke with dozens of previous american patients that had used my surgeon, and felt very comfortable with my decision. I wish I had local aftercare, but I have to go to Tijuana for that.

The cost isn't all that expensive for the flight, the hotel and the fill considering they use fluoro. The nearest doc to me who does fills won't see a midband let alone mexico patient, but charges $1000 for a fill with fluoro, plus you pay a fee to the hospital for the fluoro service. I can get to mexico and back in 2 days with a fill and fluoro for under $700 total. I am a very fortunate bandster with no complications to date. I'm a fairly smart cookie, do my homework and choose what I believe will best for myself based on my situation...Mexico for me was a smart choice.

It may not be a better choice for someone else, everyone has to make their own decision based on their own personal cirmcumstances. For folks who have difficulty getting time off or away for trips below the border, health conditions that require more frequent follow up or insurance that covers lapband services really would be wise to consider a local surgeon.

There are good and bad docs all over the globe. Research, ask questions, consider all your options, then choose what's best for you overall.

The nearest doc to me who does fills won't see a midband let alone mexico patient, but charges $1000 for a fill with fluoro, plus you pay a fee to the hospital for the fluoro service. I can get to mexico and back in 2 days with a fill and fluoro for under $700 total.

I can't believe the amount that some Drs will charge for a fill. I set up my aftercare Dr before my trip to TJ and he only charges $100 a fill with fluoro. At least you get a small trip every fill (Hmmm maybe I should have considered telling my husband that I had to go back to TJ since San Diego was so beautiful).

I went to Mexico for a number of reasons. First...Insurance didn't cover it. Ok...I make a more than decent living so i could afford to go to a local doc and pay out of pocket. But in investigating docs in Mexico because of info from this site I found that I actually trusted Dr. Sanchez more than the docs here. No one had the same experience with placing the band than Dr. Sanchez, and his rate of complication was WAY lower than those of the local docs. the man has placed over 6000 bands. that is more than any other doctor I have heard of. The hospital he practices out of is also one of the nicest in mexico, and honestly was nicer than any hospital I have been to here in the states. I even gave birth in a hospital rated the #3 hospital in the country, and the hospital in mexico was nicer than that one. I felt totally at ease, the surgery went well, everything was taken care of and I couldn't be happier. I have chosen a doctor here to get my fills done, and I get my first fill on the 6th of september. It is with Flouro, and the cost is only $200. bonus!

Bettina,

I'll have those names for you in no time at all, Dr Ortiz gave me a list but I didn't need it. I'll call him no problem (he's in surgery now), then you and Dody can call them all to confirm. I know exactly what a psychic vampire is and she has posted numerous negative responses on this thread. She brought up Penni more than once throughout this thread to try to justify her Mexico bashing.

Hi, from Sylvia Brown with fangs!! Penni was only brought up as an example of why I wouldn't go to Mexico along with a number of health problems. I merely read Penni's journal and saw what she had been through and said I'm not going there...my decision. Like I said my surgeon is black so I see absolutely no reason to say I'm bashing anyone....this thread should be closed down for the direction it is taking for sure. I now have one more person to add to the Ignore list. I didn't bash anyone's choices at all...show me where I did?????? It just simply isn't for someone with multiple health problems and neither is this dirt being thrown around. I could personally care less who choses to go to Mexico...I just did'nt.

Enough of fighting with invisible faces and personalities.

I hope Bettina shares all those names :(

Quote by Dody dated 7-24-06

I was banded last Tues. and I am able to swallow pills or eat anything with absolutely no problem. Is this normal? I realize I have no fill, but I feel absolutely no restriction and am quite hungry. I have skipped from liquids and pureeds to solid foods with absolutely no problem. Is this normal? Somehow I thought I would know the band was there, but I don't. Except for the soreness I would never know I had it in there. Has anyone else been able to eat anything they wanted or suffered from hunger. I only ate once today, but I don't think what I ate was on my menu in any way, shape or form. Any help would be appreciated.

If I knew how to hyper-link I would have cause the thread is interresting

I can't believe the amount that some Drs will charge for a fill. I set up my aftercare Dr before my trip to TJ and he only charges $100 a fill with fluoro. At least you get a small trip every fill (Hmmm maybe I should have considered telling my husband that I had to go back to TJ since San Diego was so beautiful).

Glad you liked OUR area. My horses are stabled in San Diego :(

Quote by Dody dated 7-24-06

If I knew how to hyper-link I would have cause the thread is interresting

Sorry thought you were talking about this thread. I'm a mo. out and eating whatever I want....dr's. permission. He told me from the start if I could swallow my pills to take them, and I have. He also moved me along very fast to solids withoiut a bit of trouble on my part. I've never as much as had a gas pain...if you would like to check all the links you will find I've NEVER had anything to complain about. I got excited finding my port for sure, but that is about it. I was simply curious how fast people more along.

I could ask the same...why don't lots of Mexican bandsters have a pre-op diet. Some are eating and drinking up till the night before surgery? I don't see you questioning that doctor's methods.

Have a great day. I'm through with this thread killer anyway....won't be back so carry on all day and fight with each other, because you won't have me to fight with. :(

The problem here stems from lack of respect for other posters' opinions and not following the LBT "Forum and Posting Rules." In case you haven't seen them, or have forgotten them, or are becoming senile and need a quick refresher course, I have copied them below.

This is a valid topic, and an interesting thread, but I suggest everyone read the rules, paying particular attention to #1.

Sorry to join the gang up Dody, but you frequently represent your opinions as truths.

They are also working on a way that the band can't be penetrated...a new wrapping of types. No Mexican dr. is involved in this testing I can assure you.

Do you know this from research or by experience? Or is this just your opinion?

You have the habit of announcing your intention of leaving a thread because you just can't be bothered anymore. Sadly, it seems you can't stick to that resolve. If this thread is heading in a disagreeable direction, change the direction by changing your attitude, or leave it.

There's a contagious bout of "last word syndrome" going around. The only way to avoid contracting it, is to walk away.

LBT Forum and Posting Rules

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->*********************

Forum Rules

Although the administrators and moderators of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Posting Guidelines

1. Don't report other people's experiences as truth. Share your own experiences, thoughts, opinions, theories at will.

2. Attack the idea, not the person. Basic online etiquette.

3. When posting, please show respect. We all deserve it.

4. Please take the really personal discussions to PM or e-mail.

5. Moderators will take a hands-off approach in general. The owners of LapBandTalk.com - Lap Band Talk Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

6. If you have a concern about a post, alert the moderators by using the Report Bad Post button. It's at the top of every post (the exclamation point in the triangle)

<!-- / message -->

DonnaB thank you for reposting the guidelines and rules. I find it rather strange that my name keeps coming into a conversation that I wasn't invited into. Rather Strange indeed!!

Have a great day. I'm through with this thread killer anyway....won't be back so carry on all day and fight with each other, because you won't have me to fight with. :(

I'm sorry to anyone else that may have thought I was arguing with them.

DonnaB thank you for reposting the guidelines and rules. I find it rather strange that my name keeps coming into a conversation that I wasn't invited into. Rather Strange indeed!!

Not at all - I suspect that you got dragged into this particular post because you and Lisa Bones are practically the "poster children" for Mexican lapband patients with complications. Since we ARE in this thread: Did your new doctor tell you (if it was possible to know for sure) if your band problems occurred due to problems with its placement? Or did your body just not like it being there? Or was it something else entirely?