Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello~

My surgery is scheduled for 5/23 and as the day draws closer, I find myself more and more scared. The thing I am the most worried about is feeling nauseous and or vomiting. I have even had second thoughts about doing it because it makes me that nervous. I very rarely get nauseous or vomit under normal circumstances, but this is not normal circumstances. Has anyone else been this afraid about it? Talk me off the ledge please!!!

Corinna

Post op is scary. Your fear is normal and healthy. :) keep reading as much as you can. I went in expecting it to be tough and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I did get nauseous and when I did, I let my nurse know. They will give you anti-nausea medication which controls it. I did vomit once during the swallow test on day 2. That stuff was gross but, it only lasted a minute or two.

While you are in the hospital, take the pain meds and the anti-nausea meds. There is no heroes medal for sticking it out without meds! sleep when you can and get as much rest as you can. When you aren't resting, WALK! The more you walk, the better you will feel. Walk as soon as they let you and walk often to help dissipate the gas.

Go into that operating room knowing that you are coming out a new person, one whose old life and weight related baggage will be gone soon. The surgery and the post-op week are just the toll you are paying to cross the bridge. Focus on the outcome, be at peace with your decision, and know that this is just a means to an end and it's temporary. You will feel better in a week or two!

I am 7 weeks out and I feel fantastic. Everyday, I lose a little more and every day I notice the changes. This is the best decision I have ever made for myself and it will be good for you too.

Keep a positive outlook and focus on the future, it will help you get through the days that will be hard.

Good luck! Can't wait to see you on the loser's bench!!!!!!

I'll be honest. I did not have those fears, but one thought stuck in my mind...what if I don't come out. But I was at peace with that thought. I was plesantly suprised when I awoke. I'm sure I made no sense to anyone grambling away for a while and all I did was sleep and walk the day of surgery.

Don't let your fears get you going. You'll do great. It will have its ups and downs, but you'll do great over the journey. I regret nothing. I'm happy and lucky to have the support of this board, friends, and my family to move through this journey in life.

Good luck and stay positive.

Great post, smontgomery!

I didn't throw up post-op. Everyone is different, and you can't predict or control exactly how you are going to feel post-op. You might feel pretty good, you might feel not-so-good. But you'll be in a hospital with staff and great medications that can help you through it. If you think you'll throw-up, alert someone. They don't want you to throw up, so they'll give you some good drugs to try to prevent it.

The nervousness and the mind games leading up to surgery can really be exhausting. While it's wise to be prepared for all outcomes, try to focus on the positive and trust all the research and decisions that got you to this place.

The early post-op days pass quickly... they really do!! (Meds help. LOL!) A few months from now, you'll be smaller and healthier and so glad that you did this for yourself! :)

Thanks for your replies. I know it seems like a silly fear, but with everything else I will be dealing with, that really kind of scares me. I will do my best to try not to worry about it, but I am a worry wart! I am very excited for the surgery, just not the first week or so after....lol. Thanks again!

Corinna

Hell Corinna, I have my surgery in July- and I'm nervous now!

My psychologist says if I wasn't nervous she would be worried- it is a huge, life-changing event that will require a complete about-turn with all sorts of habits. It is also major surgery- and not to be taken lightly. We put our trust in our surgeon and whoever and whatever higher power we believe in and we hope like hell it will all go smoothly. It doesnt hurt to be as physically and mentally as ready as we can be but whatever happens we are taking a BIG positive and proactive step in changing our lives for the better.

Good luck!

If one of your biggest worries is nausea, I would ask for something ahead of time. They asked me in preop if I get nauseated and I said sometimes (although I rarely do), so they gave me something. I was asked again after surgery, and I said I was a little (I really just wanted to make sure I didn't get nauseated), so they gave me something again. I never had any nausea at all. Good luck.

Please don't worry AT ALL! They put medication for it in your IV. I tend to get nauseous quite a bit and this med worked wonders! You're gonna do GREAT!!!!

I had mine 4/23 a Monday.......Thursday before hand I had a freak out night I didn't sleep I worried all night. But after that night I found myself at peace and focused on getting stuff done before hand, I never felt anything I used my morphine pump freely, I might have sleep with my finger on the trigger hehehe..... I was really surprised how comfortable I was after surgery, I walked sleep and drank protein....chicken Soup Unjury mix, and went home day three. I told my doc up font I want to stay as long as I can cause I know the good pain killers are in the hospital and wanted the rest and r&r. He made sure I had great pain meds and a qpump thingy that keep numbing meds on my inside so i never felt a thing inside but some sore muscles..... Just tell your doc your worries upfront and they will take good care of you... I m so glad I did this and keep comming here these people are truly amazing for friendship and info

I think everyone has their different fears and that is perfectly normal. Mine was getting the IV inserted--I am deathly afraid of needles.

Here's what my surgeon did to help with any nausea. The night before surgery, he had me put a Scopalmine patch behind my ear. This is a prescription. Some people use it for sea sickness. I had to keep the patch on two days after surgery, but I actually kept it on for four days. This makes your mouth really dry but after surgery you can use Water or ice chips to aleviate that Three hours before surgery I took a pill they gave me a prescription for but can't remember the name. Maybe someone else can remember. Then during surgery they pumped me full of other anti-nausea drugs. After surgery I had no nausea at all. However, if I did they would have given me medication. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need, whether it's anti-nausea medication, pain medication, heartburn medication, etc.

My surgery was 9 days ago and I haven't vomited a bit. Just take it slow when you introduce new liquids and food to your sleeve. Take a sip or two and wait to make sure your sleeve can tolerate it.

Good luck. I am sure you'll do just fine.

I couldn't take the nausea meds because they conflicted with another perscription I use. Nausea still wasn't an issue for me. It's been about five months and I've only had one episode ... hope your luck is just as good.

I have not thrown up yet and I am almost 6 weeks out stay positive. My fear was I would die and not even have a chance to be thin

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST