Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers... How Long Did It Take To Meet Your Goal Weight?

Yeah, so I am really, really down and depressed about my slow weight loss (3 months out and bouncing between 18 - 20 lbs lost even though I have lost inches).

Soooo, I am calling out to those of you that were slow losers and DID meet your goal weight. How long did it take? Any suggestions?

I am a revision patient and I have heard that this can play into the slow weight loss? Any thoughts on this?

I just joined 24hr Fitness and will start with a trainer next week... I am hoping this will help too!

Thanks...

Hi,

I consider myself a slow loser. I haven't actually reached my goal yet. I'm 47lbs away and im 6 months post op. So far I've lost 73lbs total including pre-op weight lost but 49lbs lost since nov 9th (surgery date).

I just went to see my NP last week and she said I would be able to reach my goal in the next 3-6 months as long as I exercise and eat right.

It's really important to make sure your eating at least 3 meals a day to keep you metabolic rate up. Eat Protein, protein, protein, and veggies. Keep the carbs low and get some exercise. You will do just fine. It might take you a little longer, and maybe not. At least your skin will have more time to adjust! ;)

I am still not at goal. I started at 233 when I had my surgery end of Nov and a little over 5 months out I am down 53lbs and still have 30 more to loose. I have had to let go of every expectation I had and just realize I am going to get there. I might not get there by my birthday next month, or even by summer this year, but I am going to get there and after I get there, I won't care that it took longer. In my experience, only here people care, in real life everyone asks me how much I have lost and they are very happy for me. If I whine to my friends in real life that I am a slow looser, they put me in my place. Even my fitness obsessed friend said she can't loose 10 lbs in a month the healthy way. 8 if she is lucky and that is not consistent. So just realizing you will get there and will it really matter that it took you 1 or 2 or even 4 extra months than you planned?? than you will be happier and more relaxed in this journey. Just keep an eye on whats going in your mouth and enjoy the ride.

Okay. I dont really understand this slow losing thing. Everyone says they are a slow loser and the range is huge! I have seen people post that 8 to 10 pounds a month is slow! Wow! That is soooo not true for most of us. I have been losing at a rate of about 6 to 7 pounds a month for the past 6 months, not counting the initial 2. I lost 4 pounds this past month. I think this is a fairly steady rate, not slow, not fast. This is not really a race. I have lost 83 pounds so far. I had a personal goal of 100 pounds so I am 17 pounds from that. I told my surgeon I wanted to reach that goal by August, my one year surgiversary and he said he would be happy if I reached it by Thanksgiving. The weight loss does slow up as you get closer to the one year mark. I think we need to accept that fact early on and not be so obssessed with it. I could have set my goal at 150, 160 or even 170 and I would have long surpassed those except the first one. I would be 1 pound away from goal if i had set it at 150. Goal is a personal choice. I think I will be healther and fit at 135 so that is what I chose but others my same height are happier at 160-170. So when you ask about how long it took someone to get to their goal, keep that in mind.

When I first started, I was getting upset when others would reach their goals and I still had 40 pounds to lose or they were wearing a size at my same weight that there was NO WAY I could wear. I realized its because we are all built a little different and have different goals so we could not really compare ourselves to others accurately.

Just keep on keeping on and it will come off. All that you want to lose, you can lose. I am going to keep on even if it takes me until Thanksgiving, I dont care that much. I am going to keep striving for summers end and see how close I come! We can all do this, no matter how long it takes.

I guess I just feel like I am failing my sleeve and it is hitting home after having that stupid band on for so long and gaining weight with it. Sorry if I am on a pity potty right now... I will snap out of it eventually. It just feels like i have been in a constant stall since having the surgery and it scares me. I can eat about 6-8 ounces of Protein in a sitting and that seems like alot.

Thank you all for your responses.. I know I will get there, I just didnt want to be one of those that got there slooooowly. And as far as skin bouncing back, my skin stopped bouncing back years ago. Cosmetic surgery is definitely in my future....