Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Thank you Merry1 and lessismore67, I thought somehow it wasn't working for me already! Great to know it happened to others.

Happy New Year to all.

Thank you Merry1 and lessismore67, I thought somehow it wasn't working for me already! Great to know it happened to others.

Happy New Year to all.

Your welcome Ditdee, I know what you mean about thinking it isn't working, if I go for a few days or a week and do see numbers change on the scale I start to worry that maybe I am eating to much or that it just isn't going to work for me. Luckily I have a daughter who keeps reminding me that there are victories other than the scale like loosing cm's and having clothes getting looser. This really is an emotional journey as well as a physical one isn't it. I think we are so used to diets not working in the past that it is very easy to doubt that this could possibly work.

My pleasure Ditdee.Just ask whatever you want and someone will have the answer on this wonderful forum. I remember crying in frustration 2 weeks post-surgery. I was only getting 300 cals on fluids, I was genuinely hungry and I had put on weight on the scales and (blushing) I actually wondered if Dr Mosse had taken out enough of my stomach !! Ridiculous I know.

You are right merry1. I think I was just so used to another diet failing. Even now, I am only on 750 cals per day and "only" losing 1kg per week (with lots of stalls) when technically I should be eating 2000 cals per day to maintain my basic body functions. No wonder all my previous attempts at diet and exercise to control my weight failed. The final decision for bariatric surgery came for me when I was starving on 1100 cals per day and was still putting on the kgs. It is an emotional and psychological journey as much as a physically restrictive one. My only regret is that this procedure was not available when I was younger. I love my sleeve.

Happy New Year to all.

Your welcome Ditdee, I know what you mean about thinking it isn't working, if I go for a few days or a week and do see numbers change on the scale I start to worry that maybe I am eating to much or that it just isn't going to work for me. Luckily I have a daughter who keeps reminding me that there are victories other than the scale like loosing cm's and having clothes getting looser. This really is an emotional journey as well as a physical one isn't it. I think we are so used to diets not working in the past that it is very easy to doubt that this could possibly work.

Thank you for all your sensible advice and honesty with sharing your journey misty. I am glad you will be still here. Happy new year.

Thanks it was a blast!

All, I am cutting back the amount of time that I spend on this site. One of my goals for 2014 is to find balance in my life and that means spending less time in front of the computer. I am not quitting completely as i don't want to lose touch with you. If anyone wants to add me on Facebook please send me a PM with your name or email and I will add you. People say they have trouble finding me on Facebook.

How far out are you lessismore and merry1

From all the forums I have read everyone has the same regret of not doing it earlier or it not being available so I have done it young in the hopes my kids will also benefit. Hearing people say that was a big factor in why I did decide to do it.

I know this isn't a diet but everyone I've ever been one has seen me lose weight for two weeks and then either gain or maintain on the other two due to my 'cycle', I certainly was hoping it wasn't going to happen with this surgery but seems it is.

A "three week stall" is so normal with this surgery that it is a cliche. Just keep following your plan and wait it out. :)

From all the forums I have read everyone has the same regret of not doing it earlier or it not being available so I have done it young in the hopes my kids will also benefit. Hearing people say that was a big factor in why I did decide to do it.

I know this isn't a diet but everyone I've ever been one has seen me lose weight for two weeks and then either gain or maintain on the other two due to my 'cycle', I certainly was hoping it wasn't going to happen with this surgery but seems it is.

Ditdee I am 12 weeks out and have lost 20kgs since surgery, some weeks I haven't lost anything though so don't be disheartened, as Misty said stick with your plan and it will work for you,and try not to compare yourself with others, we are all on the same journey but each of us has to travel our own road.

Hi Aussiegirl! So good to hear from you!! You are so determined and self disciplined I know you will drop those 5kg in no time. Are you happy with your plastic surgery? Any tips for us?

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I have not been back here in a while but still see all your updates come through to my phone.

Good to see some more newbies come in and the "oldies" still around :)

Everyone is looking and doing amazing.

I admit to having lost my way for a little bit. After the prolonged recovery from the plastic surgery (where no exercise was allowed), quickly followed or concurrently with a very stressful period of work (travelling constantly/demanding clients/long long long long hours) and then overseas trip and Christmas (read alcohol period) I admit to having lost my way for a bit, and found I have put on 5 kgs from the lowest I have been. Strangely tho I dont look like I have (but go figure).

So much for getting off the weight rollercoaster, i think for me it is life balancing act. I am back into it and back to trying to get into 2 work outs a day (a kick starter so to speak), as I know how hard I still have to work, but 5kgs is better than 75kgs. And now I do know that I can do it, through eatting better and exercising more (besides I do feel better emotionally when I am exercising) and I have two 5km runs to get ready for at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

I hope everyone is well.

Thanks Lessismore :)

The plastic journey so to speak is very different. Mine was made much harder due to complications with the surgery (which almost cost me my life but thankfully did not). It is definitely not something to under take lightly.

But in the end result (now 4 months afterwards) I am fairly happy with the result, I would have liked to have seen some more skin removed as I still have some over hang and also have a recurring issue with numbness and pain in my arm from the arm reduction.

There are days when I am like, really there isnt much difference but I was looking at photos that I took just prior and the difference is significant, need a reality check sometimes eh. But shopping is definitely much more fun, my last trip to the US I went on a dress shoppng spree (like 13 dresses and most of them tight fitting) and I feel good in them.

Ditdee, as everyone has said the 3 week mark is notorious for being a stall period where you may not loose weight and may gain weight, it is just your body reajusting. Just keep working it and eatting smart and the weight loss will return

hi ditdee. I am nearly six months out and have lost 30kg. It is far too early for you to feel unhappy about your stall but I understand your frustration. Hang in there. There will be more stalls in the future. Some people, like me have lots, some don't. Stick to "the rules" and it will work for you over time. You are already with us all on the losers bench and your new health and vitality (and wardrobe) is closer than you think :)

Hi all and Happy New Year - great to hear from you Aussie girl! I too have put some weight on after maintaining for nearly 6 months! I have been eating crap over Christmas and it has finally come home to roost! I have also noticed that over that last month or so I can eat larger quantities so this has probably got something to do with it. So my goal now is to cut out all rubbish and watch my portion sizes and snacking between meals ( I obviously don't need the Snacks if I am eating more at meal times). I have finally joined the gym but have lost momentum over Christmas. I think I will buy myself a personal training package to get me going again for the year. Unfortunately I can't blame muscle gain on my weight gain as I just haven't been doing enough! Regarding stalls - I have come to the conclusion that some people's bodies just hold onto weight more than other people. I agree with everyone's advise on just sticking to the program - even if you are only dropping and average of 500 grams a week, if you add the weeks up it is a significant weight loss and more that most people could hope to achieve without the sleeve. My only advise is focus on developing healthy eating habits now as when you get to maintenance it is that much harder to break any habits you have formed over the great weight loss window of 6 months or so - I am learning the hard way and my surgeon did warn me about this (but who listens to the doctors all the time right!).

I think it is nearly time for another Sydney Siders get together - Kelli - when did you say you would be in Sydney? Hope you can make it Aussie girl and Susan? All welcome of course!

Edited by sueoco

Sueoco said: I think it is nearly time for another Sydney Siders get together - Kelli - when did you say you would be in Sydney? Hope you can make it Aussie girl and Susan? All welcome of course!

Count me in Sue!

Edited by Sydney Susan

Hi all and Happy New Year - great to hear from you Aussie girl! I too have put some weight on after maintaining for nearly 6 months! I have been eating crap over Christmas and it has finally come home to roost! I have also noticed that over that last month or so I can eat larger quantities so this has probably got something to do with it. So my goal now is to cut out all rubbish and watch my portion sizes and snacking between meals ( I obviously don't need the Snacks if I am eating more at meal times). I have finally joined the gym but have lost momentum over Christmas. I think I will buy myself a personal training package to get me going again for the year. Unfortunately I can't blame muscle gain on my weight gain as I just haven't been doing enough! Regarding stalls - I have come to the conclusion that some people's bodies just hold onto weight more than other people. I agree with everyone's advise on just sticking to the program - even if you are only dropping and average of 500 grams a week, if you add the weeks up it is a significant weight loss and more that most people could hope to achieve without the sleeve. My only advise is focus on developing healthy eating habits now as when you get to maintenance it is that much harder to break any habits you have formed over the great weight loss window of 6 months or so - I am learning the hard way and my surgeon did warn me about this (but who listens to the doctors all the time right!). I think it is nearly time for another Sydney Siders get together - Kelli - when did you say you would be in Sydney? Hope you can make it Aussie girl and Susan? All welcome of course!

hi. Sue, I will be in Sydney a couple of times in. February. The first set of dates are Monday 10 & Tuesday 11 Feb and will staying in the CBD. Would love yo catch up.

Like you and asussiegirl i have struggling a little to maintain my weight loss now i am essentially at maintenance. I started a new job late November and just haven't been aware enough of what and how much i am eating. I am more hungry as I am more active too. I have put on nearly 3 kg and want to nip it in the bud. I will start diarising again using My Diet Diary and will go back to 800 calories on 5 days and 500 on the other two. I know it's the treats that are the problem such as wine, chips and Desserts. It just adds needless calories. At least I am confident. I could never go back to the way I was before surgery. I look forward to meeting you both in Sydney soon.

OK Kelli and everyone that wants to join us. Let's lock in the Monday 10th or Tuesday 11th Feb. Either suits me and I have no problem travelling into the city - as I will be working during the day, I though dinner and drinks somewhere? Please let me know what suits everyone and who would like to join us. I was thinking dinner somewhere in the city - The Rocks or Darling Harbour area?. I hope you can make it Aussie girl?

OK Kelli and everyone that wants to join us. Let's lock in the Monday 10th or Tuesday 11th Feb. Either suits me and I have no problem travelling into the city - as I will be working during the day, I though dinner and drinks somewhere? Please let me know what suits everyone and who would like to join us. I was thinking dinner somewhere in the city - The Rocks or Darling Harbour area?. I hope you can make it Aussie girl?

I am in. Somewhere around the Rocks would be great. I am looking forward to meeting you all.

I am in. Somewhere around the Rocks would be great. I am looking forward to meeting you all.

I am definitely in (providing my work doesn't send me off on a last minute trip to hell aka Melbourne, happened way too many times end of last year).

If we go to the Rocks we should go to the Glenmore, it is at the top of the rocks with a rooftop bar with views over the Harbour. My favourite place at the rocks, and on a Mon/Tues there should be space.