Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Unique About Being A 50S Sleever?

Hi. I think the reasons for having this surgery done change by age. When I was in my teens and 20s, I wished I were thin so I could wear pretty clothes. Now, in my 50s, I'm less concerned about my outward appearance and I'm more concerned about what's going on INSIDE.

First, I want to reduce my risk of cancer! I've had two scary biopsies already which, thank God, were negative. And I want to eliminate a whole bunch of aches and pains - knees, hips, back.

Although what I'm about to say has nothing to do with weightloss, it does pertain to the "inside" as opposed to the "outside." I find that in my 50s, I'm more concerned, too, with the inner dimension of "personhood" and fulfilling my spiritual potential, both in faith and, also, in doing meaningful work that is helpful to others.

What do the rest of you think makes us a unique group? What does the sleeve mean to you in your 50s that is different from people in 30s, 40s, 60s, or other?

i think i just want this for me - and not anyone or anything else. i think i'm sick and tired of always putting everyone first and now before i'm decrepid, i want something that will make me feel better about me!

Like you said Eileen I too had no real interest in changing my outward appearance at this point of my life. I had my reasons though......

We decided at age 51 to try to have a child with the help of all of the new medical technologies avavilable now. My wife said if it works I could retire as she knew I had always wanted to have kids and had long ago tired of my job. Well, it worked and she gave birth to twins in Jan 2009. I retired and took care of the kids, 24/7, diapers, feedings, cooking, cleaning etc....330 pounds and my weak knees were giving out. High BP, High Chol and became diabetic. March 2011 Doc suggested Bariatric Surgery and Sept 2011 it was done. 120 ponds lost and I have never felt better and have all of the energy and wherewithall to stay one step ahead of the kids and manage everything at home. It has allowed me to have the best of both worlds, the energ & strength I had in my mid 30'5 along with the financial independence, maturity and patience I now possess as a 54 year old man. The change in apperance is secondary but that too is great and I guess I am like anybody else love hearing that you look good.

I think us 50+ sleevers are unique in that we care far much more about health then looks whether we are single married or otherwtse!

My situation is very unique but I can't believe everything has worked out so well. By the way, I am no longer considered Diabetic and my HBP and High Chol are under control. My knees are so much better too, but still require daily exercise for strengthening which obviously also helps the weight loss and overall mental health!

I have diabetes and high cholesterol, i heard the sleeve will assist these diseases to go away. I have knee pain and have a hard time walking. I used to run every where. I just hope this will help me. I have a hard time due to the fact that i also had double hernia surgical repair at the same time as my sleeve.

Hi! I have 23 days left until my surgery. My back always hurts and my left knee hurts too. I have 3 beautiful granddaughters (and one more granddaughter to arrive late July). I want to be able to run and play with the 4 girls. I'm feeling 85 instead of 55. I wish I could have done this 10 years ago. Can't wait until June 14!

I too decided to have surgery now because of medical mostly.. and physical so I could keep up with my grandchildren along with having fun again and not worrying if I can fit in a seat somewhere....I will be in 52 in Nov.. and hope to be at a major milestone by then.. for those of you who have not had your surgery yet.. I will tell you that the day I went in the hospital I was a diabetic taking 4 pills a day and was taking a Water pill to relieve the swelling in my legs.. I had my sleeve surgery on April 9th and on April 11th when I left the hospital.. I have not taken any more diabetic meds or water pill.. I have seen my primary doctor and he is thrilled to say the least.. Heck.. I am thrilled... so the weight I am going to be loosing is just icing on the cake.. so hang in there and I just know all of you will be thrilled too.. Monday will be 7 weeks and I am down 47 lbs... my next "hump" that I am going for is my CPAP machine!! I want it gone!! So hanging in there until then!!

Hello all who have decided to do something wonderful for ourselves in the middle point of our lives. My reasons for doing this are multiple, first off my older daughter and my first husband had the procedure done last year by Dr. Almanza and I have seen first hand the wonderful results it accomplished for my daughter and how much happier she is, secondly my husband and I are doing this together on June 26th with Dr. Almanza. My husband who is a wonderful man has multiple medical issues, hypertension, diabetes, and sleep apnea with multiple medications that have caused us to no longer have a sex life, this is his main motivational desire to have this surgery along with the great hope that all his medical problems will soon be a past memory. I on the other hand am overweight at 210, but have no medical complications other than occasional pain to my left knee which already had a torn meniscus in 2005. I'm looking forward to this surgery to support my husband and our new life together, as I will soon be retired from the fire department and want to travel this great country we live in and want to enjoy it with good health and energy and also to be able to take care of my youngest son who is autistic, I want to be around for along time so that he can enjoy the life he has been accustom to.

I have not taken diabetic meds since my surgery and guess what my blood sugars are normal have not checked my cholesterol yet but my guess will be good. I have lost 64 pounds so far. my surgery ws on april19 2012 My knees only hurt occaisionally. I have been removed from my wound vac so pretty soon i will be able to start excercise. I feel like i have lost most of my muscle in legs and arms but hopefully will regain soon.

I will admit that I still want to look good on the outside... so that is a reason. But also, and mainly, I am tired of being tired. I have always been an active person and since the weight gain, I just don't have the energy. I have terrible sleep apnea and really, really want my cpap machine to go away. :) I have reflux that I would like to go away also.

I love clothes and can't wait to fit into cute things again. Sorry y'all. I am not as advanced! I want to be cute again!

I did it for me! I don't want to have any more health issues, my knees were getting bad, my hips hurt, I was border line diabetic, my blood pressure kept going up and I sing at church. I don't want to be the fat lady who sings at church. I don't want people to look at me when I sing about Jesus...I want them to listen to the message. I want to be able to ride amusement park rides with my grandbabies. I want to roll around in the floor with them again! I want to go shopping and not have to go to the plus section! I want to be comfortable in the airplane seat and not have to upgrade to first class so the belt fits. I want to wear a swimsuit and not look like a beached whale!

If all of these things are selfish..so be it. I hate being fat and love my sleeve. I am doing my part...eating right, trying to get my Protein in and walking, walking, walking. In about 15 more lbs I want to join a gym. I don't think I will ever be a swimsuit model...nor do I want to be. I just want to live a long, healthy, slimmer life!

I can so relate to things y'all are saying ! I want to be healthier, at the moment I have high BP, but nothing else. I know that at 355lbs (my highest was 376) I will not be able to tempt fate forever. I suffered the loss of my hubby in May this year and I am now going to recreate my "future" and want to be healthy as I go through discovering who I am now that I am no longer "we". Figuring out what "I" like to do, spending time with my 4 grandchildren and trying to move forward will only get better as the weight comes off. Shopping? Might like it, I am just used to going in & trying to find some more black clothes that fit. Very basic wardrobe LOL I might just like shopping now :)I already had both my knees replaced, one at 46 and the other at 51. Really want those to last as long as possible !!So yes, health is a big reason and if people think I look good at the same time, well then that would just be a bonus side effect :)

Hi Everyone,

It looks like the thread has gone pretty quiet, but I figured I would post my story here for anyone more recent. I am 53 and just was sleeved on Jan 24, 2013. I did it for health reasons, high blood pressure and issues with my back and hips, in addition to heart issues I was born with. My cardiologist has been talking about it with me for the last couple of years, but I was truly afraid of any surgery. I want to be able to do what I want to do with the rest of my life, without worrying about how I can get around. Play with the grandkids, travel and go do whatever I want to do. It truly has changed my life in alot of ways. I do not think people in their 30's have this impact their lives lives the way we in our 50's do.

My surgery is scheduled for March 11th. I have been told by numerous doctors the past few years that this surgery would save my life and I am ready. I am scared, but ready. I broke my back and had surgery, broke my hip and had it replaced, now both knees need to be replaced but the surgeon will not do it until I can lose a significant amount of weight. I have pain from my back, hips and knees all the time. I am so tired of living in such pain. One leg is longer that the other now by over an inch from my hip replacement. It makes it very difficult to walk. I have severe sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It is not much of a life, but I am hoping and praying that this surgery can turn things around for me. I, like many of you, do not care so much about the outward appearance, but am praying for a return to good health. This is such a good place to share with others that know exactly how I am feeling.

I'm still pre-surgery, and I'm not scheduled yet but hope to have the surgery in late spring or early summer.

Why do I want to do it? My husband and I and some of our friends love to travel, and it's hard for me to keep up when we're walking around a city all day - I end up with chronically sore hips, knees and ankles. I want to be truly comfortable on the airplane. I want to be able to just casually go into any clothing store instead of having to choose one with a decent plus size section. I am diabetic and have high cholesterol (both medicated) and I want to see a decrease or even a complete remission of both of those conditions. I want to feel good about going for an all-day hike instead of wearing out after three or four miles.

I'm not looking for a miracle. I know there will be lots of work involved, too, and it won't be easy. But I need a tool to help me get started on the right track, and this is the tool I've chosen.