Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insenstive or too sensitive

OK, you tell me. I had surgery done -someone at my work had it done too. She is forever on a race with me, comparing how much I have lost to hers. I don't want to race and she actually gave me some of her clothes "that are too big". Now, trying not to be a bitch, but, um, if they are too big for you why the F*()*( do you think they are going to fit me? We have both lost about the same, not much, about 30 pounds. I think of myself as realistic; 30 pounds is great - clothes fit better, maybe a size difference. Her thought, as she throws it around to everyone constantly, is she is down 8 sizes! Oh Please. Am I being too sensitive and should chill or is this truly annoying?

Well, I do think this is truly annoying, but I also think you just have to chill.

Don't talk to her about how much you've lost, or how many sizes, all that. You could either just take the clothes and say something like "thanks - do you mind if I pass along stuff that's too big for me?" maybe?

30 pounds is indeed great!

I agree. That is most annoying and if she feels that she needs to compete, then that is her choice. But you are doing fantastic and you should keep that in mind. Have you tried talking to her to let her know it bothers you?

Excellent advise from lisah!!!!

It's annoying to you, so chances are it's annoying to others too. Sometimes it's really really hard, but you'll be happier in the long run if you take the high road. When I can take that advise myself, I'm always glad I did. When I can is the key here!

Good luck.

I love the phrase that lisah gave you "mind if I pass along the things that are too big?" And then just NEVER wear anything she's given you. Eventually she may catch on. Nah! Probably not.

Tell her you forgot what your scale read at home and you will get back to her. Then the next day say "oh I forgot again". Just go thru this over and over and she will get the hint.

Get the nearest Salvation Army or Goodwill on the way home from work and hand them back to her and tell her to take them there. Under no circumstances take them. Just sit them at her desk/cubicle or area with a mapquest taped to them. She is trying to insult you. Do not let her do this to you. Some people will respect you at work for taking a stand.

Keep you own self respect.

edie

First of let me tell you that it took me 75 pounds to get down from a 24 to a 14 and I have an average body shape/size. I am pretty proportionate. If she has lost 20 pounds and 8 sizes she must have been wearing clothes that were huge on her and now stuff that is skin tight. I would tell her about freecycle, it is a place to give away clothing and such that you no longer need. And the stuff goes to a person that will actually use it. I do this will my daughters clothing and toys that are ready to go. Explain to her that you are losing too and her clothes are just as big on you as they are on her. ~Mandy

Oh, oh! I got it!

Take the clothes and SELL THEM ON EBAY! LOL

OK, I know they're not worth anything unless they're designer or something but, the idea made me laugh. If you actually did sell them you could use the money to buy clothes that actually fit you! AND show her the receipts so she'll know how much money she made for you. lol

I actually think Mandy and Edie have the best idea - give the clothes to charity - but make her take them there in her car, using her ga$. Unless you're itemizing your taxes that is! lol

I know, I know.

Oh, oh! I got it!

Take the clothes and SELL THEM ON EBAY! LOL

OK, I know they're not worth anything unless they're designer or something but, the idea made me laugh. If you actually did sell them you could use the money to buy clothes that actually fit you! AND show her the receipts so she'll know how much money she made for you. lol.

LOL I like that :mad:

Better yet, she needs to list the clothes, then e-mail the E-bay link to the snot who gave them to her with the subject "thought you might be shopping for some new stuff"!

LOL I like that :mad:

Better yet, she needs to list the clothes, then e-mail the E-bay link to the snot who gave them to her with the subject "thought you might be shopping for some new stuff"!

Ooooooh! You're even meaner than ME! lol

lisah, I'm telling your Momma on you.

Ooooooh! You're even meaner than ME! lol

lisah, I'm telling your Momma on you.

Who do you think I learned if from? :guess

I am in a similar situation. I simply say that I would rather see the clothes go to someone less fortunate. Besides, it is so much fun shopping for NEW clothes in smaller sizes.

I have also asked my friend to please stop cleaning her closets into my house. I have my own baggy clothes to pass on...

I didn't buy new for each size, I did loads of resale shopping but now that i am getting closer to goal I am starting to look at a whole new wardrobe and the mall is starting to call my name. ~Mandy

She sounds very "exuberant" your co-worker. I think that it's fair to tell her that you don't want to "compete" as this "stresses" you or whatever. I try not to say much....I let people notice then say that I'm excited at what is happening and can't wait to lose more!! I asked my aunt if she would be insulted if I mailed my clothes and she said "INSULT ME!" and laughed!!! About the clothes I would tell her ya know I love the idea of you thinking of me....but I'm thinking we're near the same size and maybe you could donate them somewhere else?!? Say it w/ a smile!! How can she get upset!?

You are doing AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -78lbs :mad:

My SIL and I were banded together (well at the same time...banded together created quite the visual!) anyway...she called me everyday wanting to compare weight loss, it was one big race to her...until she fell behind. She no longer asks me about my weight loss, she avoids the subject. She has VERY poor eating habits, survives on Cheetos, ice cream, and mashed potatoes. I have splurges....but nothing like that!!! I have now lost double what she has. But she doesn't know that, I will not rub it in, like she did to me in the begining when she was losing faster than I was. That sucked!!!When her weight loss stalled, so has the race! Keep plugging along, and use it to your advantage, it gives you additional motivation, to stay the course and do well!!! I like Lisah's dignified response about passing them on to someone else....classy!

Good Luck--I've been there!!!

Kat

I think anytime that the lady at work wants to compare weight loss I'd let her go first. And no matter what I'd be losing a pound or two more than her even if I wasn't.

People that do things like that are just busy bodies. The ebay thing was good....lol

Take care and happy losing,

Kathy W.