Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was It Like While You Were Under?

Hello my friends!

I was just wondering for everyone who has had the surgery or who has ever had surgery, what was it like while you were under? Do you know that you are alseep and having surgery? Does it feel like you are dreaming/sleeping or do you just wake up and not remember anything? Just wondering because out of everything involved with vsg I am only scared about the being putting to sleep part. & and i'm scared of having complications because well for one if couse I don't want to die and two I don't wan't to have to be put to sleep again for any more surgeries! I am just freaked out by it!

you feel & remember NOTHING !!! no wories

You go to sleep, then you wake up. I've never dreamed while under anesthesia.

They give you a drug in your IV to relax you then ask you to take deep breath and then you wake in recovery. Easy as pie.

Last time I was under I dreamed of a recent trip I took to Holland for work. I always wake up feeling refreshed also....weird huh?

I must admit, beforehand, being put "under" and relinquishing control was the only thing that scared me about the surgery. I asked them to tell me when the anaesthesia was about to be administered. He did, I felt a cold sensation in the back of my hand (not unpleasant at all so worry not!) and I imagined myself in Florida with my family walking towards the Harry Potter rides in the sun ... what seemed like a minute later I came too with a woman say "hello Alison" followed my "Oh my goodness your eyelashes are real!" ?!

There really is nothing to fear. My advice to you would be to keep calm, relax and picture somewhere that you love and you'll gently and quickly be asleep. Before you know it you'll be joining us on the "losers' bench".

My anesthesiologist was awesome :) He kept yapping at me and asking me questions. I didn't really answer him as I was too busy looking around the OR (I've wanted to be a surgeon since I was very little, I found the whole thing fascinating rather than scary). I was just about to ask someone what this machine thing I saw was for. I looked to the side and.... nothing. LOL. I was out! Next thing I was waking up in recovery... and asking for my mommy lol! They were awesome and actually let her into the recovery room as I had to stay a bit longer just to wait out a shift change or waiting for my room or something like that.

Anyways, I've heard some people say that for them its like no time has passed at all and it can be a little disorienting waking up. I didn't feel that so much. I seriously just felt like I napped after being exhausted.

If it helps set your mind at ease you can always request to talk to the anesthesiologist or his/her nurse beforehand and you can pick their brain :)

lol thanks guys for your answers! About how long were you out for? DId you wake up naturally or did someone wake u up?

One minute i I was chatting with my surgeon the next thing I remember was the recovery room:)

Hello my friends!

I was just wondering for everyone who has had the surgery or who has ever had surgery' date=' what was it like while you were under? Do you know that you are alseep and having surgery? Does it feel like you are dreaming/sleeping or do you just wake up and not remember anything? Just wondering because out of everything involved with vsg I am only scared about the being putting to sleep part. & and i'm scared of having complications because well for one if couse I don't want to die and two I don't wan't to have to be put to sleep again for any more surgeries! I am just freaked out by it![/quote']

This sounds Wrong but I see why micheal Jackson liked. MILK it feels great

I find anesthesia teams to be HILARIOUS... they are so good-natured usually, at least in my experience. I remember 3 of them on my team for the VSG. One was a new resident (I had surgery at a hospital/medical school) who was going to get me on an IV to prep for surgery but I have reeeeally bad veins so he just kind of observed instead. Then there was another resident who was in his last year and he got an IV in me with one poke (impressive!) and he was SO excited about the medicine he had to make me relax LOL. He patted his breast pocket on his scrubs and said, "Now I've got a really, really good treat for you here" which was of course the syringe filled with the relaxation meds. I just laughed... nice to see someone who really loves their job!

Anyway, he put the meds in my IV and I couldn't feel it at all. They then started wheeling me to the OR, and he said as we went that I might start to feel dizzy or forgetful, and I did start to feel loopy then... I was OUT.

Here's what I'll say too - I was TERRIFIED of general anesthesia. I've only ever been gassed before, not through an IV. I had to sign waivers at my pre-admissions appointment, and I had to meet with an anethesiologist who looks you over and explains risks. In addition, I suffered a head injury a while back and was unconscious. During that time I could feel a dream-like state of mind as I was coming too. It was absolutely terrifying, and I was panicked waking up. Anesthesia is NOT like that. It's easy, relaxing and you don't have any sort of awareness while you're under. There's a reason these doctor's can charge almost, if not as much as your surgeon does. They are experts and they'll take good care of you :)

No awareness what so ever. One minute I'm awake in the ER, and the next I'm waking up in recovery. You don't have a normal process of falling asleep, like when you're tired and gradually doze off. It's like a light being turned off.

This may be weird for me to say, but that's how I want to go! Only one general anesthesia surgery so far, and you are oblivious!

All I remember is talking to the anesthesiologist in the OR, then waking up in recovery. No drowsiness or drifting off or anything. Just out.

I'm not sure if they woke me up or if I just woke up. I just remember hearing people talking all around and opening my eyes. The nurse was there and told me that surgery was over and I was in recovery.

its just like, they wre talking to me, then told me to count back, and it was just, lights out! then woke up when they dragged me out of the OR i kept screaming and crying in pain and i was so cold and kept yelling out how cold i was and then they came to see what's happening and next thing i know i was in my room with my parents, it took about 2 hrs but woke up after like 3 hrs or so, but it was okay, just really felt so cold the whole time afterwards.