Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some People Just Don't Get It

It seems like most people don't want you to make a healthy lifestyle change with their behavior geared towards sabotaging your diet. Why is that? "c'mon, one bite won't make a difference", "you better eat this while Ur able to", our when they get something and then proceed to eat out in front of you (which isn't that terrible) and tell you "Ur really missing out...here just try a nibble" It seems silly that someone who cares for you wouldn't give you the support u need to stay on track. I get this pretty often and it irks me. Sorry, I'm just venting and I know there is another forum for that but I feel like this one is the one I'm most comfortable with

I hear you. I really don't think people intend it as sabatage. I think we live in a culture in which so much revolves around food that it is difficult to conceptualize anything different. It is the way that we entertain, Celebrate and show people we love them. So it is hard when we decide to make different choices. Good luck to you! I know you will be able to stay the course.

Thanks. I'm gonna be like Dory and "just keep swimming, just keep swimming"

I honestly think the next time someone does that I'm gonna say something gross. Like "omg I had the biggest booger this morning" or talk about diarrhea...u know what I mean. I'm evil like that

My personal favorite tactic is to say "No thanks. I'm not hungry" and I keep repeating it until the person who is trying to force food on me gives up. I nearly gave in to lemon cheesecake today, though. That one was tough.

I agree with the diarrhea tactic. If someone says/does something negative regarding my surgery, I am going to start talking, in detail, about diarrhea.

My experience with my family has been similar. I have a cousin that could benefit from the surgery and there were some kind of offending comments made when I got home from having the surgery. I went to visit her and her husband said I am sure you have something from Mexico left inside you from surgery. This was to imply that I received sub standard care. My cousin also immediately started making every bit of junk food in her kitchen for her and her husband to eat and then said "I am so sorry to eat in front of you. You must be starving huh?". It really hurt my feelings but then I realized while I am getting healthy they will still be in the same situation. It didn't even bother me that they were eating and it actually disgusted me to watch them eat so I guess the jokes on them. I just thought they would be more supportive but I guess I gave them too much credit.

I am laughing my butt off reading this. :D

I'm with u! This will be my new tactic! And after I talk about the consistency of my bowel movements I'm gonna try like heck to squeeze out a fart for good measure. (except someone posted "never trust your farts" so maybe it'll be a shart, but I'm sure either way I'll be left alone)

@2bsmallagain

I could have wrote that same post

My whole family are obese, with the exception of

the children( except my two year old niece, she's already obese, very sad) My two children both girls 25& almost 17, are in good shape. Now that I am only about 30 pounds away from my oldest, she doesn't like itwell they do but they dont. Both keep saying, uh no you can't be smaller than us. So now they work out with me.

The youngest is always telling me to have just a little bite, she feels bad eating in front of me.

Today she had my type of Snacks while we were at the laundromat, she liked it!! cheese sticks and watermelon chunks!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

@2bsmallagain

I could have wrote that same post

My whole family are obese, with the exception of

the children( except my two year old niece, she's already obese, very sad) My two children both girls 25& almost 17, are in good shape. Now that I am only about 30 pounds away from my oldest, she doesn't like itwell they do but they dont. Both keep saying, uh no you can't be smaller than us. So now they work out with me.

The youngest is always telling me to have just a little bite, she feels bad eating in front of me.

Today she had my type of Snacks while we were at the laundromat, she liked it!! cheese sticks and watermelon chunks!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My daughter is also in great shape. She told me mom you cannot be smaller than me. I just laughed because the thought was just funny. She told me we needed to work out together. The difference between my daughter and my cousin is my daughter is willing to work on herself and not sabotage me. I also think it will bring us closer (if that is possible) and give us a common goal.

My daughter is 100% behind me having the surgery and eating healthier. she actually said "I hope you get down to my size before school starts so I'll have more clothes to choose from". She is 15 and in a size 9. I told her that it may take a little longer than that and she said "well at least you dress cool so one day I'll have an expanded wardrobe". Only a 15 year old would say that. Lol

Seems like it's the people my age that does it. My sister even does it and she was bigger than I am until she had her Lapband. You'd think she would be the one that is most supportive, but she isn't.

I guess I've been lucky. I haven't faced many sabotage attempts (yet?). For the most part people I know have been very supportive and don't push food on me when I say no thank you to junk food.< /p>

My mom calls me skinny but not in a "OMG YOU ARE TOO THIN YOU NEED TO EAT" type way that I hear people here often get.

Mmm, lemon cheesecake! LOL thanks, Lissa ;)

well if you want the cheese cake, buy he bariatric kind and add lemon to it...you can get 7 servings and have all you want then.....i ordered some for variation in diet on ways to get Protein, ,,,,some days i can have desert and not feel quilty that way