Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I just went to use the rest room and saw a surprise that I haven't seen in month, MY PERIOD!! I am currently on the Mirena IUD, so my last period was on October, so I have two questions one can I use a tampon, and second all that's coming down in some brown discharged yesterday will I be seeing blood or will that all my period will be brown discharged. Thanks girls for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am not a DOCTOR by any means, but I can tell you that losing weight can bring it on. My sister didn't have a period for 3 years due to her weight (300+ pounds) and when she dropped 29 lbs she started all over again. I made her go to her GYN. She explained to him that it was brown and filled with clots, he explained to her that because she hadn't had one in so long it was all the old blood and it should be normal color by next period (which it was). He also recommended that she ****** after that period was over.

I personally feel that if you are concerned about it make an appointment with a GYN just to insure nothing is going on. Better safe than sorry.

Hi There, I have the Mirena IUD, sometimes I have a brown reddish discharge but it is very light and only lasts one day.

You can use a tampon but I would only use a panty liner unless it's a heavier flow.

I hope when I loose weight I don't get regular periods lol I don't miss them!!

I haven't had my surgery yet (set for Monday), but I had to stop my birth control pills last month to help prevent blood clots (have to be off of them 30 days before & 30 days after surgery). I just got my period a few days ago, but it's NOTHING like normal. I think my body is just messed up because of being on birth control for the last 8 years straight & now being off of it, and also because of my low-calorie pre-op diet. I've had quite a bit of brown blood and a little red, but it's more like spotting than a regular flow. It's been really annoying & I'm hoping it's done by Monday for surgery, but I'll deal with it if it's not.

I've read some other threads on here where people have said their periods are really messed up after surgery. I'm hoping mine will regulate again once I go back on the pill, but who knows what my body will do during the 30 days in between!!

Good luck!! oh - and I wouldn't see a problem with tampons. They told me if I have my period in the hospital, they'd give me mesh panties with a pad on them, but after I go home it's okay to use tampons again. As long as your doctor didn't say anything against them, I'd think they'd be fine.... but follow your doctor's instructions if he did say not to use them.

hi mom scholar.your doc made you stop bc pills? mine hasnt told me not to stop them yet. my surg is anticipated for june 4.maybe i should check with him on this then right

Liza - yes, I would check with your surgeon. Mine said I had to stop 30 days before and 30 days after because birth control pills increase the possibility for blood clots. We just have to use condoms or something else during that time to prevent pregnancy. I would check with your doc to make sure. Every doctor is different.

I'm pre-op but have the Mirena. I'm one of the "lucky" ones that still gets a period every month like clockwork. So annoying. From what I've read here, many get a period after surgery and your cycle may be weird for a while.

As far as tampons, I use them but VERY carefully because you can dislodge your IUD. So for me, I only use tampons if I absolutely need to, anything light I suck it up and use a thin pad or liner. I moved my iud on accident a while back removing a tampon that wasn't full too quickly and that pain is not something I want to feel again. Not to mention having to go and get it checked to make sure it was ok.

Thanks everyone for your input. I had placed a pad on last night and I don't see any discharge today. Don't know if it was a one day thing or if it is coming back later on today. I luckily have an appointment with my surgeon this Wednesday and can ask her aswell. Once again thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

hi mom scholar.your doc made you stop bc pills?mine hasnt told me not to stop them yet. my surg is anticipated for june 4.maybe i should check with him on this then right

My doctor said the same thing...stop taking the pill 30 days before & 30 days after. I would check.

Little Bits

thanks yall.im going to check with my doc on this first thing monday