Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancer/chemo and lap-band?

Ok, I am just wondering if anyone else has cancer and what they did with their band fill?? I have breast cancer and I start radiation tomorrow. I am also supose to do chemo but I have not decided if I will do it or not, as I don't really want to go through it.

My ? is should I take all my fill out, just incase I get sick??? Anyone else going through this prob. I would love to talk to you?:help:

Thanks,

Shelley

I'm so sorry to hear of your Cancer and can only wish you the best.

My sister went through chemo, It did make her heave alot, but she was able to hold small amounts of yougart and Jello down for the few days after treetment. She always craved a steak and potatoe 3 days later, that was a good sign. I've heard apple sauce is comforting on the tummy as well.

She didn't have a band so I don't have advice, just know I'll be thinking of you!

I don't have any advice but just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and wish you the best.

They have a lot of medicine out there now days to keep you from throwing up while going through chemo. My mother had numerous different kinds of chemo and she never threw up from any of them.

Good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers to send you strength. One of my friends was diagnosed a stage 3 breast cancer about 9 months ago and after chemo and radiation she just found out she's cancer free!

WE have a land band buddy in Chicago that was banded with us last fall in TJ. She had lost over 40 when they found she had cancer. They told her the weight loss had helped her hormonal issues. She must have had a hormone sensitive type breast tumor. So they say her progress with the band and the weight loss was helpful to her cancer tx. I would not think it would be an issue unless you could not get proper nutrtition and then you could have an unfill if needed. Hang in there and BEAT this thing.

Kay

This is really a question best answered by your MDs. Radiation and chemo are the hallmarks of treatment for breast CA so research thoroughly before you opt out of chemo treatments. There are many new anti-emetic drugs that you can take. One of the newer ones is Zofran sub-lingual, 4 mg. You put the pill under your tongue and it dissolves and the taste is not bad at all.

I'll keep you in my prayers for a total and swift recovery from the CA.

I don't know about brest cancer and the chemo, but I recently had a full untill because my Chushing's is making me nausious most of the time. I take the zofran and it helps more than the phenegren or the composine.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes and prayers. I talked to my Dr. and he said that I need to have an unfill during chemo, just to be carefull. So in Oct. when I start I guess I will get an unfill, after all I don't want to loose this band due to slippage or anything.

I had my first radiation treatment today, and I am really tired, probably since I haven't eaten much, not hungry. I know I will be good and eat properly from now on.

Thanks again everyone, and I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Shelley:)

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and have good wishes heading your way. Please let us know how you're doing, okay?

I have been thru this. I had the band placed in 2006 and lost 70 lbs. Life was good! In May of 2012 I they found breast cancer and I had my left breast removed in June at Abbott NW Cancer Center In Minneapolis. Before that surgery I went next door to their Bariatric Center & they removed the saline. ( I think this was necessary as my port is located below the left breast.) After about 3 months of drainage & healing I was transferred to a local Oncology Dept where later I was told I'm cancer free at the present time. This fall I had some saline put in my port again. I love my Lap-Band, and am here on this site for inspiration & to find my way back to the comfort of my "tool" (Lap-Band).

Peace be with you as you do what must be done for the cancer. Try to limit the stress and take care of you. This site has many who will pray for your healing, & I wish you Merry Christmas & a Happy Healthy New Year!

Joanne

Joanne, congratulations on both your weight loss and being cancer free.

I am happy to say that I am now 7 years cancer free and feeling well.. I just went in on Dec. 19th and got my first fill in over 3 years. Doing pretty good, got a little hungry today, but dealing with it. I decided I didn't want to wait until next year to start my next years New Years resolution. I have even been exercising the last few days.

I refuse to give into my weight loss struggles, just like I refused to give into my cancer. Working hard to win both these battles. I have learned to never give up!

Shelley

I have been banded over 3.5 years....At 43 i was just diagnosed with breast cancer....after 3 lumpectomies I am now cancer free....I start 6 weeks of radiation treatment on Jan 6. not how I had planned starting my new year out! But it is what it is....I am still having a hard time dealing with it all. I have no plans of being unfilled. Love, love my band! Thanks for sharing your stories, Joanne and Shelley.

Danielle,

Congrats on your weight loss.

I too was 43 when I was diagnosed with cancer. You can get through this, radiation will make you really exhausted, don't let it stop you from doing what you need to do. I worked everyday through my radiation, 7 weeks of it. I would drive 25 min. To the hospital have my treatment then drive straight to work, work my 8 hours and watch my two kids play their sports, take to practice, or what ever. You can do it just stay strong!

I did my chemo treatments after my radiation, didn't miss a day of work, I work at a high school. Don't get me wrong it was hard, but I think work kept me going. I had some really hard days, but am happy to say I never got sick and never threw up. My body ached so much sometimes I thought I was going to die. I gained weight, couldn't taste my food, so kept eating thinking I would eventually taste it. Every time my taste buds started working again I had another treatment then it would be gone again.

Here I am 7 1/2 years later and it was all worth it..

Stay strong Danielle, you can do it! If you need any one to talk to I'm here for you. Glad you are keeping your fill, wish I would have.

Hugs from your new cancer friend,

Shelley

I was also diagnosed with breast cancer had lost 75 lbs but had to be unfilled for chemo that was last may since then have had ovaries out chemo,double mastectomy and waiting to start radiation. Oncologist says I'll be able to have a fill soon since I gained back 30 lbs can't wait to get back to losing