Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success But Whose Really?

A girl who lost the weight on her own and then gained it back said I was an inspiration when she saw my photos. I told her that is was the surgery, not me. I am grateful for the surgery, but I didn't have to do much to lose the weight except for have the surgery. I don't think it was an easy way out, but I don't want to be an inspiration. The surgery is a difficult decision to make and as long as you make the decision to do it you are now a risk taker and there is no reward without risk. I not an inspiration. I am a mirror that you look into giving you the vision to see that you can take the risk too.

I disagree. You are an inspiration because you chose to change your life - whether by surgery or another way - and you lost weight. The surgeryade your stomach smaller, but you are an inspiration becaus you chose to follow your diet plan andose weight. Even with a smaller stomach, if you had chosen to eat horribly, you would not have lost or wouldn't have lost as much. You should embrace the fact that you can be an inspiration for others and cherish the choice you made to be healthy, which encourages those around you to be healthy too - no matte what road they choose to get healthy!

I disagree. You are an inspiration because you chose to change your life - whether by surgery or another way - and you lost weight. The surgeryade your stomach smaller, but you are an inspiration becaus you chose to follow your diet plan andose weight. Even with a smaller stomach, if you had chosen to eat horribly, you would not have lost or wouldn't have lost as much. You should embrace the fact that you can be an inspiration for others and cherish the choice you made to be healthy, which encourages those around you to be healthy too - no matte what road they choose to get healthy!

I couldn't say it better myself.

You made the decision to change your life, june13sleever. The sleeve does make weight loss easier but it wasn't a free ride either to thindom. Don't sell yourself short!

Well, I beg to differ. I dont think the surgery is necessarily the only thing a person has to do to lose weight. Its the biggest part and I agree that its a great tool but what about the rules you have to follow strictly to be sucessful? You have to eat Protein first, exercise, not drink your calories and the list goes on and on. I know several people who have not been as sucessful as others and it pertains to that aspect of it. A person is not just home free after surgery. You have to work at it, its only a tool to be used.

It has seemed easy for me too but it fit in with my lifestyle and that is why I have been so successful without much ado. Its been relatively easy so far for me. I do consider myself a success and I do contribute it to me working with my tool, eating healthier, exercising, etc.

Just another point of view on the same topic. Do not intend to offend. Not saying you are wrong, just saying I have a different view. I believe you are a success and an inspiration! You have inspired me along the way! :)

I chose to be my own inspiration, and in doing so, have inspired others. My whole attitude towards life has changed because I CHOSE ME! I decided I was worth making the repairs needed to enjoy my life. I have since run 2 half marathons with 3 more halves, plus a full marathon, plus an obstacle race planned this year and much more for next year. Yes, I had surgery. And yes, losing the weight was relatively easy. But only because I followed the rules and started running and weightlifting. The surgery started it, but I'm going to damn well finish it!!!!!

As a person who loves, and I do mean loves food, I will argue with anyone who tells me I did it the easy way. It is not easy to give up your life long friend( food).it is the hardest addiction there is. We need food to survive. We don't need alcohol, drugs, sex and smoking to survive.

We all are choosing a tool to help us be healthy and fit. The first few weeks is not pretty on the journey to WLS. Starving yourself is not fun.Im talking pre op diet and post op diet, it's so boring. Now at 4 weeks post op, and 35lbs lighter, it does get better. I'm trying to make many changes in my life. I have now replaced my obsession and love for my food to exercise!

For me, the weight does not just fall off, I'm a lower BMI girl, been harder to lose. But so worth it! Everyone, be proud of your choice, for some it's easier than for others. I am truly going to appreciate this permanent weight loss!!

Good luck to us all

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Well, I'm going to say I totally understand where you're coming from! =)

I chose not to go public about having WLS, because frankly I was ashamed I needed it and I don't want to have to deal with anyone judging or voicing their opinion about my decision to have surgery. I have a few close friends and family who know and that's about it. I don't think I took an easy way out and I don't think it's easy not eating all my former foods but I could never have lost this weight without surgery.

I get a little embarrassed when people make a big deal about the weight I've lost and I tell very few people exactly how much I've lost. People always ask how I did it and for the most part I say that I follow a strict Portion Control and Protein first eating plan which is true but I feel a bit like a fraud giving anyone advice about loosing weight or comparing what I've been able to accomplish (which is fantastic and I'm so, so, so grateful for) to what someone without the tool of VS might accomplish.

I get both sides. I'm proud of what I've been able to do but because I'm not "out" about having surgery I feel strange about "owning" or bragging about my weight loss.

You are an inspiration :)