Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey guys! I'm about 4 weeks out & I've been trying to get my head wrapped around the feeling of not being able to "party" like most my age. I say this because i know i'll never indulge in alcohol like my peers. I feel like I'm going to be missing the experiences and fun I should be having. anyone feel the same? (don't get me wrong, I don't regret my sleeve AT ALL)

I'm 23 and I'm 3.5 weeks out. I think that once you get all healed up and where you want to be you'll still be able to have plenty of fun, you just won't be able to do keg stands or shot contests.

I would not think of the loss of the binge drinking keggers, or anything similar as missed experiences. You will miss them in a sense, or should, and could soon enough get driunk again, but why?

I have never fell off my roof, flunked a grade, broke any major bones playing a high school sport, etc - like some people I know have, but they arent experiences I "miss" either, lol.

honestly getting drunk is WAY overrated.Im 53 and have been drunk maybe 3 times,one of those times was drugged in my drink,dont remember what happened to me in that time,and it was by the grace of the gods that I made it home alive,I do rememeber dozing off, on the interstate, almost going off the road,but i made it home,and this was done by so called friends.being healthy and happier is I think a lot more important than drinking,and likesomeone said its alot of empty calories,and dehydrates you which isnt good at all

yeah- it's not all that. I'd give the memory of that scene up for the memory of other things that I wasn't able to do at the time, like.... feeling human or good about myself.

Don't forget that alcohol is toxic and cam kill u'. Ur stomach is much smaller and u can easily over do it in 2 sips. People with was have died from alcohol poisoning. I choose Heath over alcohol or drugs.

Hey :) I'm 21 as well and I don't really miss the whole "party" thing. At 7 months out I do enjoy a glass of wine or share a beer occasionally (like, a couple times a month... maybe). I can't do mixed drinks and I haven't tried shots. The reason is because they hit me WAY too fast. I ordered one and I barely took a few sips and my head was spinning. If a drink can affect me that way there is no way I'm trying a shot. My sleeve couldn't handle it. That being said, a glass of wine makes me tipsy. I generally don't like that feeling so I don't normally finish it and I sip it over the entire dinner (if i'm out).

You are right, we cannot "party" like most people. But we can still have a good time. And hey, we are "cheap" dates now right ;) NO complaining there!

I haven't even thought about this! I am 24. Oh noooooo I live in a college town!!! :P

My mom had a similar WLS several years ago and she can party like a rockstar! Just take it easy and focus on your health for a while. :)

How are you feeling other than your withdrawals? Lol...

I have the same alcohol tolerance as pre-op now. It just takes a little longer to work back up. Haha, I still party. Nothing has really changed. It only happens once a month or so anyway.

I had surgery in January and still party with no problems. I've done mixed drinks, shots, wine - no issues at all. I normally indulge in alcohol on the weekends, so 3-4 times a month. And I went on a cruise at the beginning of the month and drank like a fish! LOL! You'll just have to determine what your tolerances are once you're cleared for alcohol.

thankyou all for the replies (good&bad, lol)! im getting the sense that ill find out about my alcohol tolerances on my own. when im ready, of course, & very slowly & wisely. i dont feel too bad about it anymore.

thanx guys!

I feel the same. It has been difficult on me this summer. I have completely stopped going to my parents lake house because all my family and friends do up there is party. HOWEVER the look on their faces when they see me next summer will will make it well worth it. Lol. The alcohol I will hopefully learn to drink in moderation cause in the past that never worked for me. Being 21 is prolly much harder then me being 23 and semi over partying as much as I use to. But I still feel for ya. Anyone who loves their alcohol feels for ya. In the end they don't want you drinking a lot because of liquid calories. In the beginning I think it's ulcers right after surgery. We will all eventually learn to adjust. Good luck!! :-)

You can drink all you want but a WARNING it can be dangerous...i am 4 months out and I drink vodka and white cranberry juice...my cousin who is 1year+ out drinks Smirnoff ice he can drink around 4-5( but he has been past his goal weight loss). I suggest wait till goal and then party on...I am not at goal which is why I drink one or two all night and that is it

Would be Kind of deadly if I were to drink all I want now... Lol