Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help I Keep Having Diarrhea!

Hi everyone!

I am new to the site tonite but I have been going through the forums for help. I have not seen one that has my symptoms. Monday, May 14, 2012 will be 4 weeks post surgery. Everything was going fine until I started getting diarrhea. I am not sure what to do. I am eating soft foods such as mashed potatoes to keep me from staying hungry but meat is not agreeing with me at this time. I drink Water and I have to go to the bathroom. I eat string Beans and I have to go to the bathroom. The same goes for my Protein Shakes. The only time I dont go is when I eat mashed potatoes and pudding all day. I went to the hospital and my test results were good. I had to make an appt with my NUT and that is not until next Friday but I need help. I took Imodium and it worked fine but now its 3 days later and I am back to where I started. Obviously my back side is sore so I need some help and suggestions. Is water giving me diarrhea? scrambled eggs are not digesting well either. As a result I am not getting Protein and barely getting my fluids in.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME IF THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS TOO!!!

Thank you to everyone that can help.

I have no idea what it could be as I have not had surgery yet. I'm glad you have seen your doctor and it all checked out. And hopefully the nutritionist will help as well. My only suggestion would be that maybe you have developed a lactose intolerance and the milk based protien shakes are not agreeing with you. I've read that happening post-surgery. Go back to the basics with Clear liquids and see if that helps. By that time your nut appointment should be here.

Good luck!

I don't know what to tell you except to increase your Water intake. You lose an enormous amount of fluids when you have diarrhea.

As for your sore hiney - get some of those charmin wet wipe thingies. Call your doctor, okay? I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you Mab! I am scared to increase my intake with Water because it makes me go to the bathroom. I am going to try and drink regular iced tea and see what happens. If you hear any other suggestions to help me, please let me know.

Bananas will help with diarrhea because of the potassium. I had this problem also when I wasn't on the other end of the spectrum (constipated). You're not eating a lot of food with consistency since you're in the mushy stage. Mushy goes in mushy comes out...it should pass once you start eating more solids. Hang in there!!!

Thank you I will try to get bananas tonite. My husband said are you serious you need bananas tonite? lol I said yes so we can sleep tonite. Thank you again, I really need to try something. My backside is hurting now cause I go at least 6 times a day, especially when I drink Water. uuugghhh! Have a blessed nite!

Going so much can really irritate you. I get diverticulitis and have had several colonoscopies and have dealt with irritable bowel and these issues on and off for a long time. When you shower try using some Massengil or Summer's Eve sensitive skin wash (with no perfumes) for your behind and coat your bottom with Desitin with Zinc or something similar so the skin can heal. Sometimes the Charmin wipes can sting a bit too. Keep getting your fluids in and so you don't get dehydrated a little Gatorade wouldn't hurt too until you can see the doctor. Sometimes you have to balance taking in a little bit more carbohydrates to get your fluids and electrolytes back in so you don't get dehydrated.

I'm so sorry you are hurting so bad.

Hi MinaT-

I am trying to eat a banana right now to see if that will work. I will get some Gatorade tomorrow. I am really scared to drink anything tonite. I picked up Tucks and they burn. Money is really tight so I am going to do the best that I can. Thank you so much for responding to me tonite. Have a Blessed nite:)

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! TO EVERYONE:)

I would try to stick with Water and Gatorade for a while. Try to stay away from dairy including Protein Drinks for the next day or two. I hope you feel better soon.

Like Mina said, definitely get some ointment with zinc in it....I was miserable after doing the prep before surgery...in so much pain and everything else burned but the zinc will feel amazing. For sure Gatorade and how about sf Popsicles... Just trying to think of some way to get liquid. I had it tonight for the first time sincesurgery and not sure why. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Hope you are feeling better today. Tucks do burn, but I always have those handy. I also keep A & D Zinc handy which is like Desitin with Zinc. If you have Petroleum Jelly you can use that for now, to help.

Hi-

I want to thank everyone for assisting me with this. I tried eating bananas last night and I did not have diarrhea. I didn't have it today so far either. Thank God. I don't know what that was all about but it has happened to me since the fourth day I came home. I am drinking gatorade now so I hope to replenish some fluids I lost. I can't wait to see mu NUT this Friday. Tomorrow will start the 4 weeks for me. Any food advice from anyone?

Bananas will help with diarrhea because of the potassium. I had this problem also when I wasn't on the other end of the spectrum (constipated). You're not eating a lot of food with consistency since you're in the mushy stage. Mushy goes in mushy comes out...it should pass once you start eating more solids. Hang in there!!!

Thank you the bananas worked!!!