Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any one in this group go to mexico to get thier surgery?

Lots and lots of people here went to Mexico. We even have a forum about Self-Pay and Mexico sleevers. Check it out for reviews of the various doctors and for posts about people's experiences there! :)

I had my Lap-Band done in Mexico--Dr. Rodriguez in Tijuana. I am going back for my sleeve revision. Had a great experience with him. I completely trust the doctors at the INT Hospital. I considered going through Dr. Almanza (Weightlossagents, he was cheaper) but I heard a lot of negative feedback about things that had happened there, and I heard from a reputable source that they do not use Allergan bands, Johnson&Johnson surgical staples, etc... He has deaths from his surgeries--Dr. Rod has zero. He also speaks English which may not be vital, but it is super re-assuring when you're having a panic attack in Mexico the day of surgery! (Which is what I did the first time!! They gave me a WONDERFUL tranquilizer and I faded into sleep before my surgery!) The anesthesiologist is a beautiful Mexican woman who speaks fluent English as well. She held my hand and hugged me before the surgery. If you have any questions about facilities or contacts, I can help. I do not yet have the sleeve, so I can't comment on that. Good luck!

Loads, some because they had NO insurance, others like me because they HAVE insurance but did not want to wait. YES, there is some inherent danger going to MX, YES, there is little recourse to you should things go wrong and YES it generally is cheaper, quite often cheaper than the costs WITH insurance and it's co-pay and deductibles.

Please do your homework and decide for yourself if it is worth the risk. It was for me.

Yes!! I have and it was an amazing experience!!! I used Dr. Ortiz and if you search "Ortiz" in the forums you will find lots of info. His website is www.obesitycontrolcenter.com

I recomment him highly.... One bit of advice... there are lots of "cheap" doctors...Don't always go for the lowest price!!!

i posted this one one forum and they said i should post here as well.

I am 2 weeks post op from dr Almanza and want to give you guys a heads up...yes DONT forget gas ex strips...none to be had down there..DONT buy alot of the shakes now...your tastes will change!!!! i hate the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury stuff and amm going to return it..i bought way too much....dont get the liquid Vitamins...they go right thru you....i got chewables from Bariatric Advantage but have seen some at another site that look good too.....oh and most importantly, when you have to drink the small bottle of purple dye, do it thru a straw or your teeth will be stained purple and you will look weird for a long time!!! i ended up going to my dentist on the way home since we drove down from phoenix .....had to have the dentist work on the purple for a while....so ended up getting a good cleaning while in Algadonas. We stayed in the hotel Tiquan,,,which is VERY nice. The chefs are gourmet...ask and they will fi x for you....for those who can eat!!!! You get free broth in a gourmet setting and all the popsicles you want from the front desk!!!! close to shopping and a beauty shop almost next door where i got my hair done and felt human again...the girl went to the corner 7-11 and got me a popsicle while i was there too...very thoughtful for her...no charge either...You will love all of the people at Jerusalem.....more of a family type place...the nephews get you ice or Water and they are so respectful when they leave..kissing all their relatives....if you take guests they will be invited to eat the lunch provided for the staff....think the ex said they had enchiladas.....I am down almost 23 pounds since liquid preop diet and i got to have a night of margaritas with andres betencourt...when they did the ekg thye found an irregularity so wanted to be sure they could do surgery....luckily for me that sunday was one of 2 they do surgery on in a month...they went out of their way to find a cardiologist to hook me up to a monitor on the weekend and then read results the next day,,,sure it cost me more but i didnt have to go home and reschedule either...costing even more....everything turned out a okay and i was back and ready by 2 the next afternoon for surgery. They are all professional and you will love Lupita. she does perfect finding veins when they are hard to get...and did it the first time...which many cant do!!! I am excited for you all!!!!! You might want to take your favorite pillow with you, too.

I read that you were out getting your hair done, was this after surgery? I read that a lot of people are out sight seeing and shopping after surgery, is this common?

I had my surgery on a Monday, was discharged on Tuesday and went back to the hotel and was laying out by the pool! Wednesday I spent about 4-5 hours shopping.... Had no issues at all... No Gas, No Nausea and other than soreness there was no pain! Best decision I have ever made and best money I have ever spent!

Good Luck!

people that had the band done were out that night shopping!!!! they are the first to be cut so they are out of the drugs earlier....i felt great and was shopping right after they dropped me off at the hotel the next morning!!! everyone that had it done when i did was feeling great too...didnt ask them what they did but figured they were out too as we had to walk for the gas.....I am down over 50 pounds now and others that were done in may have lost more and less ....i am pleased with what i have lost...i havent felt hungry at all since surgery. i have to force myself to get all the Protein and fluids in....been hard sometimes to do this.... i try to at least get close but there have been times when i couldnt...like one day i had dr appointment and then when i got to work i didnt have a break til almost evening...i carry lots of 20-30 gram Protein Bars for emergencies like that now...i always have a frozen bottle of Water and a large insulated cup full of ice. found that adding the greek yogurt with 23 grams to mashed potatoes gets you to your protein score easier than with milkand water....use the milk and add yogurt after they are cooked. i hadnt had gas since surgery til today but think that my diet for the week has caught up with me!!! i never have gotten sick from eating or any of the other things people talk about. i am going back to him for the mommy makeover.....he said if a large number of our group go, he will rent us a beach house and provide meals for recoup and wait time since we have a large number of people....as well as only charge 5000.....i saw a friend, who had the bypass 9 years ago, on friday...she said she has only gained 12 pounds since surgery...my sleep apnea is almost non existent now....i am glad i did it even when i am sad i cant eat the chips and salsa like i used to.....went out one night to favorite mexican restaurant.....patti and i were really good...ordered chicken grilled, with salad and beans....gave her my salad as still dont eat that...eat about a dozen chips with salsa and a few bites of chicken and took all else home.....no veggies here altho some are eatting...if i get a tostado i have some of the lettuce and tomatoe, but take a lot off....all are heard to chew well and i dont think its worth it...