Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am starting my liquid diet tomorrow and surgery is Friday. I have never like vegetables my entire life... honestly the only one I can eat is potatoes if you would even count them. I hate lettuce, salads, tomatoes, carrots.... you name it, if it's a veggie I won't go near it. I even hate mushrooms and pickles. Honestly it disgusts me when I think about my eating habbits.

my question for all of you is how did your taste buds changes after surgery? I'm praying that

after surgery I'll lose my sweet tooth and replace it with love for "healthy foods!!!" Thanks for any input on this matter :)

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out. I have always liked almost ALL foods. i guess that's how I got obese in the first place. My taste have drastically changed. I was a huge sweet eater. I haven't had a thing sweet. I'm not even tempted. They had frsh, hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts at my job and I acted like they weren't even there! I didn't eat bananas before surgery but now, they are fine. I wouldn't say I eat "healthy foods" but I do focus on eating Protein more because I can't stand the Protein Shakes. By the time I eat my meat for protein, i am usually too full for veggies. But I do check the labels and look for callories, carbs and such.

the taste for sugar changed for me..mainly cause I cut it out of my diet. Sweet things turn me off now...which is actually a great thing

I wouldnt worry about veggies for a while.Im six weeksout and am not allowed to eat veggies yet.My surgeon said that is usally the last thing added to what you can eat.He just gaveme the ok for meats, so long as they are very tender

Don't worry - veggies won't be front and center in your post-op life anyway. I honestly had a hard time eating raw or rough veggies until I was about 5 months out. Even then, salads would still sometimes be uncomfortable. You really focus on Protein in your post-op eating life.

In a funny way, because I have to focus on Protein, I like veggies and fruits much more now than I ever have in my life. I like trying any strange or exotic ones I can find at the market - stuff I never would have tried in my previous life. Veggies have become (believe it or not) a treat because I don't always have room for them in my sleeve or in my diet.

I didn't have a huge sweet tooth before surgery, but ice cream was a weakness for sure. I can honestly say that I don't miss it. I even sometimes have a little bite of my husbands, and it doesn't "do" much for me anymore. Your results may vary, of course ;) but for me I'd say my sweet tooth was lessened. Not sure if that is the result of the sleeve or just the overall lifestyle change.

Also, I get plenty of sweet with my (almost) daily protein hot chocolates! If anything, I get sick of sweet stuff now and I crave savory more than ever before.

This surgery comes with a mandatory massive lifestyle overhaul... so don't worry. It's work, for sure, but you will definitely look at food differently after you are sleeved. Your relationship with food will change. Again, it requires work - and if you have any sort of emotional eating issues or binge eating problems, those need to be addressed with the help of a counselor- BUT once you get a few months into your new life with your sleeve, you'll look back with amazment how how different your relationship with food really is! At least, I know that I did!

Good luck! It's great that you are thinking about these things now.

eggs at? Thank u auto-correct! Should say "what"

eggs at? Thank u auto-correct! Should say "what"

Ah...auto correct. ;) So rarely correct.

I use the BariWise hot chocolate. WonderSlim makes one too that a lot of people love, but I haven't tried it yet. I love the bariwise so much, I feel no need to stray. I get them online - through diet direct. (http://www.dietdirect.com/bari-wise-health-hot-chocolate.html) I haven't ever seen them in a store. They are kinda pricey (over $1.50 a drink, unless on sale), but sooooooo worth it to have a Protein drink that I actually enjoy.

I know... My phone decides what it wants to type! Thanks a bunch for the info

I wouldn't worry about veggies for a while. I can only eat soft cooked ones right now at seven weeks out. Raw ones will take a little while longer.

And yes, your taste buds do change. Ironically I can no longer tolerate any sugar substitutes (e.g., Splenda, NutraSweet, etc). I know I don't tolerate fried foods very well both in taste and in digestion.

yeah I know it will be a while before I could even be allowed them, just hoping I'll be able to stand the taste of veggies after the sleeve.