Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Worst Decision I Ever Made

Hello,

I had a lapband done in 2008. It ended up with a leak and I chose to have the sleeve done : ( beings I did not lose that much weight with the lapband.

I had my my lapband removed a small hernia repair and the sleeve done on May 3, 2012. I had an upper GI done the morning after surgery and all looked well. They started me on fluids and the nightmare begins. I ended up staying in the hospital for 4 days because I could not hold down fluids. I came home and could not hold down anything. Went back to the doctor on May 14,2012 and was sent for another upper GI and sent down for several bags of fluids. The GI came back that I had severe swelling. I went back to the doctor on May17,2012 and was put in the hospital and stayed there until May 24,2012. I had a picc line put in my arm.

I have been home for several days now and it is no better. I still have problems holding down fluids. I have even tried an eye dropper to make sure I am not taking in to much at one time. I was down to 1/2 TEASPOON every 30 minutes and still threw up. I am not able to eat.

I do nothing but cry. My son will be graduating on June 15 and I am hoping I am still alive to see my baby graduate. I am serious I am so afraid that I am going to die from this sleeve. I wake up every morning with a positive attitude and I am like ok today will be a good day and it just gets worst as the day goes on.

I would much rather be 100 pounds over weight than to live the rest of my life like this.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can at least keep down fluids I would appreciate it. I tried ice chips and just letting them trickle down my throat and I still throw up.

I have another doctors appointment on Tuesday.

Please keep me in your prayers. I am so scared.

Mary,

I'm sorry you feel so sick. What is your Doctor saying about all of this? I'm sending a hug, and saying a prayer for you. Think positive, and let's claim your healing now!

Terri

(((HUGS))) Are you on anything for nausea? Also, can your doctor have you come in for hydration often? I never had problems with fluids other than it taking from when I woke up until I went to bed to get in every ounce. I had trouble eating much in the very beginning and was told it was because of swelling. Are you on pain meds? I hope some others will stop in and offer some suggestions for you. Each day should get a little better but the throwing up isn't going to help the swelling go down very fast. Have you tried warm liquids? In the beginning they went down much better for me, try different temperatures of things. What are you trying to drink? I have heard of people who really struggle with plain Water in the beginning also. Maybe try different liquids.< /p>

Congratulations to you and your son, you will make it to see him!

I will pray for you. That is awful! Please stay on the forum and let us know how you are faring.

hello, im very sorry about whats happening to you, but i tink i was on the exact same boat in the beginning it took me months to be able to even take a whole sip of anything, it'll get better, just dont think about it, itll get better! and dont u have lots of proton pump inhibitors? those helped a lot

Poor girl...please keep us posted.

Yikes, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will say some prayers and i hope things get better for you and go smoother soon.

Sigh, I admit after 6 days of pre-op shakes stories like this scare the heck out of me, and I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

I am so sorry. I hope your physician is able to help. I will say a prayer for your speedy recovery.

Praying you feel better soon...

Big prayers!

Prayers headed your way. I hope you feel better soon.

Oh my goodness!! Bless your heart. Your problems sure put my small issues into perspective. How awful for you! I am sure it is probably going to be ok though. It sounds like they know what it is (the swelling?) so that is good. Surely they would have kept you in the hospital if they felt it wasn't safe for you to go home. This is so awful for you right now but I hope and pray that in a few days at the most you will begin to see an impovement. Please keep us posted. Keeping you in my thoughts Mary. I feel confident it will turn out ok. Hang in there!!

Oh Mary... I'm so sorry! There are so many options to control the vomiting! Phenergan gel that you apply to the wrist is amazing. I couldn't handle ice chips or Water when I first started - especially if the water was cold. You're in my prayers... please keep us updated. I speak healing over you in Jesus' name!! Read Jeremiah 29:11 - it's just for you!

Thanks for the prayers everyone.

My doctor is great. He did my lapband so I have been going to him since 2008. He is very supportive. He assures me I will get better and I am not going to die.

I am sure he will send me down for another GI on Tuesday and more fluids.

I have tried hot, warm, cold, it doesnt seem to matter what the temp is. I still throw up. The doctor has put me on nausea meds which I am not nauseated. I am not in any pain at all. They also put me on some meds to help with spasms which makes me really tired.

The doctor told me that with all the swelling and then I throw up which just makes the swelling worst so it is like a vicous cycle.

I just wish I could hold down just a little fluids I think that would make me feel so much better. For being a fat girl I am not hungry LOL...for the first time ever in my life..so I know if I could ever get it all together it will be great...

thanks for the support

Oh my goodness - I really hope you start turning the corner soon. I haven't had my sleeve done yet but I did do a year of chemo so I understand about vomiting and that's really the worst. Its hard enough to go into the surgery with fears of complications and then when you are the one it happens to you begin to wonder why. You will get through this! Lots of prayers sent your way.