Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering what my fellow veggies are eating post-op, are getting enough Protein and how your weight loss is going?

I had my op on 26th April 2012 and so am a day shy of being 2 weeks post-op. I am due to go on a normal and varied diet as of around week 6. I eat diary, although too much disagrees with me - goes right through me, if you see what I mean?! I am intending to get my protein from Quorn products, TVP, lentils, pulses, Beans and eggs, cheese, greek yogurt etc. Any ideas or words of wisdom from those further out?

Hi! I'm a 99.9% vegetarian, but desire to be vegan. Check out my blog as I give info on what I've been eating. Hummus is my biggest go to food item. However, until I could eat mushies, which was 4 wks post-op, I did the Protein Shakes with added soy milk and Beneprotein. I also did lots of smooth Soups and added Beneprotein. I do a lot of tofu also and love the fresh tofu (puddling like) that I get a the asian market. It usually comes with a little side of sweet ginger Syrup. Heat up the fresh soft tofu and put a little ginger syrup on it. I personally love that sort of thing. I now eat mostly Beans, legumes, leafy greens (mostly juiced), soy products for my Protein. Protein first! I've been doing lots of juicing. My favorite juice is: kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, celery, cucumber, parsley, lots of fresh ginger, lemon, and pears or apples. Super nutrient rich juice. So yummy!

You are doing great. Congrats.

Many thanks for that. 51lbs lost since mid-January - well done! I'm off to check out your blog :)

here are a couple of suggestions suggestions for superfoods to help supplement your needs as a vegan.

Spirulina contains rich vegetable Protein (60~ 63 %, 3~4 times higher than fish or beef ), multi Vitamins (Vitamin B 12 is 3~4 times higher than animal liver), which is particularly lacking in a vegetarian diet. It contains a wide range of minerals (including Iron, Potassium, Magnesium Sodium, Phosphorus, Calcium etc.), a high volume of Beta- carotene which protects cells (5 time more than carrots, 40 time more than spinach), high volumes of gamma-Linolein acid (which can reduce cholesterol and prevent heart disease). Further, Spirulina contains Phycocyanin which can only be found in Spirulina.

In USA, NASA have chosen to use it for astronauts food in space, and even plan to grow and harvest it in space stations in the near future.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2765/2

Chia (Salvia hispanica)

1. Supports Heart Health
    Chia seeds can help reduce blood pressure. The seeds contain one of the highest known plant sources of essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6). EFAs cannot be synthesized by our bodies however, it is very important that we get enough to support our immune, cardiovascular, nervous and reproductive systems. EFA deficiency is quite common in North America.
  2. Stabilizes Blood Sugar
    Chia seeds slow down the rate at which complex carbohydrates are digested and then assimilated into the body. The soluble Fiber helps to stabilize blood glucose levels resulting in steady, sustained energy. In one study on diabetic patients, Dr. Vladamir Vuksan of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, found that blood was thinner and less prone to clotting and blood pressure of participants dropped significantly, after three months of taking Chia seeds daily.
  3. Energizing
    The word “Chia” comes from the Mayan language and means strength. Chia seeds are a balanced blend of Protein, carbohydrates, fats and Fiber. It is said that 1 tablespoon of Chia can sustain a person for 24 hours. Athletes have reported that Chia seeds help them perform at optimal levels for much longer periods of time.
  4. Anti-Inflammatory Properties
    A number of arthritis sufferers have reported reduced pain and inflammation after a few weeks of taking Chia seeds. The high concentration of omega-3 helps to lubricate joints and keep them supple. Additionally, Omega-3s are converted into prostaglandins which are known to have both pain relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.
  5. Weight Loss
    The essential fatty acids contained in Chia seeds helps to boost metabolism and promote lean muscle mass. The seeds are sometimes added to food to provide bulk and nutrients while adding very few calories. For these reasons, many people have found Chia quite useful in weight loss and weight maintenance.
  6. Detoxification and Elimination
    Similar to psyllium, the swelling action of Chia in the body helps to cleanse and soothe the colon, and absorb toxins while lubricating and strengthening peristaltic action.
  7. High Quality Protein
    Chia seeds contain about 20% protein, a higher percentage than found in many other grains such as wheat and rice. Chia seeds contain strontium which helps to assimilate protein and produce high energy.
  8. Antioxidants
    Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants containing even more antioxidants than fresh blueberries. The high amounts of antioxidants in Chia seeds also keeps the oils from going rancid - contributing to a long shelf life.
  9. Provides Fiber and Other Nutrients
    Besides EFAs, Chia seeds also provide fiber, Iron, Calcium, niacin, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus.
    2 tablespoons of Chia = 7 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 205 milligrams of calcium, 5 grams omega-3
  10. Brain Power
    EFAs are known to make cell membranes more flexible and efficient making nutrients more readily available and nerve transmission more efficient. This helps to improve brain function (including memory and concentration).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2

I became a vegetarian in March 4 months post op- I get my Protein in Tofu, meat alternatives (tofurkey, veggie burgers etc) Kale, Green smoothies etc... I have added MILA to my foods for Omega 3's and I eat steel cut oats every day for Breakfast.< /p>

I have lost about 26 lbs since I started the vegetarian diet and feel great- Don't feel deprived, lethargic, sleepy etc... Should have done this YEARS ago....