Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Hi all,

Just want to thank everyone...I feel I'm pretty well prepared for tomorrow and what to expect. Just anxious to get going to the next stage - 2 more weeks of liquids! Come on mushies!

Linda

I am catching up tonight after a couple of days. It is interesting to read how different some of our instructions before and after surgery are. I made sure to ask my doc about the heating pad and other things I saw here online. Said the heating pad is fine. I only used it one day when I was so uncomfortably bloated. Also said I could use s/f chewing gum.

I was told that any clear juice for our post-op diet is fine. I don't like Apple, but used grape/cran instead (also cleared by nutritionist). As far as fruit is concerned, I'm at Day 7 post-op and s/f canned pears are on my diet. And bananas have been an option for a couple of days now. I noticed that once I'm allowed any additonal fruit (another 4 or 5 days) they said not to eat any of the skins.

I am practically a new person today. Last night was a break-thru with the shoulder/back pain. And the bloating isn't even as bad. For at least 5 days, every time I ate anything or drank anything, even Water, I bloated up like a toad. And had lots and lots of burping, etc. I have not been sedentary at all - walking at every opportunity, although mostly in and outside my own home. Today we went to a movie, dined at a very nice restaurant for lunch, and did next week's grocery run.

For lunch I had a portion of a bowl of New England Clam Chowder and was psyched! It was wonderful (although I had to chew the little clams at least 60 times each before I could swallow them.) My main dislike of the post-op diet is all the artificially sweetened foods. You have a fairly nasty taste in your mouth leftover from the hospital meds and it doesn't seem to mix well with all that sweet stuff.

And just to set the record straight - earlier someone said I complained that I had only lost 4 lbs. after 2 weeks of pre-op liquid dieting. I must not have made myself very clear - I was never required to do only liquids before surgery. I did 2 meals of high Protein shakes plus 1 relatively normal meal. By the day of surgery, I had lost 10 lbs. and as of today, I have lost a little over 20 lbs. and it's only been a week since surgery. I am sufficiently hydrated although I am sure I could have lost some fluids due to surgery.

The liquid Protein shake I was doing and am still required by my doc and nutritionist to do for another couple of weeks, is low-carbohydrate, high mineral and Vitamin content and one of the highest Protein containing products of its' kind on the market.

We should not be worried in any way that the high Protein drinks will "bulk us up"!!! (Particularly since we are not supposed to be having anything that is high carb.) We have to be way more concerned that if we do not get adequate protein and nutrients we can weaken our muscle tone and even sustain damage to our hearts from the trauma and demands put on our bodies from surgery and the post-op diet! My doctor, my nutritionist and even my exercise physiologist have all gone out of their way to stress the importance of this. We must get the max protein recommended and we must take our Vitamins.

And according to my nutritionist, the only other Liquid Protein source she would recommend is Isopure. However, she much prefers the whey based protein in the one I'm using. Oops - one more protein reference... Jello has a very easily digestible protein, which is one reason we get it right after surgery. But it is impossible to eat enough Jello alone to get the amount and type of protein our bodies are going to need to sustain our health.

The best advice any of you could get right now is to listen to your doctor and his/her staff and to ask questions if anything you read here is causing you concern.

I am finally excited about having the Lap Band and am really looking forward to my new life of health and beauty. I wish the very same for all of you!! Gn'nite BJ

M.O.M! Welcome back!! Great report! They say laughter is the best medicine!

Your trip sounds perfect. Keep up the good work! And be careful... no getting blown away, okay?

BJ

For a whole month out you can't have fruit until your throat is healing--from the irritation from the air tube--and you will have an air tube, they have to do it. I just asked that very same question on Thursday when I went to see the Dietician...and the Nurse at the hosp told me the same thing. You can't even have apple juice for a few weeks--got in trouble for buying apple juice today...lol.

I did not get those instructions- Bettina that must be your surgeon.

Apple juice is specifically ON my list of allowed as well as ANY unsweetened fruit juice.

Bettina your instructions on most everything have been VERY different from the majority of the others. Just your surgeons perferences Im sure.

We should not be worried in any way that the high Protein drinks will "bulk us up"!!! (Particularly since we are not supposed to be having anything that is high carb.) We have to be way more concerned that if we do not get adequate Protein and nutrients we can weaken our muscle tone and even sustain damage to our hearts from the trauma and demands put on our bodies from surgery and the post-op diet! My doctor, my nutritionist and even my exercise physiologist have all gone out of their way to stress the importance of this. We must get the max protein recommended and we must take our Vitamins

The best advice any of you could get right now is to listen to your doctor and his/her staff and to ask questions if anything you read here is causing you concern.

A M E N !!! DITTO from my team!!

Heal first weight loss later!!

gonnabethin: Thank goodness for your input - I was afraid I was the one out of step!

And by the way - you're doing great!

BJ

I did not get those instructions- Bettina that must be your surgeon.

Apple juice is specifically ON my list of allowed as well as ANY unsweetened fruit juice.

Bettina your instructions on most everything have been VERY different from the majority of the others. Just your surgeons perferences Im sure.

A M E N !!! DITTO from my team!!

Heal first weight loss later!!

Sorry , that is what I am told, I don't have to comment anymore. It seems to be upsetting. Glad you can have apple juice.< /p>

Bettina: Hey gal, everybody should say what they want here. But Chatta seemed really new and it seemed to me that he should get input from several sources. Nothin' wrong with that, is there?

Just remember when you're throwin' around background and degrees that lots 'o people here probably have strong backgrounds and multiple degrees, but they just might not feel the need to share that. Um kay?

BJ

No its not upsetting just your surgeon has different rules from most of the others. Its just impossible on a wide scale to make certainties for all.

All the surgeons have such different protocols- thus far yours seems to be the tuffest to adhere to!! Good Luck!!

Post banding has been harder than I thought. No head hunger but my stomach is pissed off at me for having it folded, sutured, and banded. Its is growling and hungry, and if that doesnt work it teams up with the hiccup team!!

Im just thankful that My surgeon allows more- You will possibly have it harder- Im telling you the sugar( from juice) and some fat has SAVED me!!

Im just thankful that My surgeon allows more- You will possibly have it harder- Im telling you the sugar( from juice) and some fat has SAVED me!!

That is good to hear. I am just glad I only have to do one day prior. I will miss sugar. I wish you all the best!

Bettina: Hey gal, everybody should say what they want here. But Chatta seemed really new and it seemed to me that he should get input from several sources. Nothin' wrong with that, is there?

Just remember when you're throwin' around background and degrees that lots 'o people here probably have strong backgrounds and multiple degrees, but they just might not feel the need to share that. Um kay?

BJ

I was trying to be helpful.

gonnabethin: The first time I ate something with a little real sugar post-op, I felt better than I had since surgery! I didn't get the hiccups (thank God!) but had the real burps, eeeuuu! I feel for you if you had to endure hiccups!

All that super-sweet artificial stuff just seemed to make me feel worse and bloat more! Now that I'm getting some natural foods, with a little fat too, things are beginning to even out and I even had my first BM (sorry if that is too much information!)

I was so worried about having to go for my 1 wk check up tomorrow and report a big NO to that ever present question... "Have you had a Bowel Movement?" I couldn't imagine what kind of reaming machine they were going to have to hook me up to. :omg: (Yep, I'd done 2 types of prescribed meds to produce the illusive movement, to no avail.)

But after my clam chowder for lunch, scrambled eggs for supper, I was able to do the thing without pain or assistance!! Yippee!!!! Thank heavens for every milestone, made and conquered.

You and I seem to be on a similar path. I need to get closer to 130, but I am sure when I reach 140 I'm going to feel like a completely new woman!

Enjoyed chattin' w/ you! BJ

I CAN relate- Took 4 days- I was ready for the milk of mag. I have walked until my feet hurt- FINALLY!! And Im with you suprised it didnt hurt!!

LOL people probably think EEEEWWWWW- they'll see........

Bettina: You sound hurt. No one was out to get you, that's for sure!!

This website is a forum for communication - I thought that was what we were doing. And everyone can jump in and do that anyway they want. The more the merrier, I say! But let's take all this in the way it is meant - helpful and supportive.

No one should have a problem if their knowledge base is different from anyone else's. But we should all be able to jump in at any time and share our own. Am I right? Or are you coming from a different place in all this?

BJ

gonnabethin! Woo-hoo! Good for you. And right you are... they'll understand why it has become a topic here, all too soon!