Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Did You Choose The Sleeve?

I am scheduled for Sleeve Surgery August 6, 2012, if approved, and I was wondering why all of you chose the Sleeve and note the Gastric Bypass or the Lap. I am very, very scared and honestly need help in choosing a procedure. I feel the doctors in the Northern NJ area are pushing the sleeve because they want more experience and more information about it, but I am so scared. Any comments are welcome.

I chose the sleeve because I didn't want re-routing of digestive tract. And, almost all the people I knew who had it have gained their weight back. My surgeon's office talked me out of the crap band, and told me about the sleeve. The lap band needs maintenance and then you have a foreign object in your body. I like the fact that with the sleeve the extra stomach is actually removed, rather than just sitting there, probably still producing all that grehlin. If your surgeon needs more experience, then maybe you should look for one that already has the experience, you don't want him getting his practice on you. Don't be afraid to ask how many sleeves he's done and how many leaks and/or other complications he's had. Good luck.

Thank you! My surgeon and his partners have done 1000's, but it still seems experimental to me. I have been reading stories from others that had it about nausea, Constipation, dehydration, dizziness...I can't have that, I have 3 kids and I care for my elderly father! The nutritionist told me that with all 3 surgeries, you are able to eat the same amounts...do you think that is true?

My sisters had gastric bypass and my niece had the sleeve. I have watched them go through their processes and decided the sleeve was the best option for me. Its less evasive, only one incision line vs 3, no re-routing of the small intestines and most importantly, not much Vitamin deficiencies. Any type of surgery is scary. My sisters and niece do not regret the procedures. They have been really honest about the procedure ups and downs. Its alot of soul searching as well. Best of luck to you!

Thank you! My surgeon and his partners have done 1000's' date=' but it still seems experimental to me. I have been reading stories from others that had it about nausea, Constipation, dehydration, dizziness...I can't have that, I have 3 kids and I care for my elderly father! The nutritionist told me that with all 3 surgeries, you are able to eat the same amounts...do you think that is true?[/quote']

Hi pebbles!

I was in your shoes a few months ago.. So scared and all I thought about was my 3 kids! I choose the sleeve over the band bc of the amazing results and I did alot of research and found it to be overall safe.

I don't regret doing it for a minute..

Who is your surgeon? I'm from jersey too. My surgeon was dr. Goyal, he's amazing!

bella143, my surgeon will be Dr. Trivedi in Paramus. What is a typical day of eating for any/all of you...if you can, give portion sizes too!

I chose the sleeve because I knew I couldnt deal with the fills/unfills to find my "sweet spot". My insurance only covered fills for a certain amt of time and afterward it would've been $200 per fill/unfill. Also because its silcone and Im on in 20s my surgeon said at some point in my life I would have to get it replaced. 15-20years from now I dont know what insurance Im going to have. I also dont want to have to go under the knife again. The bypass is wayyy too invasive and I knew that wouldnt be the route for me.You have alot of time til surgery so just way the pros and cons of each procedure. Good luck.

Pebbles it may seem like the sleeve is new, but it's actually not. There's a category of overweight called the Extreme Morbidly Obese. For those the option that was chosen over gastric bypass was a surgery called the Duodenal Switch. Patients would go through all the hoops and have the sleeve surgery. They would lose a certain amount of weight and then about 10 months to a year later they would go back in for a second surgery, the duodenal switch.

Doctors started to note that goal weight was being achieved with just the Gastric Sleeve and the second part of the surgery was canceled. Since the sleeve was considered part of a two-part (two surgeries) it does not have it's own Medicare Code. Many insurance companies sort of follow what the Government considers the norm.

Also, since it was not considered a stand-alone surgery it took a little while to get the data back on where the sleeve stands in comparison to Lap Band and Gastric Bypass. There have been so many issues in the past with lap band, and now so many revisions, or people having to get it taken out and problems with adhesions many surgeons are backing away from doing lap band lately because of it.

The sleeve has been around for a while now, but the statistics are showing that in the long run it is comparable with Gastric Bypass with less complications from dumping, malnutrition, etc. Of course, it's a surgery so it's not full-proof, some people have issues with it.

I only wanted the sleeve, I had no interest in Gastric Bypass, however, with Gastric Bypass there is less issue with GERD or acid reflux, that has given me some pause because I suffer from acid reflux, but then I realized, wow that's because i was eating late at night and eating too much. Since I started the 6 month pre-supervised diet I haven't had any issues with acid reflux in months and I haven't been sleeved yet.

Good luck on your decision making and what you are doing is awesome, research research research and start working on adjusting the way you eat now, eat your meats first, vegetables second, lower your carbs, and try practice not drinking with your dinner, try to lower your caffeine in advance because you will have to give up caffeine. Try to monitor what you are eating in advance by joining something like myfitnesspal.com and keep track of your Water, Protein & carb intakes.

Lap band was not an option for me. I live in India, and our diet is not suitable for band. My choices were GB and VSG, and I knew from Day 1 that I would choose VSG. It is the whole malnutrition thing. I dont like to be on meds on a regular basis, and If I had GB, I would have to take Iron, Vitamins and Calcium forever. I did not want that.

I also liked the concept of eating whatever you can but having limited amounts. I like to treat myself every now and then, and I thought I couldnt do that with GB. So I chose VSG.

All the best for your surgery! Do your research and choose whichever you think would work for you! :)

I chose the lapband in '09. Big mistake!!! I was just thinking a few minutes ago how many times my husband and I would go out to eat and when we were leaving I would have to get him to pull over so I could vomit. I vomited in sooo many public places. Aside from that joy, I couldn't eat most healthy foods like chicken, turkey, veggies, salad... The lapband was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off. I'm glad I have it out and have the sleeve now. I can eat without vomiting. The weightloss is a bonus!!!

Gastrectomy has been performed for many, many years on cancer patients.

I chose the sleeve because of my desire to compete in triathlons. I was worried that if I had gastric bypass I would not be able to fuel my body correctly and/or take in the additional carbs needed when exercising for long periods of time.

I am soooooo happy with my choice!! Sure, there are times when I wish I could eat more, or eat something that I know won't agree with my sleeve....but, I wouldn't change a thing and I'd do it again in a heart beat!!!! I love the new life I'm living and ill be doing my first triathlon in 4 weeks!!

I was going to have the lap band,but the dr i was seeing,closedup shop and moved upto phx,and im not about making all those trips back andforth,so they sent my file to dr.Monash and Welle office here in tucson, the best thing that has ever happened to me! The 1st dr all he did was lap band,nothing else. I had gone to a support group help by Dr Monash and talked to him after the meeting,telling him I was going to his office and why(the other dr leaving) and he told to "keep my mind open" so when I saw my surgeon,and he explained all three peocedures,the down time was all the same(which was important to me) I chose the sleeve.and I am very happy that I did,and would do it again in a heartbeat.I guess its normal to be scared before an operation,I personally was never afraid,i knew the procedure ,backwards and forwards, what to expect and I fully trusted my surgeon,and I guess the rest is history

I chose the sleeve due to the failure rates of the others. I have seen to many people fail with the lap band and the bypass and that was not an option I wanted. I felt with the sleeve I could make my weight lose and not have to many worries. I have failed at losing weight all my life and this time I didn't want to.

I was sleeved in December of 2011 and have not regretted it. The weight is coming off slow but it gives my body time to adjust to the changes. I LOVE my sleeve.

I eat 4 to 5.5 oz of food at each meal, depending on what it is, and I don't have to worry about sugars (dumping). I can eat what ever I want as long as it agrees with my new stomach, LOL.

I wish you all the best in your choice, if you are having doubts about your doctor check out a different doctor ask a ton of questions leave no stone unturned it's your health.

I agree with what most of your responders have commented. I did not want a surgery that was so invasive like the gastric bypass as well as the longer recovery time. I never considered the lap band, several people I know had this surgery and have ended up like a yo-yo, gain, lose, gain, lose. I wanted the least invasive, most successful procedure out there. I believe I found that with the sleeve. I am 26 months post surgery. I started at 279 lbs and am now at 149 lbs. It took me 14 months to lose 130 lbs, and I have remained stable for the past year. I have NEVER thrown up--maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't eat any bread, it does tend to make me a little nautious, but that is the only food that bothers me. MODERATION is the definitive word here. Listen to your body and don't overeat. This surgery has changed my life and I have NEVER regretted my decision. I am 55 years old and feel like I wasted the last 25 years, allowing my weight to dictate my activity. Don't be afraid of the surgery, be more concerned that without the procedure, you are on a collision course with much scarier things. You know what I'm talking about. I hope you come to terms with your fears and move forward. Since I was self-pay, once I had the initial consulation, all the tests, etc, I had my surgery within 3 weeks. I never had time to fret over it--maybe that was good. Too much time = too much worry. You can do this!

Same here, didn't want a plastic gizmo floating around in my gut (band) that would have to eventually be removed or replaced and didn't want my digstive tract severed TWICE and stomach disected (as with RNY bypass) and rejoined.

I think overall, ALL proceedures have a great chance of success, the sleeve is minimally invasive and permanant. 1 1/2 years out and I've lost it and so far kep it off, and unless something drastically changes I will KEEP it off.