Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope For Second Year Sleevers

Love it! I'm 3 mos out & sometimes during a stall I get discouraged, but you're so right.....patience. I also agree about the obsessing. It's so drilled into my mind to not eat carbs that if I eat a few I feel immense guilt...which I hate. My sleeve doesn't tolerate much variety, so for the most part I stick to the plan, but after years & years of being ashamed of what I'm eating I would like to put an end to the guilt. That is the hardest part for me...feeling like a failure or that I should suffer for what.I've eaten. Your post gives me hope that even if I'm not perfect, I can still succeed! Thank you!

Crosswind,

I've said it before and I will say it again... you make so much sense. You have clear words or wisdom and I for one am always eager to read your posts.

I feel that the sleeve is a life time commitment to health... not just a 'tool' to use to reach a number. However, this has only really dawned on me over the last 6mths or so. I haven't lost a pound since Oct and regardless of what I do or how I do it, my body does not want to comply. So now, well I am just eating a proper healthy diet and enjoying it. If I want a treat i will have one, but it doesn't leave me aching for more like it did pre op or 73lbs ago. Not sure why... I don't even care why.

In those same months, I haven't gained weight either... I do have a 5lb bounce range and I believe that is normal for any woman (or man). I also know that being on HRT isn't really helping the scale either.

That being said, I would love to lose more and get to my surgeon's goal (and out of the obese BMI range) weight and ultimately to my personal weight (and into the normal BMI range) but if it doesn't happen then I am not going down the route of I am a failure, because I am not!

Thank you for always being the voice of reason, normality and sense...

Excellent post. Thank you. That is exactly what I have been aiming to do with my new life. I wanted the sleeve as a means of tempering myself, not as a means to make me a freak and queen of dieting. Obviously, that is something I don't enjoy. So I am hoping to do as you have done. To still enjoy things, but in moderation.

Okay I'm going to ask since I can't tell by your post ( and I really want to agree). Male or female?

I totally agree!!! This is exactly my philosophy. I am 10 mo post op and have lost 75 lbs. The last 4 months I haven't lost anything, BUT I've been eating anything and I do mean anything I want. I have done no exercise at all.

This last week I decided I want to get the last 15 lbs off so I cut out my sugar and I lost 2 lbs this week. lol yeah!

I refuse to obsess over carbs or anything else for the rest of my life, I could have done that without surgery. I find when I do that I feel just like I did before surgery, you know that desperate, I've got to do it this time but I probably won't be able to feeling. I do weigh myself everyday just to keep everything in check.

I want to live like I use to before I gained weight and I think that we all can live a normal life with this wonderful gift we've given ourselves.

I do agree with this too. Otherwise, I tend to eat sleep and breath food thoughts BUT, at 22 mos out I do know that if you eat too much of slider foods. ( chips, carbs, etc) you WILL gain. I reached goal without hardly any effort at about 9 mos then stayed pretty much the same for another 6 mos or so gradually adding tooany snack foods and regained about 10-15 lbs. back down 5 And working on rest. Cutting carbs and Snacks. But I can tell you it DOESNT come off easily once regained! Your body says nope! ????

This is encouraging as I am nearing my Sleeve anniversary and I am down 115 lbs now (I think) and I would like to lose around 60+ more. I admit, at the beginning of this procedure I thought I would drop it instantly and a year out I would be at goal. It definitely takes patience.

I did join a gym to help things along, but by no means have become an exercise addict. I haven't stopped eating any particular types of food completely because I don't think that teaches me anything and I know from past dieting that if I restrict a certain food then I crave that food non-stop till I gorge myself on it.

Lately I have been a tad concerned that my tummy may have stretched as I seem to be able to get more in before the fullness begins, but I have vowed to eat slower to see if that helps.

One thing I do not do is get on the scale more than once a week (most of the time it's every other week) and I am not letting myself be obsessed with the numbers.

Things are going in the right direction for me. As long as that continues, then I am happy.

I don't want to be obsessed with food any more, so far I am not. I eat when I am hungry and I stop when I am full.

This was the best decision I have ever made. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

:). Hiya. I'm a female and I'm five nine.

I did gain a couple pounds over christmas, but I was basically just laying around and eating Cookies and drinking tons of wine for ten days. When I got back to work and into my regular routine the scale started moving again. It felt like it started moving faster because I was eating lesss sugar; the Water drained out and took a couple more pounds with it.

i do count calories though normally, though mostly out of curiosity. I eat seventeen, sometimes eighteen hundred most days. And I found it really easy once I was paying attention to work on Portion Control, like buying the 100 calorie Snacks and lean cuisine frozen stuff because most of those meals are under three hundred, which is what I can usually get in me in one sitting. I don't see those habits changing. I don't go out to eat very often and when my stomach is full I just don't want anything else.

I do have to be careful with Pirate's Booty though. I don't buy it anymore because it is pretty darn easy to eat a whole big bag of that :)

Thank you for sharing your experience, you have given me hope that I will to become a success story

Crosswind-

Thank you for sharing that you regularly eat 1700-1800 calories. I'm 5'10" and generally take in 1800 as well. I often, though, feel like a VSG freak of nature when I mention that on here as people discuss existing on 800-1000 calorie diets. If I don't hit at least 1500 I feel weak and horrible. So, thanks for validating my caloric needs. ;)

Amanda

Crosswind-

Thank you for sharing that you regularly eat 1700-1800 calories. I'm 5'10" and generally take in 1800 as well. I often' date=' though, feel like a VSG freak of nature when I mention that on here as people discuss existing on 800-1000 calorie diets. If I don't hit at least 1500 I feel weak and horrible. So, thanks for validating my caloric needs. ;)

Amanda[/quote']

I'm also in the high calorie range. 2000-2200 on average. If I tried to eat 1000, I would be ravenous and weak - just like before surgery. So I agree with Crosswind - unless you have exceptionally low metabolism, you don't need to majorly limit your calories to be successful.

5'9" 1200-1600 cals a day. I eat anything, not low carb, I do keep track of everything I eat though... just to stay conscious...I just got back from New Orleans where I ate french fries and beignets everyday (because I am a vegetarian, and they put meat in EVERYTHING) gained 3 pounds in 11 days. Lost it again in two after I got back. I wanted to get back to eating my regular way... I was tired of all the carbs without fresh veggies and Protein. Now theres a switch!

Hi, you all! I am SO glad to hear all of these taller and "bigger structured" sleevers are eating around 1500 calories, like me. I had surgery on May 24, 2012. I have lost 40 lbs, but I've been stuck at 230 for a month and a half. I am so frustrated, like the quentisentail staller. I have been doing more Zumba and C25k to try and speed things a long. This can't be all I lose!