Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Aussiegirl, great news about getting your cast off today. Hope it's onwards and upwards (or should that be downwards! Lol) from here.

I have been trying to track my liquids with My Fitness Pal. Could someone please tell me how I change the totals of kgs, Protein etc. I have searched the sight and I'm sure it's something really obvious I have missed.

My surgeon usually sees patients two weeks post op but because of the long weekend I don't see him until three weeks post op (4 Feb). I didn't ask about when I could start driving. Also whether I can go into a pool, not for swimming but thinking Australia Day, we are having friends over for a barbie (soup for me). Was hoping to have a gentle dip. My wounds seem to be glued over and it's fine to shower. Any suggestions on my two questions? As I haven't told people about my surgery it will be interesting to see how my non-eating is viewed. They know I have had a hernia op and I was thinking of just saying I've been quite nauseous since the op so just having some gentle foods to get me through my recovery....hope it works!!

Any advice re driving and the pool would be much appreciated.

Hi SwiftKate, I wouldn't be swimming only two weeks post op; the wound glue wont deteriorate in a shower because we are only in a shower for a few minutes but we tend to stay in a pool for much longer and my concern would be that your wounds might begin to break down. We usually tell patients six weeks for complete healing. The other risk is that these 'incision sites' are a direct route into your abdomen and if perchance you got an infection it could get inside and be very uncomfortable. Perhaps call your Surgeon and him for his advice.

Re, driving, generally a week after an anaesthetic you should be fine to drive but if you are still on strong pain killers or having any episodes of dizziness it's best not to drive. Like everything about surgery, it's an individual thing, although someone on another site did mention that your Insurance company might have a policy about this.

I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes

one_elle26 :rolleyes:

Hey everyone, again it's been a while since I last posted, but have been keeping up with the posts.

Just thought I would share its my 6 months surgiversary tomorrow (23rd). My stats are 44kgs down. Still have 31kgs to go. My weight has also been slowing. Have hit a few stalls along the way and I usually mix up my calories with a cheap meal and it starts to drop again.

Kelliv - don't stress about the 1 kg gain, I have gained 600g in the last week. But I think it's because of the extra Water I am drinking at its so bloody hot.

My daily intake is either a coffee or just milk for Breakfast, morning tea is tuna and crackers, lunch is either Protein and salad or sushi or egg omelette thing I make, afternoon tea is fruit, then dinner is Protein and veggies and sometimes carbs. Plus heaps if Water.

Aussiegirl - great to hear you moving to a moon boot, more movement

Puppyphat - hope you feel better

Swiftkate - great to hear you are doing well

To everyone else it's great hearing all your positive and helpful comment. I feel very supported in here.

Hi SwiftKate, I wouldn't be swimming only two weeks post op; the wound glue wont deteriorate in a shower because we are only in a shower for a few minutes but we tend to stay in a pool for much longer and my concern would be that your wounds might begin to break down. We usually tell patients six weeks for complete healing. The other risk is that these 'incision sites' are a direct route into your abdomen and if perchance you got an infection it could get inside and be very uncomfortable. Perhaps call your Surgeon and him for his advice.

Re, driving, generally a week after an anaesthetic you should be fine to drive but if you are still on strong pain killers or having any episodes of dizziness it's best not to drive. Like everything about surgery, it's an individual thing, although someone on another site did mention that your Insurance company might have a policy about this.

I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes

one_elle26 :rolleyes:

One-Elle, thanks for that advice it certainly makes sense. I am one week out today and feel really good so might try driving in a few days. What you said about staying in the pool for a long time makes sense and it seems to make me remember reading something else somewhere about infections as you indicated. I have decided to give myself the best possible chance of recovery so the world will have to wait awhile before seeing me strutt myself in my bathers!!!

Weight in day today, one week post op and I have lost 3.3 kgs this week. That's a total of 8.4 kgs in three weeks. Am so happy.

So good to hear how everyone is getting along.

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie being sleeved on 31st Jan at concord. I have just completed my first week of my 2 week pre op and I'm so excited to report I am down just over 5kgs. Yay me ! Bring on the 31st

Hiya. Welcome. Exciting times!

Woohoo! I am out of the 120's! As of today' date=' I am 118.8kg! I honestly can't remember when I was this weight. Spoke to my dietician today - she is stoked with my weight loss but a bit concerned about my low calorie count. But she had really reasonable suggestions on how to increase it - now I just have to give it a shot :) Hope everyone else is going well!! Aussiegirl, I am glad to hear you're doing better. Kelli - hope you're feeling better and that the weight starts to move. Cheers, Lila[/quote']

That's fantastic Lila, so well done. Can't wait to hear you have cracked the 100kg mark!

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie being sleeved on 31st Jan at concord. I have just completed my first week of my 2 week pre op and I'm so excited to report I am down just over 5kgs. Yay me ! Bring on the 31st

Welcome and all the best for your surgery.

Hi everyone I am due to be sleeved on Feb 19. Going through some pretty big ups and downs, fors and againsts! Did anyone else struggle with the permanency if this operation? Just wondering how others dealt with the thought. Thanks.

Hi everyone I am due to be sleeved on Feb 19. Going through some pretty big ups and downs' date=' fors and againsts! Did anyone else struggle with the permanency if this operation? Just wondering how others dealt with the thought. Thanks.[/quote']

My reasoning: do I want weight loss to be temporary or permanent? Answer: permanent. I can not think of a reason why I would want to have a procedure to make you stay slim the rest of your life reversed.

What's wrong with it being permanent? What makes that a negative and not a positive?

Hi everyone I am due to be sleeved on Feb 19. Going through some pretty big ups and downs' date=' fors and againsts! Did anyone else struggle with the permanency if this operation? Just wondering how others dealt with the thought. Thanks.[/quote']

Hi Seth

Yes I did have these struggles. I think it is natural to feel like this as it is life changing step you are taking and there is no turning back after the op BUT the rewards are fantastic! I had a couple of.moments where I thought 'what the hell have I done' - one when I was trying to come out of the anesthetic after the op and I felt like death, the other when I transitioned from liquids to muchie food after the op when I thought 'I am never going to be able to eat again' but I can honestly say that all that is a distant memory and I am so happy now - especially when I slip into my size 30 slight curve levis!!

I did morn the way I used to eat and some foods I used to love just don't taste the same but I am so happy that I am not a slave to food any more as it did have a hold over me - a bit dramatic I know - but that's is how I feel - relief! Good luck with your surgery and the journey ahead! You will be so happy seeing the weight come off.

Here isa strange one - My next challenge is I have developed a sweet tooth that I didn't have before so I am trying to bring that under control. It doesn't help that there are still a lot of chocolates hanging around our house from Christmas - has anyone developed a taste for foods that they weren't interested in prior to surgery?

Hi everyone I am due to be sleeved on Feb 19. Going through some pretty big ups and downs, fors and againsts! Did anyone else struggle with the permanency if this operation? Just wondering how others dealt with the thought. Thanks.

Hi Seth and welcome to the group.

This is one question that concerned me the most prior to my surgery. I was scared that things would never be the same again. I initially started out thinking that I didnt want anything permanant. Through the process of investigation of the options I found that it was the best option for me.

I dont say t hat the sleeve is the best choice for everyone, we all have different needs and wants in life.

What i do know all the fears I had pre-surgery about what life would like after surgery and things never being the same again were wasted energy. Post surgery, yes I eat less, the only time I really notice that now is when I am eatting out but I have developed ways of dealiing with this, either share a meal with friends or order an entree for myself. I can eat pretty much the same things that I did pre-surgery, however generally now my body craves good stuff that I can derive more engery from rather than junk food. I am in maintenance and yes I still eat junk on occasion. I still drink alcohol, maybe a bit slower but doesnt really feel like it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while it is a permanant measure I dont feel like it is an impact to my life now.

Life isnt the same for me but in every way it is better, cause I took control of my life. For me my eatting/weight was defining me, it doesnt now.

Just my 2 c from 16 months out....

Welcome sconatsam!!

Way to go Lila!! Way to go!! *insert cheerleader singsongy thing here*...double digits here you come..I know how much of a landmark in the process is. You are seriously rocking your sleeve.

Swiftkate, hopefully all is still going well with your recover

Here isa strange one - My next challenge is I have developed a sweet tooth that I didn't have before so I am trying to bring that under control. It doesn't help that there are still a lot of chocolates hanging around our house from Christmas - has anyone developed a taste for foods that they weren't interested in prior to surgery?

Hey Sue, looks like we were answering Seths question at the same time

I have the same/similar, pre-surgery I had the sweet tooth, if asked me back then what was my favourite food I would have said chocolate. Post surgery if I have more than one bite (like a bite sized chocolate I am feeling ill), cakes etc I can still eat (rightly or wrongly). But now when I get cravings it is salty stuff I crave life corn chips, pop corn, crackers, chips and cheese. Pre surgery I could take or leave these things as such.

Hey Seth and welcome.

The permanency is one of the things that attracted me to the VSG as well.

In the past I'd been able to lose weight with a concerted all life consuming effort. But I was never able to keep it off. I'm hoping the permanency of the VSG is a tool to help me with that.

Cheers,

Deano

Hi Seth

Yes I did have these struggles. I think it is natural to feel like this as it is life changing step you are taking and there is no turning back after the op BUT the rewards are fantastic! I had a couple of.moments where I thought 'what the hell have I done' - one when I was trying to come out of the anesthetic after the op and I felt like death, the other when I transitioned from liquids to muchie food after the op when I thought 'I am never going to be able to eat again' but I can honestly say that all that is a distant memory and I am so happy now - especially when I slip into my size 30 slight curve levis!!

I did morn the way I used to eat and some foods I used to love just don't taste the same but I am so happy that I am not a slave to food any more as it did have a hold over me - a bit dramatic I know - but that's is how I feel - relief! Good luck with your surgery and the journey ahead! You will be so happy seeing the weight come off.

At 11 weeks I don't really have any cravings for anything. Having said that I'm wondering if the bubble will burst!

Deano, the bubble inevitably bursts lol..I think I went about 8 months without any cravings and then they came back. Definitely not as bad as before and in different way but they are there now.

It is weird tho if I think about having a meal now (ie breakky, lunch, dinner) my body always craves stuff that is good for me, lean Protein, veggies...burgers and fries etc barely come to mind. But Snacks are where my body has lil moments of wanting the junky stuff.

Thanks everyone some great insights into the process and my concerns. I too have been and up and down weight loss story and now with some other health concerns and a young son I want a long lasting change in my lifestyle. I am fairly sure the sleeve is the tool to help me get there too. Again many thanks for your advice and insights.