Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Anyone heard how Lila is going?

I am not scared at all to go into surgery. I wasn't with the band and I'm not with this. The way I see it, if I die on the table I won't know, and if I don't get my weight and susequent health issues under control, I'm going to be on the coroners table much sooner than necessary.

I wish I'd known about the sleeve at the time I went looking for help. I initially went in wanting a RNY, because my best friend had such great success with it (albeit with some major and ongoing complications.....she had hers done in 2004/5? and is still having recurrent issues with hair loss in cycles, chronically low in one nutrient or another and still has such hellish issues with dumping that I'm glad they talked me out of the RNY), but I just wish I'd known about the sleeve option.

My surgeon said the whole sleeve-on-it's-own came about actually in WA where I lived at the time because so many people getting DS lived remotely. I don't know if that's exactly right, but dang, why didn't MY GP know about the sleeve and offer me that option, instead of talking me into this stupid god awful band? I loved it until I started getting fills and then it just went to hell in a handbag from there. I hate this thing and have hated it for almost 4 years and I can't wait to get it out......although I want it as a souvenir! I figure people with gall stones get to keep their stones in a little jar to show all and sundry....why shouldn't I have Agnetha (my band) for the same? God knows she cost me a fortune and hasn't been worth a dime of it! I just want to keep it in a jar on my bedside table, as a reminder of sorts.

The more I read and watch vlogs about the sleeve the more I feel I will be able to make it work and not need the DS portion.....but I like knowing that the DS is there, IF I need it. My surgeon is one of the last in Australia doing it, and the only one I know of in Victoria, so count my lucky stars I guess.

Cheers!

I had the band in for 4 yrs my dr has just started doing the sleeve my partner and dr both want me to have the band again I say no way so I am booked in for sleeve I got my way lol I too wish I had known about the sleeve 4 yrs ago when I got band I did lose alot of weight with the band 119kg to be precise but i then lost my dad fell pregnant had her and during labour had a slippage from then on it was hell after losing dad i started to not care had all fill taken out then the slippage i put up with it for nearly 2 yrs and ended up putting back on 70kg of what I lost I can now say since band removal I have lost 15kg again I cant wait for the sleeve in April when my health fund is up

Hello all!

Im sorry for not logging on for a few days. had a little depression session a few days ago and was feeling pretty low. But the good news is that I think it was just a little monthly friend making me upset (sorry for the over-share!). I'm feeling much better now and the compliments I'm getting on my loose clothes are a real moral booster!

Congrats to all of you guys going so well! Shell, you look fantastic! And it's so great to see the clothes sizes coming down and everyone's confidence going way up!

Welcome to all the newbies - you've stumbled upon a fantastic group of people who really help when you're down and are always up for advice and support!

I'm on day two of puréed and not too sure how it's going. I blitzed up a beautiful tender casserole and some very mushy mashed potatoe and it's going down really well - no pain or reflux or anything! The only thing is that I'm only handling about a quarter of a cup at the moment. I was told it would be between half and one cup but I can only handle about 4 teaspoons! Is this too little? It means I'm going to have to have two Protein shakes to hit my daily Protein target. Bleh! I feel like all I'm doing is eating or drinking all day! Which before would have been standard but now it's a real effort to make sure I'm eating!

Sorry for the long post! I'll keep logging on more often now!

And just a quick thank you for all of the kind words and support, you guys really helped me through a tough patch and I'm so thankful to have this support system :)

Xo

You're doing great. It'll take time to build up your intake again. Just take it easy. I too could only manage very little at a time. Some days I can eat more than others. It'll be trial and error for a while.

Hi there sleevers,

I have my appointment and after my information night last night I have decided to changed surgeons to the one I saw yesterday. Believe it or not he hasn't done near as many as Dr. Taylor, but he really advocated the sleeve and pretty much said the band was crap and he hates doing them. I love his honesty and the fact that he didn't just use old stats from years ago and went out and researched it on his own!

What really clinched it for me was the fact that he has been sleeved himself!!!!!! He suffered from obeisity and wants to change peoples lives the way he changed it by having the sleeve. I think I'm in love!

So my booking appointment is on 16th October 2012 and then I get a date which will be early next year.

I'm for the first time not so scared but getting a little excited!

hi susie, what date did you get sleeved? Ive been feeling very much the same as you.... was down & depressed for about a week or so, now feeling better from that but wonder if im getting enough nutrients in. Most days Im so tired & sometimes feel like Im lightheaded & a bit dizzy. I cant drink 500ml Water in a day but do try to keep fluids up with s/f iceblocks. Just want to have all this energy everyone talks about :/

My surgeon said the same thing, he's doing more sleeves than bands.

Sleeves are the new black :)

hi susie' date=' what date did you get sleeved? Ive been feeling very much the same as you.... was down & depressed for about a week or so, now feeling better from that but wonder if im getting enough nutrients in. Most days Im so tired & sometimes feel like Im lightheaded & a bit dizzy. I cant drink 500ml Water in a day but do try to keep fluids up with s/f iceblocks. Just want to have all this energy everyone talks about :/[/quote']

Oh that's no good that you've been feeling down :( I had a couple of days of the blues but after being surrounded by all the fam eating all my old favorites I started feeling better because I didn't want any! And it didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

I was sleeves on the 5th sept. so I'm only two weeks out today. I can already see the weight coming off which feels fantastic! I don't ever weigh myself but I take measurements do I can still gauge my progress.

I've been a bit tired so I've been trying really hard to get the right stuff into my body! I will sip Water through the day and can hit a litre by the time I get to bed. I've been doing the Protein shake most mornings or at night blended with berries and a smidge of low fat frozen yoghurt. I try to get in an up and go a few hours after breaky and then my lunch a few after that. This way I'm not racing to hit my calories and Protein when I get home and I can relax a bit. I've been getting an average of 600 calories a day and 48-51g protein.

I hope things pick up for you hun! it really makes you realize the good stuff you need to put in your body!

Hello all!

I'm on day two of puréed and not too sure how it's going. I blitzed up a beautiful tender casserole and some very mushy mashed potatoe and it's going down really well - no pain or reflux or anything! The only thing is that I'm only handling about a quarter of a cup at the moment. I was told it would be between half and one cup but I can only handle about 4 teaspoons! Is this too little? It means I'm going to have to have two Protein shakes to hit my daily Protein target. Bleh! I feel like all I'm doing is eating or drinking all day! Which before would have been standard but now it's a real effort to make sure I'm eating!

Hi Im also day 2 puree.I mashed advocado and bake Beans it was yummy but like u maybe 4 teaspoons.I also did corn beef in the slow cooker and pureed with pumpkin peas and potatoes taste the same but cannot eat too much or that full felling comes over me uck.

I sent Lilia a PM but havent heard from her.

Susie and Nessa

I think having a down period at that time is totally normal also I think your intake is pretty normal. I was told 1/3 of a cup of food and it should take 20-30 mins to eat that. My dietician said if you feel full then leave it for a while and come back to it. I too lacked a bit of energy and felt quite unwell but I figured out that I wasn't eatin often enough. My surgeon told me not to get in the habit of snacking but because you can't get much in, I think you so need to eat morning and afternoon tea - at least initially until you can get more in over time. Now 9 weeks out it is slowly getting easier to eat a bit more so I think it just takes time to get used to the new way of eating and for your system to get used to it .

Welcome to all the new people - there seems to have been a rush on this thread latley! I too am happy that i went straight to the sleeve. I intially went to have a consultation about a band but when my surgeon explained the sleeve it just seemed to be the low maintence option (although it did sound a bit drastic). Anyway, really pleased that i had the sleeve.

I have found a stange thing and wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I find liquids easier to swallow if I hold the liquid in my mouth and move it around a bit (like chewing food) before swallowing. I don't know why this would be the case but maybe it actually sends a message to my asophagus and stomach that something is coming down!! Am I sounding completely nuts???

So time for a progress report - started this journey at 102 kg, lost about 3 kg before seeing the surgeon so weighed in at 99 kg, lost about 8-9 kg on pre-op diet and I got on the scales today and I weighed in at 77.4 - I am wrapped. I also fitted into size 14 Target jeans today so that is so exciting. I can't remember when I was last a 14 - it would be about 20 years ago!

On the down side, my nails are breaking and I am dreading the 3 month hair loss that everyone talks about. I am taking my Calcium citrate and silica with Biotin but I think it only helps and doesn't prevent. I will keep you all posted on how that stage goes!

Susie and Nessa

I think having a down period at that time is totally normal also I think your intake is pretty normal. I was told 1/3 of a cup of food and it should take 20-30 mins to eat that. My dietician said if you feel full then leave it for a while and come back to it. I too lacked a bit of energy and felt quite unwell but I figured out that I wasn't eatin often enough. My surgeon told me not to get in the habit of snacking but because you can't get much in' date=' I think you so need to eat morning and afternoon tea - at least initially until you can get more in over time. Now 9 weeks out it is slowly getting easier to eat a bit more so I think it just takes time to get used to the new way of eating and for your system to get used to it .

Welcome to all the new people - there seems to have been a rush on this thread latley! I too am happy that i went straight to the sleeve. I intially went to have a consultation about a band but when my surgeon explained the sleeve it just seemed to be the low maintence option (although it did sound a bit drastic). Anyway, really pleased that i had the sleeve.

I have found a stange thing and wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I find liquids easier to swallow if I hold the liquid in my mouth and move it around a bit (like chewing food) before swallowing. I don't know why this would be the case but maybe it actually sends a message to my asophagus and stomach that something is coming down!! Am I sounding completely nuts???

So time for a progress report - started this journey at 102 kg, lost about 3 kg before seeing the surgeon so weighed in at 99 kg, lost about 8-9 kg on pre-op diet and I got on the scales today and I weighed in at 77.4 - I am wrapped. I also fitted into size 14 Target jeans today so that is so exciting. I can't remember when I was last a 14 - it would be about 20 years ago!

On the down side, my nails are breaking and I am dreading the 3 month hair loss that everyone talks about. I am taking my calcium citrate and silica with Biotin but I think it only helps and doesn't prevent. I will keep you all posted on how that stage goes![/quote']

Wow that's a awesome weigh loss, congrats. You must feel awesome. How much more weight are you hoping to lose?

And that doesn't sound weird about holding liquid in your mouth. But I have starting to notice I can drink lots more now without keeping it in my mouth. I can now drink big gulps.

I have some questions if possible.

Firstly what Vitamins are everyone taking. I am only taking a multi Vitamin. What else should I take?

I do have a dietitian appointment tomorrow I am going to ask her.

Second question is a little gross but for the sleevers that have no fall bladder. You find your bowel movements really loose all the time? I haven't had a normal one yet and I am 8 weeks post op. (I will be asking my dietitian about that too)

Thirdly is there anyone on the site that has 60+ kgs to lose? I have about 75kgs to lose. 25kgs already gone, 50kgs to go. I am just really worried about excess skin. And would love someone else to bounce off.

Thanks everyone.

I have some questions if possible.

Firstly what Vitamins are everyone taking. I am only taking a multi Vitamin. What else should I take?

I do have a dietitian appointment tomorrow I am going to ask her.

Second question is a little gross but for the sleevers that have no fall bladder. You find your bowel movements really loose all the time? I haven't had a normal one yet and I am 8 weeks post op. (I will be asking my dietitian about that too)

Thirdly is there anyone on the site that has 60+ kgs to lose? I have about 75kgs to lose. 25kgs already gone' date=' 50kgs to go. I am just really worried about excess skin. And would love someone else to bounce off.

Thanks everyone.[/quote']

I don't know how much I weigh but I'm gestimating that I have at least 60 to lose. I know I will have problems with loose skin but I'd rather that than a life time of being fat! I also may look into surgery although I think I'm at least a year away from that!

Also I have had one "movement" since surgery two weeks ago. And would love to be able to go again but for now nothing's happening!

I take all swisse: women's multivite, wild krill oil, and liver detox (it has turmeric which is great for liver- a lot of people make their own turmeric tablets).

I'm going to get a Calcium supplement and probiotic too this weekend as I am having some trouble with bowel and myfitnesspal says I'm not getting enough calcium.

I would say I have another 50-60 kgs to lose (I don't have a goal yet as I don't know what is "normal" for me) but I'm already getting some saggy skin around my midrif and arms...