Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Your Sleeve Have A Name?

Lmao that was great. I don't talk to my body parts - I just named it just because it's a new body part lol

i call mine my food baby. there was this lady once that asked me when my baby was do. a said "At 4pm when the bus comes to drop her off from school"

Thanks for that. It made me lol!

~Amy

Wheetsin, I have a name for one other set of body parts: The "girls". I used to joke that the "girls" had to be fed whenever I ate because I was always dropping food on my shirts. I don't do that much anymore. My shirts AND the girls thank me for it.

Most other body parts get called by their real names (arms, legs, butt, etc) unless one or more of them is hurting, then there's often a swear word in front of the name. That's usually when I'm on the Helliptical (thanks for the name BK Mama).

I had heard the "Steve the sleeve" one before & thought it was cute, but when I tried to think of something catchy for myself I couldn't think of anything I really liked, so I'll still just call it my sleeve.

I think the reason some of us name it is because we say things like "my sleeve didn't like such and such" so it kind of makes it more personable to give it a name. Even though it is just a body part, it holds more significance to most of us than any other part since it helps us change our lives so drastically.

My sleeve named himself during those first few days post-op: Cthulu Jr. Don't know who (or what) Cthulu is? In short....elder god...who drives you insane...and then eats you. Or kills you...by eating you. Among other things.

Those first 72 hours post op, my newly sleeved stomach was VERY vocal - as in, you could hear rumbling across the room. Once I was able to consume liquids, if it was something CJ (as he's known) didn't like, he would conspire with his squiggly neighbors to the south to construct a quick, agonizing departure.

For the first 5 weeks of my new sleeve life, CJ has ruled my world with an Iron fist...and driven me insane!

Oddly, my husband is an almost 3 year RNY post-op, and his pouch has a name: Grignak (as in, Grignak the Barbarian!). Grignak likes to pretend he's all civilized and docile, but watch out! - he's just waiting for the right chance to RAGE!! After my surgery, we could sit on the sofa next to eachother and listen our respectively modified stomachs gargle and yell at each other. Odd, but entertaining!

On a side note: there is actual clinical research and backup behind why we name things that we feel are foreign - it is much easier to deal with a named entity than a nameless object. If it has a name, it must have intelligence or a persona, and thus be open to reason and logic. We use this strategy all the time in clinical practice to help patients who are having a difficult time adjusting to a new ostomy or appliance (like a Vacuum Assisted Wound Closure device). It's much easier, psychologically, to say, "Oscar's acting up again!", than "my colostomy is having issues".

I hadn't thought about an appropriate name for my Sleeve. I kinda like Mr. Tums.

My sleeve is Sleevina.... sounds like sleek and Tina.... w/ an exotic twist!! LOL

I call my sleeve Slavina! It makes her sound foreign and thats how she seems since I had my surgery.