Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Started Soft Foods And I Feel Like I Screw Up Everytime I Eat!

So......I had my 2 week appt yesterday with the nutritionist. She said I could start eating eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding, cheese and refried Beans. I'm allowed to have soft meat and hearty bean Soups if they're pureed. I should only be eating 1/4 cup each meal and getting @ least 800 calories a day.

This is my problem........I am eating 1/4 cup (and I'm using a measuring cup) but I feel like I'm right on the verge of throwing up. I haven't yet but its right in the back of my throat. Should I just cut down my portion size??

I have been keeping a food diary since my surgery and I'm finding it hard to calculate all of my nutritional facts (Sorry but I'm OCD and I like for my figures to be exact. LOL) especially if I'm eating less than the serving size. I have looked online and I'm not having much luck finding a good tool with just nutritional facts. Anyone know any good tools?

I'm so afraid of failing! I hope I haven't stretched my stomach by eating too big of a portion. I wonder......how easy is it to stretch it out.

Thanks for listening to me ramble! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am a control freak also. started musing myfitnesspal.com to log all my food & exercise in. I was doing it pen & paper then I changed since it had an APP for my phone. it works really well. and it gives you a pie chart at the end of the day or week showing what % of Protein, fats & carbs were eaten. Do not force yourself to eat more than your body is telling you to eat. some days you will be able to eat 3 oz of deli turkey and other times I can barley get an ounce in. my protein is my first priority. and if I dont have enough protein for the day (i drink one smoothie in the morning) I get to have eggfaces high protein ice cream (my savior). good luck

I swear I could have written your post! I feel the same way worrying I have already stretched things out and I do not eat 1/4 a cup yet. I can't wait to see what people post. I am in hopes of an answer to your question.

I had a book I used right after surgery as well. I switched to My Fitness Pal and it works so much better, plus you can track your exercise and weight progress on there. You can look under the summary and see where you're at with carbs, Protein, calories, sodium, etc as you go through the day, which I find very helpful. That tells me if I'm going to be able to have some veggies or fruit or if I need to stick to Protein for dinner. :)

I'm Lissa912 on MFP if you decide to join and want some friends.

Oh, and don't try to force the whole 1/4 cup into your sleeve. Your nut probably intends for you to eat NO MORE THAN a 1/4 cup. :)

Thanks guys! I am actually already on myfitnesspal but I find it hard to remember to go log everything and I have trouble always finding the right serving size on there. For example: today I had 1/4 cup or slightly less refried Beans with reduced fat shredded cheese and I could not ever find anything to fit exactly. I haven't logged anything on there in a while because I seem to remember to write it down easier than to go to the app and log it there. Plus I get frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for.

I wasn't really trying to force 1/4 cup......my problem is......I haven't been "hungry" since my surgery. I cannot for the life of me tell when I'm full until I'm already overfull. I'm not sure what my signs are that I'm full. I'm sure I will learn that but until then I'm scared I'm screwin up my stomach. The docs told me I would just need to measure things.....well that's obviously not working because I feel like I'm overdoing it AND I am measuring.

Thanks guys! I am actually already on myfitnesspal but I find it hard to remember to go log everything and I have trouble always finding the right serving size on there. For example: today I had 1/4 cup or slightly less refried Beans with reduced fat shredded cheese and I could not ever find anything to fit exactly. I haven't logged anything on there in a while because I seem to remember to write it down easier than to go to the app and log it there. Plus I get frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for.

I wasn't really trying to force 1/4 cup......my problem is......I haven't been "hungry" since my surgery. I cannot for the life of me tell when I'm full until I'm already overfull. I'm not sure what my signs are that I'm full. I'm sure I will learn that but until then I'm scared I'm screwin up my stomach. The docs told me I would just need to measure things.....well that's obviously not working because I feel like I'm overdoing it AND I am measuring.

if you have it on your phone you can scan the bar code which I find is easier. you can also change the portion size so if it says 1oz click on it and hit .5 and then it become a 1/2 of an ounce. right now I weight & measure everything. I actually have a drawer of the most common foods and I have kept the labels & barcodes to make it easier. it is a process and you will find the right one that fits your needs but I would right it down as soon as it hit your mouth.

It was hard in the beginning for me. I never really felt hungery and then when i did eat i felt like i needed to throw up, but i never did. I'm over 2 months out, and now recognize when i am getting full before i get to the over full stage. but i did take a few weeks to get here.

I can't add a whole bunch here as eveyrone's already said what I thought of.... myfitnesspal.com but use it on your phone if you can for the scanning option! Makes it soooo easy. I used to journal and it just burns me out. The scanner feature on myfitnesspal rocks. And I now don't journal my workouts ... instead that too is in myfitnesspal.

The app gets easier with practice. So I encourage you to keep trying it. There's a screen where you can put the portion sizes in - and you can put in 1/8 of the serving for instance in myfitnesspal.

I have a hard time on foods and understand what you said about feeling like I'm screwing up, it's actually what brought me into reading more on your post. I totally understand that sentiment. I still feel like "what am I doing" some days .... and I'm 9 weeks out. It gets easier, but we still have our moments (or maybe it's I was a cash pay and didn't have a NUT... so y'all are lucky). I'm working on changing that currently.

Hang in there girl - you CAN do this! And don't force too much food ok? Stop whenever you feel full and speak to your NUT. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have that to practice right?

Best to you! xoxo

NUT = nutritionist

Don't worry if you can't eat 1/4 cup of food. Your stomach is still swollen from the surgery. My NUT told me not to worry about Protein for the first month or do. Instead focus on your Fluid intake. If you can't get in all the protein don't fret. If you're still getting nauseous then fall back to liquids for a bit. Remember you are still healing.

I'm having trouble getting the 1/4 c puréed down 2 but my NUT said to thin it out more with broth or soup/V-8 even just Water & that helped!!! I used creamy Soup too. That was tasty : )

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all the help.

On myfitnesspal I am ltarlton.

I didn't realize I could change the amount on there. I tried to change the serving size but it still didn't have the amount I needed. So I guess I need to change the number of servings. Is that what I need to do?

I don't feel nauseous at all. I just get that feeling that my food is sitting in my throat. I have done better today. I'm eating less than I tried to eat yesterday and it seems to be working.

I'm a little confused about my diet though. I thought I was gonna be able to eat soft meats but my NUT told me I could have them but I had to puree them. I could not just eat the soft meat until day 29. I'm not sure what puree means but I don't think I want to eat meat like that. She's very insistent that I get my Protein in but I'm having a hard time with the diet I've been given. I could do a whole lot better if I could eat meat. I can't eat Peanut Butter, vienna weenies, spam or potted meat (not that I think I might would eat that). Only eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding, refried Beans and Soup.< /p>

Any suggestions?

Maybe some fish? Fish was the easiest thing to get down for me.

Dress up your refried Beans a little. I add cheddar cheese, some sour cream and smooth taco sauce and it's almost like eating a bean burrito from Taco Bell, except without the tortilla.

My nutritionist actually told me I didn't need to puree my meat as long as it was really tender and moist and to make sure I chewed and chewed and chewed.