Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 9.5 months out and a few of mine are raised on the right side. The left ones are flat and pencil thin. the others look like little red grub worms.. yuck. I am hoping they start to fade like the doc says they will. He said they were normal. I guess I dont heal as pretty as others do. Im still waiting on them to fade and be flat.

When was the last time your doctor looked at them? Might not hurt to have them looked at.

I am almost 9 months post-op and my incisions are still res and raised...

DallasMom

Are you going to be seeing your dr. soon? Regardless, i would call him sooner than later. Having incision still being red, IMO doesn't sound great, you should check it out.

I'm sure you will be fine, just check it out with the doc. Never be afraid to talk to the doc if you have any problem/question - he is there for you - always

best

kathy

I son't scare well and most anytime I have an incision of some sort it ends up raised and red. But Vitamin E oil helps diminish the scare. You just rub it on the scar a couple of times a day. Give it a try. :-)

I have one that is raised, but I hate to admit this ... I kinda pick at it. I know ... gross ... but, we try to be truthful here as it may help someone else.

I'm a picker, though. Scabs, fingernails ... drives my wife nuts. I should just put some ointment and a bandaid on it and leave it so it can heal, but ...

All my surgical scars stay red for about a year or more. Eventually they turn white but it takes a while. VSG scars are no different - still red.

All 5 of mine are flat except for the biggest one where they took the excess tummy out but they are still darker, not so much red, where the incision is. I am 3 1/2 months out. The other 4 are almost non existent now but I am a fast healer.

These are called keloids. Some people are more susceptible to them than others. You should go to the dermatologist office early so they can give you cortisone shots to bring down the inflammation while the tissue is still soft.

What about Mederma?

Mederma helps with the discoloration ( not much from my experience) but usually only if youre diligent about it and the scar is new. Trust me ive had a keloid since i was 13. Im 24 now. I didnt try to do anything til i was probable 16. And it grew!! If u wear anything that irritates that scar it will grow and protect it from sunlight. If ur wearing a bathing suit get gooood sunblock. You can also purchase pressure bandages from the pharmacy.. Kinda expensive and they help smooth out the scar but again, diligence. If you get cortisone shots, you must try to get them every week! Many doctors will not cut out the keloid because for 90% of people, if you have one, you are a keloid former and the scar may just come back bigger and angrier! One plastic surgeon wanted to try cutting it out and then doing radiation to stop the skin cell growth (keloids are when your skin believes it needs to grow more tissue to help you heal but doesnt know when to stop), i know it sounds radical but can you guys imagaine.. I have one huggge one right below my clavicle in the DEAD center of my chest!!!!! Soooo believe meeee buddies.... I will try everything!! My keloid started out as probable 1 cm... It is now 3 x 4 cm now. I have this complex now about it???? when people meet me, they immediately look at my chest n then back at my eyes trying to seem as tho they didnt just give my keloid a second glance thinking "what the hell is that?!" as you can see i know bout these scars so if you guys have any questions pls dont hesitate to ask☺