Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Aggiegirl: Treat your hair gently; only wash it every few days, and try not to comb it so much. At least for me, the scary phase only lasted a couple of weeks and my hair is very fine and not thick. So you'll probably be fine.

When you go for your follow up's you may want to have your doctor's check your thyroid as well- Thyroid conditions can cause hair loss and a lot of symptoms that mimic "post op" complaints.

Having had thyroid cancer- my Hair loss was way on it's way well before my VSG. Now it still happens- thankfully like others I had a full head of hair and you cant tell much- it is just a lot thinner.

I have used Biotin 1000mg every day since 2007.

What is the best way to have your hair? Up in a lose bun or down?

My sister does hair and she said to keep it down as much as possible is the best. Pulling it up puts stress at the root. I'm losing my hair and she cut about 4 inches off, it's helped alot so I think longer, heavier hair will probably have a tendency to fall out easier. I also take 1200mg of Biotin. I think this thing just needs to run its course.

I almost forgot, she said to massage the scalp, it keeps circulation going and that's about the only thing that will remedy the problem. She also said to use professional products if possible. Good products can help with the texture and can keep the actual hair healthier instead of raspy and dry. In other words, keep the hair you do have as healthy as possible.

Peace ... that sounds about what I'm doing, although I'm going to add the Biotin. We were sleeved the same day btw.

Seems like my hair loss arrived almost the same time I hit my four-month mark. Still losing it at almost five months, but it seems to be slowing down a bit. And at the same time I hit a slow, slow, slow patch on losing weight, going up and down two or three pounds for several weeks now. It finally seems to be nudging on down there.

It also seemed to get more dry and brittle and I've been using Kiehl's on it. Because I'm prematurely silver, I have to be careful about what products I use. So many of them turn it yellowish, but Kiehl's seems to be pretty good.

I usually put it up when I'm gardening for a few hours a week -- I just have to when it's in the 90s. I've started doing it a lot looser ponytail though.

It helps so much to read everyone else's take on it and what's working for them!!

Thanks,

Carol

I am a hairdresser and can honestly tell you that all the answer you have given are correct ..infact it can take between 3 +6 months to loose your hair after ANY stress,, wether its surgery ,diet, sudden weight loss, the flu, death in family, sudden shock , taking antibiotics ect,, the reason its takes this long to start falling out is because of your natural Hair growth patterns, and every ones growth patterns are different,,( ever notice how sometimes your hair will grow and grow, then suddenly doesnt grow much at all , then when you brush your hair there is more strands than usual?? thats growth patterns... the good news is that as one strand falls out then a new one will replace it with in weeks, and soon you will notice lots of new regrowth and fuzzies,, by about a year out your patterns should return to normal... but for those looking for a Shampoo to help try Nioxin... i give it to all my customers who are loosing hair from the stresses in life or who are naturally thinning hair..hope this helps

Well, I have to agree with CCWriter. When I hit that 4 month mark, my hair started falling out like crazy and the weight loss started fluctuating, but as petal said, it's probably the growth pattern of the hair... I spent way too much time at Vitamin Shoppe and ended up settling on taking Biotin, Silica, and using Biotene Shampoo by Mill Creek that I got there also. I also up-ed my Protein intake (I knew I wasn't getting enough anyway) as a suggestion from one of the workers because he said inadequate protein can cause Hair loss too. I'm trying to make it stop and regrow some hair here, folks!! :)

I agree with Peacequeen....the less stress the better. I went to washing my hair with a Biotin product every 3 days instead of 2 and try not to mess with it too much during the day. But, like she said, it just needs to run it's course and with me, the scary part was only two weeks, although my hair is so much thinner than it used to be. But no one seems to notice but me and my hairdresser.

So you will get your hair back right? because I'm freaking out about this Hair loss I have full thick hair and its getting thin fast I'm also losing it by the hand full I'm gonna go buy some of the products here to see if it helps me. Has anyone ever lost it all?? :(

I almost forgot, she said to massage the scalp, it keeps circulation going and that's about the only thing that will remedy the problem. She also said to use professional products if possible. Good products can help with the texture and can keep the actual hair healthier instead of raspy and dry. In other words, keep the hair you do have as healthy as possible.

AMen to this. people seem to be afraid to touch their hair and want to put it back or tie it up, and those things are the worst things we could do. Massage your scalp, get blood flowing there, use good products, brush your hair regularly to stimulate your scalp.

You just have to ride it out. For most of us, the loss will occur, and nothign you can do is going to stop it, because its already dead. You have to just get the hair out of your head so new stuff can grow in.

And for most, the loss doesn't start until 3-4 months out i've seen. I got to 4 months and that is when it hit! I had so hoped I'd be spared. It is slowing down now a bit. And I have fuzzy new growth starting in.

And like petal said, my hairdresser told me to use nioxin, so that is what I am using.

whoops duplicate

I saw that most people start seeing regrowth at month 9 or 10. I am working towards month 12 and my hair has not started growing back and I am Still losing more than normal. I hope that I get regrowth again soon. I am so small now that a pixie cut might look good in me so please let the regrowth begin hopefully soon...but if it never grows back let me find peace with the seriously thin hair I have now.

I saw someone mention BIOSIL, and I would like the second that. You can get it in liquid drops or pill form. It is not the same as Biotin. It is a silicone supplement, and I found that it was the only thing that helped me. It also helped my eyelashes grow and my nails grow. The liquid is nasty, make sure to mix it well in a little bit of juice.< /p>

I believe it to be caused, in part, by our bodies going into "survival mode". We are, in essence, starving ourselves though we don't feel it because our stomach is so small. Many non-essential processes (such as hair and nail growth, menstrual cycle) stop or change for awhile until our body reaches the "new normal".

It's just a side effect of drastic weight loss. It's ok, it means that your body has better things to do (like slimming you down!) than to waste a lot of energy on your hair and nails.

Also, just about everyone loses some hair, and just about everyone returns to their pre-surgery amount of hair. Just think, your hair may be even more lustrous and beautiful as it grows back than it was before because your body is so much healthier!