Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was drinking Decaf coffee almost immediately after surgery and I still drink decaf regularly. I haven't had "regular" coffee more than a very few times since surgery and I really don't miss it. I had a major diet coke addiction pre-op and the caffeine withdrawal was horrid, so I'd prefer not to repeat that process.

Caffeine is a diuretic and we need all the hydration we can get, which is another reason to avoid the caffeine.

*sigh* I wish that I had taken Lissa's path, but I drink half-caf every day. I waited until I was about 4 months out.

I was never restricted from coffee. In fact, I was given it in the hospital during recovery. But I didn't drink sodas or anything but Water really before surgery. And only one cup of coffee during the day. That's right after I leave the gym. Really don't understand why everyone had to stop. Coffee is actually good for you... That's what DR. OZ said.

I was told caffeine was allowed for me after 1 week post op. Personally I was addicted to caffeine though... either diet coke or coffee. So not going to go back to that & stick to de-caf coffee from now on.

Also was told no soda post-op, so sticking to that!

I don't drink coffee, but my surgeon's guidelines say no caffeine for life after surgery. I know people who have had surgery with the same surgeon who drink coffee anyway though.

The NO coffee "rule" just does NOT make sense to me, same with the NO SODA or NO STRAWS or NO CHEWING GUM "rules". Everything in moderation and you should be OK.

I personally drink 3 or 4 cups of Decaf most work days. I have never slept well and caffeine just makes it worse, but I still enjoy a good cup of decaf joe with a dash of non dairy Creamer and artificial sweetener in it. I also use straws, chew sugar free gum and drink diet sodas regularly and have lost and kept off 170 pounds.

If you have issues with it then DON'T, if you can handle then DO IT IN MODERATION. It is after all typically a bunch of "little issues" that got us into this mess of obesity after all - e.g. "What's wrong another cookie? They're small . . ." . A cup of regular or decaf is fine, loading it up with Creamers, syrups, sugars or other stuff? Maybe it's time to stop.

There is NOTHING inherent about the sleeve that prohibits coffee consumption.

Wow rootman... I'm following you. I wasn't told no gum either. I'm a prior smoker, so it's a must .

I am on pre-op day # 10day and it is sooooo hard. I had my last daily non-fat latte today. BUT I intend to still have my one latte a day at sometime after surgery and healing. I was told to drink more Water after having it. It suppresses hunger but also a diuretic. So I will drink lots of water. What kind of other pre-op diets has everyone else been on for 2 wks. before surgery?

The NO coffee "rule" just does NOT make sense to me, same with the NO SODA or NO STRAWS or NO CHEWING GUM "rules". Everything in moderation and you should be OK.

I personally drink 3 or 4 cups of Decaf most work days. I have never slept well and caffeine just makes it worse, but I still enjoy a good cup of decaf joe with a dash of non dairy creamer and artificial sweetener in it. I also use straws, chew sugar free gum and drink diet sodas regularly and have lost and kept off 170 pounds.

If you have issues with it then DON'T, if you can handle then DO IT IN MODERATION. It is after all typically a bunch of "little issues" that got us into this mess of obesity after all - e.g. "What's wrong another cookie? They're small . . ." . A cup of regular or decaf is fine, loading it up with Creamers, syrups, sugars or other stuff? Maybe it's time to stop.

There is NOTHING inherent about the sleeve that prohibits coffee consumption.

It was explained to me that the straw and gum chewing causes you to swallow air, which can cause stretching to the pouch. Soda, well that's a given with the carbonation, that's just not good to have, it does stretch your pouch. Coffee was not restricted for me, just caffeine. The only thing they told me about coffee is that because it's acidic, it can cause discomfort and possibly cause ulcers in your stomach because of the acid if you have too much. I know people who have had the surgery and drink diet pop regularly without any problems. I guess it just depends on the person and personal control to not go back to the bad habits that got them in the situation of needing surgery in the first place.