Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Regret Your Sleeve?

Nope' date=' no regrets. I get frustrated sometimes about the small amounts I can eat, but glad my sleeve is stopping me.

I'll be 5 weeks out tomorrow and eat everything now with the exception of raw vegetables.[/quote']

So how long before you started eating meat?

Im only on the mushy stage so I miss fods with crunch and texture.

Ahhhh, makes more sense. I totally hear you. I'm dying for texture and not broth or other liquids.

I am one week out. I can tell you that I miss food. There is nothing more that I want then some hot french fries. But there is no way I regret my decison. I'm looking forward to do day that I can look in the mirror and feel good about myself' date=' or I can climb a couple flights of stairs with out feeling like I'm going to die.[/quote']

I hear you. I'm mostly happy with my decision, but being a guy, I sort of feel like a failure and my macho side comes out and says "you didn't need this surgery, you could have done it yourself". I know that's true but this surgery will make SURE I get healthier! Ha! I just am getting frustrated at certain things. Some will be overcome, like the ability to have meat again in a few weeks, but others are forever changes like drinking Water after working out. I used to chug Water and now I physically can't and feel like how can I get water back in my system fast enough when I'm thirsty like that. Just lots of things getting me frustrated.

Only thing I regret is the heartburn lol... That ish is no joke.' date=' especially when it wakes you up out your sleep on hell nah lol[/quote']

How long are you out now? Only heartburn I get is for a few mins when I eat my liquids too fast. Maybe you need to get on some stuff to tone it down?

I'm with Jimmy. Heartburn sucks. I've found it a bit of a difficult adjustment psychologically despite all the reading and research done prior. Little things like lying a certain way in bed exacerbates reflux....having to eat mushies for what seems like a millenium...getting dizzy....being hypervigilant about fluids....it all takes getting used to. So many people say they love their sleeve. I don't - yet. I'm looking forward to the day when I do. It's normal to be "over" mushies. I felt the same way. It doesn't last long - it's easy to say that in hindsight.

I like the losing weight and know I needed it, but yeah, as EVERYONE said, you can't prepare for the mental side of things and I'm really going through it right now. Glad I've got all of you to talk me down from the proverbial ledge!

I spent my first 6-7 weeks feeling like I was on the cusp of death. I couldn't eat. I couldn't drink. I couldn't stay out of the hospital. I regretted it with my whole heart and soul. I cried. I was so mad at what I had done to myself.

Now' date=' I am 13 weeks out and I don't even feel like I ever had surgery! I eat less. That's it. I can take 3-4 big gulps of Fluid, wait about 20-30 seconds, and take 3-4 more big gulps... and that's how I drink now. I can drink icy cold Water with no sweetners or flavorings in it.... it's heavenly! I never thought I would be to this place but I'm SO HAPPY I got the surgery! I've only lost around 47lbs so far... but that's an average of 3.6lbs each week. I NEVER could have done that myself![/quote']

So happy for you, Bedhead! I totally understand your earlier stage. I havent had ANY issues really besides just leaning how to live now, but it's been surreal in feeling like nothing really changed because I was back up and going after two days and haven't had any issues, so it's been a feeling of "did I really do it myself? It feels like a bad dream".

I wouldn't say that I actually felt "regret" but I did question things early on. I found myself mentally at the same place I would typically get when trying to diet on my own. You get tired of the new routine and you want to go back to the comfort of your old habits. Fortunately' date=' the sleeve and the fear of messing up after surgery give most of us the push we needed to get past that phase and stick with it. As your stomach heals you'll begin to introduce a greater variety of flavors and textures and as you see the weight falling off consistently then you know it was the right decision.

At least this was my experience and what I have heard from others who have been successfull. I'm down 127 lbs in just under 6 months and now regret is not even in my vocabulary. Good luck![/quote']

So happy for you!!! Loved your wording of feeling like you're tired of the diet and want to go to back to the old comfort. Maybe that's what it all is. Thank you so much for replying!

The first few days I just stared off into space. Never realized how my daily life was revolved around Food! I was mad at myself but never admitted it to anyone. Now almost a month out I have lost 23 pounds, but still feel helpless. I am sticking to my instructed diet, but can not get the dang scale to move below 235. I am feeling like I wasted my money.

The crazy thing is it is impossible to consume food the old way so why am I not losing weight?

Hang in there "esheldon"..... you'll be glad you had this done at some point and the regret will be long gone. It does suck early on with the mushy and liquid only stage, no other way to put it. But it's temporary and shall pass. When those cravings hit me early on and I couldn't eat those types of foods, it helped me to distract myself some and go for a walk, play with my kids, do chores, etc. Basically whatever may be fun and/or can help distract you from that food. Pulling for ya man!

Hang in there "esheldon"..... you'll be glad you had this done at some point and the regret will be long gone. It does suck early on with the mushy and liquid only stage' date=' no other way to put it. But it's temporary and shall pass. When those cravings hit me early on and I couldn't eat those types of foods, it helped me to distract myself some and go for a walk, play with my kids, do chores, etc. Basically whatever may be fun and/or can help distract you from that food. Pulling for ya man![/quote']

Question: why are you on creatine? That's a weight gainer

Jimmy....it's not FOR gaining weight, but it does add about 3-5 pounds Water weight on me. But since I love lifting, it's worth the added muscle energy and muscle water retention to help my strength gains in the gym. It does not add fat, or muscle for that matter. But it does help your muscle stay hydrated enough and energetic enough (ATP retention) to hit the weights hard and get the maximum from your workouts. I checked with my Dr and he gave me the go ahead as long as I consume even more water while on creatine since your muscles saturate themselves with water while taking creatine and you want to make sure the rest of your body stays hydrated as well. As soon as I stop taking it for 3-4 days, I immediately drop those few pounds of water weight. But I can tell it does help me get the most from my workouts, so I use it for about a month or so at a time.

My only regret is, that I didn't get my sleeve sooner! I love it! It won't be long & you will be able to eat other foods, just be careful what you choose to eat...

if you have a sams club near you they have this chicken sausage with mozzarella & roasted garlic. OMG too die for and I ate it while on mushies. (chew it really well, very moist and peel the casing off before you eat it) It is higher in calories & fat that I normally eat I allow myself once a week. either have it with mustard, or plain. I never finish the whole link. last night i grilled it with some mushy brussel sprouts. I ate 3/4 of the link and one sprout. I am still in the " I will never be able to eat the same way again" phase. But i'm adjusting. made a low sugar/carb barbeque sauce and made shredded BBQ chicken for dinner (no bun) Texans need their bbq :-)

good luck. I am craving a salad with sweet grape tomato's . I can wait for fresh veggies again!! OH another thing you can try is crab. go to joe's crab shack and enjoy. (dont use the butter use cocktail sauce if needed) crab is high in Protein and super mushy

grrrrrrrr! I'm only 4 days out, and darn that sounds good!!!!!!!

From 44 waist jeans to 34 waist in less than 4 months and 84 lbs lost! No regrets at all!!!! I exercise regularly and don't eat junk. I could never have changed my ways without the sleeve. I barely remember the mushy stage and it seems like ages ago!