Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Do The Gastric Sleeve Again?

I guess I have to be the one to say...I regret having the sleeve done. I do.

I'm 6 weeks post op, and am still miserable. I went from being able to pull a 16 hour shift at work with no problem, to not being able to handle a short trip to the grocery store. I have become totally lactose and wheat intolerant post-surgical. I developed a large blood clot post surgery and had to spend an additional week in the hospital. I can't get life insurance through my previous company now...because of this surgery (it's an auto-exclusion). I can't eat with other people any more...because I have no idea if what I'm putting in my mouth will give me near-instant heaves and diarrhea, even if I've had that food before with no issues.

Sure, I've lost weight - but I'm still wearing the same clothes as pre op. I wish I would have tried to diet more earnestly instead of this.

Consider well before you continue, because you can't go back. Pre-op, I was so convinced that I would be like "everyone" else - happy, motivated. I was not prepared to be one of the few who will be lucky to survive this ordeal mentally and physically in one piece.

Yes, absolutely! With zero hesitation I would.

Long term scientific results of this surgery aren't readily available because it hasn't been used by itself for very long. The sleeve was originally used as the first part of the old duodenal switch procedure. So the sleeve itself is not new, but by itself it is. Before having my surgery I researched the long term effects of "gastrectomies" in general. People have parts or all of their stomachs removed for other reasons, such as cancer, ulcers, trauma, etc. Their positive results helped set my mind at ease and proceed with my sleeve.

I'm 6 weeks post op, and am still miserable. I went from being able to pull a 16 hour shift at work with no problem, to not being able to handle a short trip to the grocery store. I have become totally lactose and wheat intolerant post-surgical. I developed a large blood clot post surgery and had to spend an additional week in the hospital. I can't get life insurance through my previous company now...because of this surgery (it's an auto-exclusion). I can't eat with other people any more...because I have no idea if what I'm putting in my mouth will give me near-instant heaves and diarrhea, even if I've had that food before with no issues.

Sure, I've lost weight - but I'm still wearing the same clothes as pre op. I wish I would have tried to diet more earnestly instead of this.

Consider well before you continue, because you can't go back. Pre-op, I was so convinced that I would be like "everyone" else - happy, motivated. I was not prepared to be one of the few who will be lucky to survive this ordeal mentally and physically in one piece.

You're just 6 weeks after major surgery. You've had a few issues but I'd like to hear back from you after 6 months.

I'm 6 weeks post op' date=' and am still miserable. I went from being able to pull a 16 hour shift at work with no problem, to not being able to handle a short trip to the grocery store. I have become totally lactose and wheat intolerant post-surgical. I developed a large blood clot post surgery and had to spend an additional week in the hospital. I can't get life insurance through my previous company now...because of this surgery (it's an auto-exclusion). I can't eat with other people any more...because I have no idea if what I'm putting in my mouth will give me near-instant heaves and diarrhea, even if I've had that food before with no issues.

Consider well before you continue, because you can't go back. Pre-op, I was so convinced that I would be like "everyone" else - happy, motivated. I was not prepared to be one of the few who will be lucky to survive this ordeal mentally and physically in one piece.[/quote']

You have had some major problems for sure and I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that. I can tell you that I did not feel back to myself wholly until about 8 weeks. I was weak, tired, hungry, irritable and nauseated for 8 weeks. Then everything changed for me and today I am almost 11 weeks post op and I can honestly say for about 3 weeks now I feel back to normal, better than normal as I am 40 lbs lighter. I can eat anything, but I also follow all the rules (this has helped me with nausea), no sodas, no drinking while eating and no drinking for at least 30 minutes after I eat (for me it's at least an hour), low carb, high Protein, etc. This along with listening to my body when I'm full has helped curb the nausea. I thought I was lactose intolerant too and realized I was drinking too soon after eating and this was making me sick. I'm not saying this is your issue, but my point is that I have finally learned what works for MY sleeve and what doesn't. I think you'll get there too. I feel way different than I did at 6 weeks and soooooo much better. So yes, I would do this again, but 15 years ago, but if you asked me this at 6 weeks I would have said no too.

Love. This. Thread.

It's hard not to smile when you hear from so many happy people!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You're just 6 weeks after major surgery. You've had a few issues but I'd like to hear back from you after 6 months.

That is correct - and I have had major surgery before WITHOUT these particular results.

I apologize - I thought OP was looking for a variety of feedback. I know that prior to my own surgery, all I saw was glowing reports of people mowing their lawns with push-mowers at 3 days post op, running in charity runs at 4 weeks post-op, eating a whole Chalupa from Taco Bell at 3 weeks post-op. I felt it was a reasonable expectation to be somewhat "normal" functioning at the one month mark. I wish I would have known and had the opportunity to speak with people who had a less-than-super experience, so that I fully knew what the possible outcomes were. Even though I am a nurse and have some clinical knowledge of what can happen post-surgically, nothing takes the place of talking to someone who has actually been there - it helps you make a more accurate decision.

I'd do the sleeve again. I remember talking to a colleague pre-surgery about his neighor who had lost sixty pounds (at that time) from her WLS. I thought to myself "Wow, That's amazing! I'd love it if I could lose sixty pounds, too!" Well, here I am at 9 months post op and I've lost 100+ pounds!

I had to have 3 surgeries total to get my sleeve because of blood clot issues, but I'd have all three surgeries again, and twice on Sunday, in order to be as happy and healthy as I am today. And, I've still got about 60 pounds until I get to goal. :)

So sorry to hear about your issues and I certainly wish you well and a speedy recovery. This is one thing that I do not hesitate to mention SOME CAN AND DO HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SURGERY. While the odds are against it, it is certainly a possibility, unfortunately you seemed to have fallen on the wrong side of the odds.

I'm sorry to hear about the insurance, you SHOULD be able to get it after a certain period of time. This would of been wise to check in to BEFORE the surgery.

I have to wonder how you got as far as having the actual procedure if you sincerely think that you COULD lose weight by simply dieting. I know I tried and failed many times and never could lose and maintain the loss for any amount of time until I was sleeved.

Yes, I also emphasis this too, THERE IS NO RETURN. Once that portion of the stomach is excised there is NO GOING BACK. The VSG is a ONE WAY street and it can NEVER be "removed" or "corrected". If this is of particular importance to you then please consider alternatives like the band or balloon.

Again, we all wish you well and a speedy recovery and ultimate success in the procedure, I certainly hope it will all work out for you in the end.

Thanks for sharing CrazyCat Lady. I'm sorry to hear that it's gone poorly for you and hope that things turn around.

Surgery is funny stuff. About 7 years ago I had a rotator cuff repair form which I woke up smiling. I recovered from that operation very fast and had virtually zero problems. Two years later I had a bone spur removed in my ankle, a less involved surgery that took but a few minutes. My experiences after that very minor operation were quite negative. I was in a foul mood for about a week, had more pain and the anesthesia absolutely kicked my butt. I was in a very complex class the week after surgery and because of the anesthetics I was unable to concentrate enough to get the benefit of the class. It was a sad deal.

In my case, I blame the anesthesiologist. In fact, there's a note in my chart specifying that he never be involved in my treatment again. I didn't care for his manner pre-op and I suspect that he overdid it with the drugs. There's no way to prove anything but I'll refuse his services in the future.

Anyhow CCL, I hope that things turn out better for you as time goes by. Stick with the program and make the most of it and I'm certain you'll be fine in the long run plus all of the advantages of being slender.

Absolutely YES!!! I am 9 weeks out and am down 35 pound from surgery and 58 total. I am very happy with how things are going.

Not even a month out and my answer is YES!

In a heartbeat, down about sixty pounds at four months and less than thirty from goal. I was back swimming at two months post op and feel very normal.

Hugs! It sucks when WLS does not go as we were told it would. I have the band and never got restriction. Hoping to revise to VSG.

I will say this: Almost eveyone I know LOVES their VSG, so I think after you have a little more recovery time you will feel differently.

Good luck!