Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Hi everyone. I was banded on Sept 22, 2006 and have lost ONLY 10pounds. I had my first fill Friday Nov 10th and can feel the restriction again. I have tried to tell myself that the 10 lbs is ok and that the first 6 weeks were time for my body to heal. But after reading some of the weight loss totals here have made me feel like a failure. No I have not been perfect with my diet probably but I have been very conciouse about how much I have been eatting. At first it was easy because I had restriction but 3 weeks post op the restriction went away and the hunger kicked in. I still limited the amount I was eatting. I just stoped loosing weight at 3 weeks.

Have any other sept bandsters been at a stand still?

I had my first 4cc fill Nov 10th I have a 9cc band.

Mariecarmen: Thanks so much. When I saw my dietcian this week she mentioned the "sweet spot" and explained how that feels. My first fill was 1.5 and while I was there they added another .3 so that I am now at 1.8.

So far I still don't feel like I have much restriction and am not in the green zone - according to your satiety guide. I've heard that you may not get optimal results from a fill for approx. 2 weeks. I so long for the green zone!

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about it. My doctor's office really has their act together but I hadn't heard anyone mention a satiety guide. :nervous

Shell: Don't get discouraged! Go back to the basics....getting enough Water, limit your snacking and exercise as prescribed. I think with this recent fill you will start to see something happen. I actually gained weight after my first fill and had to be checked again. I am starting to wonder too if people experience plateaus where they once sat at a certain weight pre-banding. As if the body has a memory and wants to keep the weight at that previous weight place for a while? Does that make any sense? What did your doctor say? I am learning that I CANNOT compare my weight loss to others'. Each body is created differently and we have different metabolisms. It is too discouraging for me otherwise. Hey, you have lost 17 pounds! When was the last time you were able to do that? Frankly, I don't remember the last time pre-band that I could. Just keep trudging along....it will work out in time! :)

I'm feeling discouraged, too. Mine though has more to do with eating crap around the band and having a hard time getting back on track food wise. Too, I just started going to the gym, and am not losing but not gaining. Anyone else doing this stuff? I have 1.4cc in my 4cc band, and am not scheduled for a fill...although I could be soon if I wanted one...

I think that slow weight loss is the pits, especially when we are trying so hard. Like others have said, everyone's weight loss is different. I think that age makes a difference as well as food choices and exercise and initial starting weight, etc. Some people that had their band the same day as me have lost more weight than I have, so I know how everyone is feeling. I have already had 2 2-week periods where I experienced NO weight loss. I am using a program called Diet Power (free trial offer on internet). I record everything I eat and drink and my exercise. I set a goal and the program adjusts your calorie intake to meet your goal (if you're unreasonable it will tell you). It will also give you a history of your nutriention, weight, meatabolic rate, etc. Keeping a record has helped me feel in control. It also gives me immediate feedback on what I'm eating and grades my choices. I'm learning a lot. I am sharing this because I have learned that every choice makes a difference. I've also learned some things about my own body. For instance, right after I got the band my metabolic rate (to maintain existing weight) was 2380 calories a day. After dieting and losing some weight my metabolism has slowed down a little to 2132 calories a day. I have been averaging 940 calories a day for the last month. I find this information helpful. I will take it with me to see the nutritionist and my doc, but mostly I just find it comforting to know that I'm in the ball park. I'm playing the game and eventually if I keep at it I will win! Oh, one more thing. The program helps me see the importance of exercise because it subtracts points or allows more calories if you exercise. For instance, a 2 mile walk at a moderate speed, for my weight burns about 180 calories. When you're eating so few calories, that can make a real difference. I've rambled enough. Good luck everyone!

Hi September Bandsters,

Has every-one had their first fill. Had mine on Wednesday evening, 5.5mls in 10ml band. Had my fill at 8 pm and by 11pm could not even swallow my own saliva. Spent a miserable night being sick, and had to return for a de-fill of 1 3/4 mils leaving 3 3/4 in the band. My surgeon assures me that must first fills are between 5-6mls. Does any one ever have trouble with swelling after a fill, I wondered if I should have stuck it out for a bit longer.

Its great to see how well everyone is doing,

Tanya xx

Holly Crap! thats alot of Fluid in your band from what I've heard and had. My doc says no more that 2 ml on the first fill. I'm sure some docs think otherwise but I have restriction with 1.4 I couldnt imagine 4 ml or more, I would PB my lungs!

Holly Crap! thats alot of Fluid in your band from what I've heard and had. My doc says no more that 2 ml on the first fill. I'm sure some docs think otherwise but I have restriction with 1.4 I couldnt imagine 4 ml or more, I would PB my lungs!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

My first fill was 5.5 cc's in a 10 cc VG band, so it is over half full. I feel like I have really good restrcition most of the time. But this band is fickle. Sometimes I can eat way more of the same food that other times I can only tolerate a few bites.

Have any other sept bandsters been at a stand still? I had my first 4cc fill Nov 10th I have a 9cc band.

I am kind of at a stand still I have only lost 15lbs since the surgery but I have NSV's with my inches lost, and the way my body is changing. People say they see the difference, which amazes me because it is only the 15lbs. I have also taken the extender out in the back of my bra :clap2: . That puts a smile on my face.

I have had my first fill and notice some difference, but not alot unless I eat too fast or too big of a bite. I go back for another appointment Nov.27.

Please accept my apologies for my naivety (sp?) What are NSVs?

Thanks!

No apology necessary! NSV = non-scale victory, meaning anything positive that comes from being banded *other* than losing weight (like improved flexibility, going off meds, getting winked at by the cute bag boy....)

Tami

Well I was banded Sept.12 and have lost 25lbs. which is slow compared to the others I have been reading but I'll take it. I too can eat more at times and junk food is easier than good food. Brendab

Well I was banded Sept.12 and have lost 25lbs. which is slow compared to the others I have been reading but I'll take it. I too can eat more at times and junk food is easier than good food. Brendab

Brenda,

We were banded the same day (2 months today!) and have almost the same loss (I am down 24lbs). I'm really happy with my loss too. I keep track of inches too, and have lost between 3.5 from my chest, and 4 inches from my waist, and hips. There will always be someone who will lose faster, but I'm thrilled that I am meeting the goals I have set for myself.

:clap2: Non-scale victory...thanks Tami! There really is so much more to this journey than the numbers on the scale. I am so blessed to have this experience...no more knee pain, no more reflux...and only after such a short time. Also, what about the hope that is restored and a brighter (possibly longer) future it entails?! Success breeds success, so I was told and it really is true. When things start to happen I really get motivated to keep doing the right thing.:high5:

It is Monday and I am actually happy to report my loss today as it has blown me away. 7lbs this week! I did just have a fill and have been on a modified diet and may be a little to tight but I'll talk it anyway!

Good morning all,

I had my first fill last Thursday and have lost 2 pounds since then. This morning I am at 276. Like everyone else, they seem to start pretty conservative which is OK with me. I have some restriction, but not so extreme that I am experiencing all the complications. A couple pounds a week would be great. I was pretty petrified- made my sweetiepie come with me and it was no problem at all. I didn't even feel a prick just a little pressure and it was over.

Good luck to everyone this week!