Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band 2 Sleeve Weight Loss

Wow, thank you so much for your help! This site is awesome. I am so thankful for all you who have been responding to me! So kind of you, and extremely helpful. I was almost totally against the sleeve, and now I feel completely the opposite. I need a life change and I'm ready. I know how to eat slow from the band. It has become a part of me now I guess. I just hate that tight pain in the chest. You're never really "full" for real. It's like you're either in pain or sliming everything up. It is humiliating to be out to eat and feel everything you just ate come back into your mouth, and you're talking so you have to swallow-even though you know how badly it will hurt!! My dad doesn't know how he feels about the sleeve, but he says the best part would be getting that band out! (No more sore port from where my pants are digging into it!) much love & thanks again!! Erika

has your band slipped or is it just that you can't eat regular foods? i had 2 band surgeries and 1 removal surgery, both my bands prolapsed (slipped) and then i opted to remove it. i have had a surgery every year and i was tired of it and i was afraid, as i had young kids and didn't want to keep risking myself. my dr thought id keep the weight off but now its 3 1/2 years later and the weight is back. :(

I had the band removed and sleeve done in one operation. Except for those two instances, I haven't vomited, slimed or had terrible stuck feeling in the chest. Drinking with meals is a no- no. I didn't have my band doctor do my sleeve surgery. He's kinda jerk in my opinion. Before I got the band I asked what foods I wouldn't be able to eat after the band and he said, I would be able to eat everything just in smaller quantities. That was a lie. I couldn't eat chicken, turkey, veggies, salads...When I gave him the list of the things I couldn't eat he actually said " I don't care if you can't eat those things". Then were like well do you want the sleeve. At that time, I upset and wanted the band to work. That's what I'd paid $10K for. Now, I'm just happy to have the band out and I just didn't want to pay him another $15K to do it. Another thing, after the surgery, I never saw him again. All followups were scheduled with the PA. I finally demanded to see him. Ugh, don't get me started.

Carbgirl' date=' I currently have a band (completely drained at this point) and when I was filled, I couldn't eat anything...it was a horrible life. I have to have an endoscopy on the 24th of this month to check for scarring in my esophagus. I couldn't eat healthy veggies or fibrous fruits like grapes or apples. I have put my deposit down for the sleeve on the 11th of August, but I'm not sure I will do it yet. Can you help me with some of my questions? Are you able to eat most foods, just a smaller amount? Who was your surgeon, and do you know what size bougie he/she used? Do you actually feel "full" or nauseous/pain? I greatly appreciate your help! I am 26/f 5'3"/240lbs. ;)

[/quote']

can i sk you what it is that scares you about going for the sleeve? is it one thing or many just curious>

Hi Girliegirl,

I am afraid of altering my organs. I am really freaked out by the idea that they would remove and THROW AWAY most of my beloved stomach, lol. I would almost literally do anything--if it meant me losing weight. This isn't for sure, and I don't want to be completely miserable like the band. I've had such a hard time learning to eat slow and not drink with meals. When you've eaten one way for your whole life, it is hard to change such automatic behaviors. It's like reprogramming your brain for eating. (Especially when youre a complete food addict like me).I don't want to do the sleeve unless I'm sure I can eat like I'm supposed to. :/ I also feel a lot of pressure in both directions. My family feels I need to lose weight desperately and is pushing for the sleeve. My friends think it's crazy. I literally go back and forth each day! One day I'm definitely going to do it...the next Im not. I have been an emotional wreck over this decision. I am a teacher and my only chance until next year is this summer to get it done. I don't want to lose another year to being fat. I want to have a baby around age 29-30 and I am scared I won't lose it by then.

I hope that was helpful, I could ramble on forever. This decision is literally haunting me day and night. I'm a Christian, so I've been praying, praying, praying trying to seek God's guidance on this too. It's so hard. I will be prayin for all the others out there (including you!) who are wrestling with this tough decision. Please feel free to email me or PM me to talk more. I think you and I are Both in the same boat a bit!

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Erika

erikaj@aol.com

I'm band to sleeve. Sleeve date was in march at 163. I am only down 23 lbs in 10 weeks. I eat around 850-1000 calories daily. I thought I would be super thin fast. I wonder why we lose so much slower. Any encouragement would be great please. How many calories do you all get in daily? I can eat a little over 1/2c.

I'm losing quite a bit more slowly with the sleeve than with the band, even though I'm eating less.

I think slower is better. It should stay off longer and it gives your body a chance to catch up

I guess I'm the exception, Was revised 5/9 and have lost 6 lbs and put 1.5 back on. At a loss as to what is causing it.

I guess I'm the exception, Was revised 5/9 and have lost 6 lbs and put 1.5 back on. At a loss as to what is causing it.

Try not to worry about the 1.5 pound. Lots of things could be causing it from Water retention to an unexpelled bowl movement. Everyone's weight fluctuates by a pound or two daily. I can lose two pounds just by working in the garden and sweating a lot!

I'm more worried about only 6lbs in over a month lol

Does any band to sleeve revision feel they have lost weight differently than those only sleeved?

I'm more worried about only 6lbs in over a month lol

Try not to worry about that either. If you just had surgery on 5/9, your body is still healing, and you may still have some swelling and inflammation. Just follow your doctor's eating plan and walk as much as you can, and you will see the weight come off.

Does any band to sleeve revision feel they have lost weight differently than those only sleeved?

No, I think I've lost as much as other sleevers who didn't have the revision, and I've seen other revision patients who have lost a lot of weight since their revision. I think, for those who have more weight to lose, it comes off faster at first. For example, someone who has 200 pounds to lose will lose faster than someone who has 100 pounds to lose at first. I started out with having to lose 70 pounds, and so I think it is coming off a little slower for me, but the average weight loss in a month is typically around 10 pounds or 2 pounds per week.

I second that ta

Sent from my SCH-I800 using VST

Hi B and R's Mommy and anyone else who's done or doing the band revision to sleeve in Tijuana......how much does this cost in Tijuana? Has anyone done a price comparison of the costs that the various doctors in Tijuana are currently charging?

B and R's Mommy. Wht is Dr. Rodriguez' charge for that? How many days in a TJ hospital? Anyone else who can help with pricing and their doc's levels of experience would be great. I'm trying to not reinvent the wheel and hoping one or two or three of you have already invented this wheel?

I think my insurance here will pay for the band to come out. I want to then wait about six months for my stomach and esophagus to rest and heal as much as they will and work on my own behavioral patterns of self-sabotage. Then in 6 months, and only if I'm emotionally ready and practiced at self-discoplina and following the rules I will go to TJ and pay cash for the Sleeve. Please share pricing.

Thank you,

Sara

Thank you,

Sara

Hi Sara,

My husband and I had the revision done it Tijuana June 1st. After doing months of research we decided to go with Dr. Kelly. He charged us $5500 for the sleeve and an addition $500 for the revision, so we paid a total of $6000 each. He offered the choice of 2 days in the hospital and 3 days at the hotel or 3 days at the hospital and two days at the hotel. We were very nervous since we have 3 girls and knew that there was a higher chance of complications since we were revision. We asked a lot of questions about the surgery. Initially with Omar the assistant and we spoke with Dr. Kelly on the phone. The way he spoke with us gave us the confidence that we needed to have the procedure done with him. So, we flew in to San Diego from Miami. Our flight arrived almost at 10pm but Cecy Dr. Kelly's wife was waiting for us at the terminal. She absolutely wonderful and caring. She offered to either take us to the hotel or check in to the hospital. We chose the hospital since we would have to get up at 5am and get ready if we stayed at the hotel. When we arrived at the hospital at 11pm we were surprised to find not only Omar the assistant waiting for us but also Dr. Kelly. They were there to greet us and make sure we were comfortable. We sad down and spoke for a few minutes as we were being admitted. We were shocked to find nurses and doctors that spoke english. The staff at the hospital and the level of care we received is by far the best I have ever encounter in any. Hospital. Our post op experience was truly amazing. I know everyone is different. But we took our fist steps two hours after surgery.

Compared to my recovery from lapband this was unbelievable. We did shopping, we went to have our teeth laser cleaned and did just about anything everyone would normally do (except eat solid food). Dr. Kelly and Omar met us for Breakfast at the hotel. They were so kind as to invite us to Dr. Kelly's birthday party that night with his family and friends. In the end all I can say is we came as patients and left as friends. Everyone was amazing. Dr. Kelly is not the cheapest or the most expensive, but he is the one we felt comfortable with. You will find that many people have similar success stories like mine with other doctors, you will need to do your own research to see who you feel comfortable with. But hopefully you will at least get two or three good doctors to research from this post. I'm sorry for the long story, I'm just so excited to have this lapbad off and I feel so great!

Tanay

Hi B and R's Mommy and anyone else who's done or doing the band revision to sleeve in Tijuana......how much does this cost in Tijuana? Has anyone done a price comparison of the costs that the various doctors in Tijuana are currently charging?

B and R's Mommy. Wht is Dr. Rodriguez' charge for that? How many days in a TJ hospital? Anyone else who can help with pricing and their doc's levels of experience would be great. I'm trying to not reinvent the wheel and hoping one or two or three of you have already invented this wheel?

I think my insurance here will pay for the band to come out. I want to then wait about six months for my stomach and esophagus to rest and heal as much as they will and work on my own behavioral patterns of self-sabotage. Then in 6 months' date=' and only if I'm emotionally ready and practiced at self-discoplina and following the rules I will go to TJ and pay cash for the Sleeve. Please share pricing.

Thank you,

Sara

Thank you,

Sara[/quote']

Hi Sara!

Dr. Rodriguez charged me $6700 for my revision. There is a $500 deposit to hold your date. It would be cheaper for just the sleeve--but Im not sure if he would charge more even if youve had yoir band out because I know its still higher risk because our stomachs are still more fragile.

Dr. Rodriguez did my band in 2010 and I had a wonderful experience. I hate my band, but the experience I had with Dr. Rod, from his coordinators to his team at INT hospital in TJ was fantastic. He speaks perfect English and is a very nice man. If you would like more info, including contact info--please email me! erikaj@aol.com. I am not even a tiny bit worried about what things will be like since I've been there before. I will be in the hospital for three days which is included in the price. My husband will come with me this time. My mom came with me the last time and she says I received "doting care." I would agree. Not at one time did I feel neglected or like I was receiving "sub-par" care.

Please email me and I can give you more of the "scoop" and some advice as far as what to bring with you, etc... (This time I am bringing my favorite fuzzy blanket!)

Best of luck to you!!

Erika

erikaj@aol.com

(if you email me I could give you my number if you'd rather chat on the phone. I am so enthusiastic about this doctor I would love to talk to you!)