Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi Kelli - Good to see you online. You look fantastic and must be within the healthy BMI now - I have no doubt that you will lose those last few kilos once this Christmas madness is over. Your job sounds rather glamorous - entertaining and travelling! I can relate to getting off track with the food choices - you know me and this bloody new found sweet tooth I have now developed! I am now making sure I reach for fruit instead of chocolate when I want something sweet. I am trying to see if I can break this habit. It hasn't impacted my weight (yet!) but it is not the best nutritional choice to keep reaching for the caramel pop corn and chocolate bars! Still learning!

I hear you Sue. Previously it hadn't been too much of an issue but with work now, there is fabulous food around constantly and it's such a temptation. I will check out the veterans forum as Misty has suggested.

Hi Kelli - sounds like the job is amazing although, there are little traps you will have to work out :) I guess my reflection on your post was that, wow, isn't it great that you're aware now of managing the weight and are dealing with a small weight gain of 2kg instead of just letting it go and go until voila, you have a "problem" again. I think that is the amazing thing about your post - acknowledging the pitfalls and looking for solutions. I think having a chat to other's on the veteran forum is a good idea - but even just doing an analysis of how the situation has developed (as you've done with buffet/ banquet type situations) and putting plans in place to manage that. Everyone has a "fix" to manage their weight - bariatric and non-bariatric people :) . What I think is great is how you're addressing it now to make a minor adjustment before you have to really hit the panic stations.

It might even resolve itself by simply being more conscious that this is a trap for you - it is amazing how much you can adjust your behaviour by simply being aware and making better choices consistently than making amazing efforts over short periods (i.e. dieting lol). You're so close to goal, you must be able to "taste" it - sorry probably a bad pun :)

Anyway Kelli, I think you're doing brilliantly and thank you for sharing your struggles! I know, as a sleever who's out a little over a year, that these are the things that are going to be problematic for me at some point too :)

Cheers, Liss

Hello fellow sleevers :)

Happy Holidays!! I am so into Christmas this year! I honestly couldn't imagine being here, this happy and healthy a year ago. It was all so rough back then! So it is simply amazing to me that things are going well, I am feeling great and a special little Christmas miracle is that the weight started moving again after very slow losses over the past 5 weeks.

Some of the things that I have come to realise is that, given half an opportunity, I fall back into old habits. Surprisingly, I am not talking just about food, but it is a symptom of the "Too Busy For Me" syndrome from which I suffer. To explain, I basically am really good at putting everything and everyone else before me. To my detriment, I seem to, at time, actively try to find things to put before myself in an act of what, could appear to the casual observer, to be a sort of martyrdom, or self-flagellation. Not that I am consciously doing this of course, but I seem to find things or reasons not to be able to do things that will ultimately help me by filling my day and time with things for others or with "non-me" priorities.

For example, I work really long and crazy hours, I care for my nephew and I volunteer with a local charity. All this stuff keeps my busy without putting additional pressure on myself by offering (often unnecessarily) to do more, to help people out (even when I know that I could use a hand) and to always know that I can sacrifice the "me" time, I had squirrelled away. The consequence is that I get that lovely feeling from being able to do everything and helping other people out (my personal kryptonite) but it's at the expense often of my overall health. I usually sacrifice exercise and taking time during the day to eat (not conscious this one, but often a consequence of my distraction) which makes me feel lethargic and just generally less well. I am also often caught in the trap of "all or nothing" thinking, whereby if I can't go on my usual 5km run then why run at all??? I find that my thinking begins to support the "Too Busy For Me" schemas and I stop problem solving and accept that "there's nothing I can do about the fact it's now too dark to exercise!" What nonsense!!! I have weights, exercise DVD's and a long corridor in my house that I can run sprints at any time of the day or night!! See back into old thinking and old behaviours before you know it!

This translates into poor food choices, actually through restriction, although that is unintentional. I tend to forget to eat for long, long periods until my body gets jack of it and reminds me (usually by feeling headachy or dizzy weak) that I haven't eaten. And of course, I then struggle to choke down a few bites of anything. Mostly it's something light because again, I am usually on the run, like a corn cake or a few nuts. When I get really into the "Too Busy for Me" stuff, I find that the only time I eat all day is at dinner, and due to the restriction my little tummy rebels at putting anything down there, so I might be lucky to eat 1/4 cup of food.

So the reason I am posting this incredibly long (but I hope not incredibly boring) post, is to one, invite you to think about falling back into old habits that aren't necessarily food specific but "food adjacent" behaviours that contributed to your health issues pre-sleeve and if you would like to, post a response with your own experiences or maladaptive thinking patterns in relation to your own health.

Cheers, Liss

So I have arrived home and without the comfort of iv fluids and and a hospital bed I feel a little lost. I have this lump in my throat that seems to be there all the times at varying degrees. I haven't felt hunger since the op so I can't define full either...I have a few sips or tablespoons of liquids but am finding it difficult to determine what my body is trying to tell me? I'm not sure what feels good or what doesn't.. What's right or what isn't...I'm hoping some of the veterans or anyone really can offer some tops or advice on how to learn again what my body is trying to tell me???

<p>Hello fellow sleevers :)</p> <p> </p> <p>Happy Holidays!! I am so into Christmas this year! I honestly couldn't imagine being here, this happy and healthy a year ago. It was all so rough back then! So it is simply amazing to me that things are going well, I am feeling great and a special little Christmas miracle is that the weight started moving again after very slow losses over the past 5 weeks.</p> <p> </p> <p>Some of the things that I have come to realise is that, given half an opportunity, I fall back into old habits. Surprisingly, I am not talking just about food, but it is a symptom of the "Too Busy For Me" syndrome from which I suffer. To explain, I basically am really good at putting everything and everyone else before me. To my detriment, I seem to, at time, actively try to find things to put before myself in an act of what, could appear to the casual observer, to be a sort of martyrdom, or self-flagellation. Not that I am consciously doing this of course, but I seem to find things or reasons not to be able to do things that will ultimately help me by filling my day and time with things for others or with "non-me" priorities.</p> <p>For example, I work really long and crazy hours, I care for my nephew and I volunteer with a local charity. All this stuff keeps my busy without putting additional pressure on myself by offering (often unnecessarily) to do more, to help people out (even when I know that I could use a hand) and to always know that I can sacrifice the "me" time, I had squirrelled away. The consequence is that I get that lovely feeling from being able to do everything and helping other people out (my personal kryptonite) but it's at the expense often of my overall health. I usually sacrifice exercise and taking time during the day to eat (not conscious this one, but often a consequence of my distraction) which makes me feel lethargic and just generally less well. I am also often caught in the trap of "all or nothing" thinking, whereby if I can't go on my usual 5km run then why run at all??? I find that my thinking begins to support the "Too Busy For Me" schemas and I stop problem solving and accept that "there's nothing I can do about the fact it's now too dark to exercise!" What nonsense!!! I have weights, exercise DVD's and a long corridor in my house that I can run sprints at any time of the day or night!! See back into old thinking and old behaviours before you know it! </p> <p>This translates into poor food choices, actually through restriction, although that is unintentional. I tend to forget to eat for long, long periods until my body gets jack of it and reminds me (usually by feeling headachy or dizzy weak) that I haven't eaten. And of course, I then struggle to choke down a few bites of anything. Mostly it's something light because again, I am usually on the run, like a corn cake or a few nuts. When I get really into the "Too Busy for Me" stuff, I find that the only time I eat all day is at dinner, and due to the restriction my little tummy rebels at putting anything down there, so I might be lucky to eat 1/4 cup of food.</p> <p> </p> <p>So the reason I am posting this incredibly long (but I hope not incredibly boring) post, is to one, invite you to think about falling back into old habits that aren't necessarily food specific but "food adjacent" behaviours that contributed to your health issues pre-sleeve and if you would like to, post a response with your own experiences or maladaptive thinking patterns in relation to your own health.</p> <p> </p> <p>Cheers, Liss</p>

Hi Liss - I think this is what having the sleeve has done for a lot of us - it has brought clarity to all the issues surrounding our relationship, reactions to food and our reasons for over eating and neglecting ourselves. What I have discovered about myself (and I have already posted this on another thread) is that I am 1/ I am a secret eater 2/ I am a comfort eater 3/ I seek protection through food ( a protection eater?) The secret eater - I don't know how many chip bags and chocolate bars wrappers I buried deep in the garbage In the past - I am learning to let it go and eat it in the open now - no such thing as "bad food" if you are meeting your nutritional needs first - remember this "real men do eat quiche and skinny people do eat desert! The comfort eater - I always reach for food if I am upset or stressed , the difference now is that I can no longer eat enough to get that nice warm cosy full feeling! You get the yucky sick feeling and possibly the actual sick! I have learned to stop, think, feel and take deep breaths, have a nice warm drink of tea and be kind to myself! The protective eater - this is the most worrying for me. Now that I am at goal (131lbs - 59kg) I have this feeling of vulnerability. I am now realising I ate to put a protective coating around myself i.e. a coating of fat! This appears to have been to protect myself but I am just not sure what from specifically. I am aware of this so this is a work in progress. I too slip into old bad habits but the saving grace is that I just can't eat enough of anything to do too much damage. I think it is natural to do this after time passes and like you said, being aware of it is half the battle. I think the good thing now is that once you notice where you have gone wrong it is much easier to reign it in. our bodies are working so much more efficiently now that it reacts and does it's job now. In the past my body didn't know if it was Arthur or Martha and just held onto to every extra calorie I fed it! Now to completely change the subject and I will pre-text this by saying that I am very happily married.... but I got hit on after my husbands Christmas party on Friday night! OK ...it was in the early hours, the guy was drunk, married and about 15 years younger than me... but hey I haven't been propositioned in 22 years! I might add no encouragement on my part..mmmmm...maybe this my 'protection eating' reason!

Edited by sueoco

I know what you mean, Lissa. I think being aware is the first step. I think women are really pressured to be helpful!

So I have arrived home and without the comfort of iv fluids and and a hospital bed I feel a little lost. I have this lump in my throat that seems to be there all the times at varying degrees. I haven't felt hunger since the op so I can't define full either...I have a few sips or tablespoons of liquids but am finding it difficult to determine what my body is trying to tell me? I'm not sure what feels good or what doesn't.. What's right or what isn't...I'm hoping some of the veterans or anyone really can offer some tops or advice on how to learn again what my body is trying to tell me???

Hi Spudsy - Sounds very text book. Your stomach will be very swollen so swallowing small amounts of liquid will feel strange. I remember feeling like there was a lump at the top of stomach - not quite in my throat but in my sternum. I didn't feel hunger at all for the first 5-6 months and in the early days I had to force myself to drink the Protein shakes and Water. The feelings will change as each day goes by and the swelling goes down and you heel. It is a big learning curve learning what your body is trying to tell you as the full feeling that you used to know has now changed - also foods you used to like may taste different - just don't push it. Take a few sips, leave it for 10 minutes and then take a couple more - just baby steps. I think it is 6 weeks until your stomach has heeled. Good luck and keep talking to us on here - we have all been through it.

Spudsy be patient with yourself! Sip liquids every 15 minutes. It is a full time job for you right now. When you're not sipping? Be walking or resting. That's all you need to do!

Your throat is probably sore from the breathing tube used during your surgery. It will ease up soon.

Hi all,

So I'm five days post op and I'm on struggle street at the moment. The bottom left quadrant I my stomach hurts all the time but especially when I move. I'm finding it difficult to get in a litre of fluids a day, everything smells, looks and taste just horrible. I feel weak and dizzy. My tummy is very bloated especially at the top. My bowels are playing up like there's no tomorrow and that is also painful and of course the standard gas pain. I feel I should be better than this by now? Did anyone else experience this? I'm really regretting this already and that's not a good sign! Sorry for the rant.

Hi everyone!

I haven't been around much lately, but wanted to pop in and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas! I hope u all have a great time!

I am nearly 5 months out now and have lost 28.9 kg. I still have a long way to go, but am getting there slowly.

Some days r tough and I struggle with head hunger a lot but I am nearly half way to goal. Could not b happier with my decision to have the sleeve.

Welcome to all the newly sleeved people and good luck in your journeys.

Helen

Hi all,<br> So I'm five days post op and I'm on struggle street at the moment. The bottom left quadrant I my stomach hurts all the time but especially when I move. I'm finding it difficult to get in a litre of fluids a day, everything smells, looks and taste just horrible. I feel weak and dizzy. My tummy is very bloated especially at the top. My bowels are playing up like there's no tomorrow and that is also painful and of course the standard gas pain. I feel I should be better than this by now? Did anyone else experience this? I'm really regretting this already and that's not a good sign! Sorry for the rant.

Remember u r only 5 days out. It will get better and easier. I too had pain on my left side for a couple of weeks (I think from memory). Keep sipping all day. It really is a job to get those liquids in early on. You tummy is still very swollen - this is why u r feeling bloated. Early on I had issues with my bowel too, but they r good now. Trust me when I say is does get so much easier. I can drink normally now and if it wasn't for small portion sizes I would not even think I had had surgery. Good luck, but above all be kind to yourself. U have just had major surgery and it will take some time to feel "normal" again!

Hi all,<br> So I'm five days post op and I'm on struggle street at the moment. The bottom left quadrant I my stomach hurts all the time but especially when I move. I'm finding it difficult to get in a litre of fluids a day, everything smells, looks and taste just horrible. I feel weak and dizzy. My tummy is very bloated especially at the top. My bowels are playing up like there's no tomorrow and that is also painful and of course the standard gas pain. I feel I should be better than this by now? Did anyone else experience this? I'm really regretting this already and that's not a good sign! Sorry for the rant.

Hi Ditdee - if your pain is excessive please talk to your surgeon - better safe than sorry - I don't want to scare you but think it would be a good idea to get some reassurance from him/her anyway. I was prescribed some pretty heavy duty pain killers when I left hospital but didn't need them but they must have thought it was a possibility I may need them so the pain is probably totally normal. I remember it was really hard to get the Protein Shakes down and all the Water I had to drink - I was basically drinking all day - either a Protein Shake or water - just sipping sipping all the time. I know it is difficult but you will actually feel sicker if you don't do it - my Grandad used to call it 'sick hungry' - you feel unwell because your body is crying out for fuel. Please try not to get down to it. You notice an improvement everyday as you heel. There are plenty of people to share with - we have all had different experiences so between us all we should have it covered. All the best and keep posting so we know how you are going :-)

Hi Kelli - sounds like the job is amazing although, there are little traps you will have to work out :) I guess my reflection on your post was that, wow, isn't it great that you're aware now of managing the weight and are dealing with a small weight gain of 2kg instead of just letting it go and go until voila, you have a "problem" again. I think that is the amazing thing about your post - acknowledging the pitfalls and looking for solutions. I think having a chat to other's on the veteran forum is a good idea - but even just doing an analysis of how the situation has developed (as you've done with buffet/ banquet type situations) and putting plans in place to manage that. Everyone has a "fix" to manage their weight - bariatric and non-bariatric people :) . What I think is great is how you're addressing it now to make a minor adjustment before you have to really hit the panic stations. It might even resolve itself by simply being more conscious that this is a trap for you - it is amazing how much you can adjust your behaviour by simply being aware and making better choices consistently than making amazing efforts over short periods (i.e. dieting lol). You're so close to goal, you must be able to "taste" it - sorry probably a bad pun :) Anyway Kelli, I think you're doing brilliantly and thank you for sharing your struggles! I know, as a sleever who's out a little over a year, that these are the things that are going to be problematic for me at some point too :) Cheers, Liss

Thanks Lissa for your wise words of wisdom which I greatly respect, especially given your profession. I have had a brief look at the veterans threads and will spend more time there reading. Lots of people find 5:2 works for them at this stage and I have as well, so need to get back onto that regime as suggested by the dietician. Yes the job is fantastic but I am surrounded by amazing food and alcohol and am put into tempting situations every single day. I do agree it's got to be a conscious effort to resist. I may also eat or drink before going to some of these events so I am not hungry to start with. I just have to be strong and keep my eye on the prize. So close and yet so far!!!

Hi all, So I'm five days post op and I'm on struggle street at the moment. The bottom left quadrant I my stomach hurts all the time but especially when I move. I'm finding it difficult to get in a litre of fluids a day, everything smells, looks and taste just horrible. I feel weak and dizzy. My tummy is very bloated especially at the top. My bowels are playing up like there's no tomorrow and that is also painful and of course the standard gas pain. I feel I should be better than this by now? Did anyone else experience this? I'm really regretting this already and that's not a good sign! Sorry for the rant.

Ditdee some of your symptoms are probable quite normal , but if you are concerned about possible infection, maybe you should go back and see your doctor. I am sure you will be fighting fit in no time and loving your sleeve. In the meanwhile, try and relax if possible. Don't stress if you cannot drink a litre of Fluid yet. Your tummy is still swollen. The important thing is to sip often. I found cold Water easier to get down too in the early days and you can also flavour it to make it more palatable. Good luck and I am sure you will be fighting fit in no time.