Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so afraid to have this surgery. One day I'm perfectly fine with it and the next I'm totally against it. I see most people on here are doing great, I'm so fixated on the ones who are not. Any words of encouragement? I want to be able to play with my kids and go about my day not constantly aware of my size. I understand this will limit portion size but the fact that you can get only 1/2 oz in at a time? I just can't imagine :(

I am right there with you! I woke up last night asking myself "Are you NUTS??!!" WHy would I cut out a perfectly good organ. I just need more self control, I can do it on my own, this is crazy! Bit for me, the truth is - I can't do it on my own. I know it will still be hard, but I am starting to think of this surgery as a back gate....that even if I try to mess up, it won't let me. I know, I know....any surgery can be "bypassed" - but I am talking about how easy it is right now to just walk into my kitchen and make a bowl of pasta....Not so easy later.

Good luck -

I understand your fears -

let logic help you.....

I am two weeks post op and I would do it again, no hesitation. Yes complications are a real possibility, very unlikely but real. For me the pros far outweighed the cons and I had the surgery. I did all the research I could possibly do and had the best surgeon I could possibly find for myself, and continued doing research even to the morning of my surgery. When I went into that operation room I was 100% sure that this was what I wanted to do. It scared me to think I might have a complication and all of that but I know I had done my research well and had chose wisely. Good luck and hang in there. Do lots of research!

I am almost 6 weeks. Of course there's going to be people with bad experiences... In EVERYTHING. This includes sex. So if every person who had a bad experience made other people not do it, there would be no babies.. LOL. Anyways, everyone is different. We have all been on the cusp of not getting the surgery, but the want and need to be "normal" far out-weigh that. I can honestly tell you I have had not one problem (well Constipation, but what else is new lol) It's hard. And sometimes you really have to work to eat or get your fluids in... But it was so so worth it. I am 46 pounds down in 7 weeks and and tickled pink. I know it's gone for good. Nothing that's worth having comes easy. Good luck honey.

I'm 7 weeks out and doing well. I feel like myself, but the first 4 weeks the meal plans were out of the ordinary, I found I hardly had any hunger but I made sure to meet my requirements for liquid intake and Protein. I'm on regular food now and although I can't eat much, I can eat about 1/2 to 1 cup of food which allows a piece of meat, fish or chicken, salad, fruit, veggies, maybe a little low carb treat, a few whole wheat crackers with tuna or chicken salad, cheeses, lunchmeat, yogurt...and I feel so much better over 60 lbs lighter including pre-op weight loss! You can so do this!

The sleeve surgery is a LIFE change. Unlike the other surgeries this one can Not be undone sorry to be so direct.

Remember why you want the surgery in the first place, are you looking for a quick fix or are you looking to be healthier.

The portions start out at 1/2 oz or less and by the time you are healed (5-6 weeks) you will be eating 4 to 5 oz.

Keep researching, Best wishes to you and on your surgery.

I was terrified of surgery as well, but I was more scared of the possible complications down the road IF I survived to have those complications. I watched my aunt have 20+ surgeries for complications of obesity and I decided that have ONE surgery to help cure my obesity was worth it to avoid all those bits and pieces she's had done. She's had 11 surgeries on her eyes alone to try and save her sight, plus surgeries to help her be able to use her arms (not good), and had toe amputations, almost lost her foot (spent 4 months in the hospital for that one alone). I'll take the sleeve, thanks!

I swear cudlyqt - your post could have been written by me. My surgery is 1 week from today and since I got my date I have been on a roller coaster of emotions. I have also realized that if I could have done this on my own we wouldn't be here talking about it because I wouldn't have a weight issue. The one thing I did today was sit down and write out what I hope to gain here is what I wrote:

‎1 week until surgery and I'm going to post some random thoughts:

1. A little pain for long term results is worth it.

2. My weight loss goal is 8lbs a month which means 10 months and I will meet my total goal.

3. My sleeve is only a tool to help keep me on track, I still have to do the work of diet and exercise.

4. I expect to hit plateaus so my 10 months in #2 may become 12 months or 15 months but I will get there.

... 5. Its my choice what I put in my mouth, I don't want to take up room in my stomach with an unhealthy choice.

So while there may be bumps in the road I'm going to do my best to accomplish what I have set out to do - become a healthier person who make better choices in what she eats!

Of course there is a risk of complications with any surgery. But you need to be aware and realize that if you are obese in the first place, if you do not have it, you will be fighting the excess weight, possible high bp, heart disease, diabetes, and the list goes on and on for the rest of your life.. I personally had NO complications OR pain with this surgery. It has been the best thing I have ever done and I feel so much better and like a completely new person. i never run out of breath anymore from just walking my dog down the street. I no longer have RLS symptoms in my legs, no longer have headaches every night like I did for years. The pros certainly outweigh the cons. You need to realize however, that you are making lifestyle changes with your eating habits. The first few weeks are testy and you will wonder if you will ever eat regular foods again! Yes you can! I am almost 6 months out, can eat anything I want, almost to my goal, and have gone from a size 18 jeans to a size 6. The only thing that hurts is your pocketbook from having to buy all new clothes! Please don't worry, and be patient and follow your doctor's instructions. Good luck.