Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"mexicans Kidnap Americans. There Is A War There"

??? this is news to me. why are people trying to scare me? :(

can someone shed light on this?

Where did you read this?

I should have been more clear.

I told a friend.. I swore I wasn't, and then I did. This is what she said. I wasn't expecting that :(

She said "that's scary- I was hoping you were going on a cruise." and proceeded to try to talk me out of it. thing is- I dont want to just go because "I want this SO BAD," and jeopardize my safety. I have babies to take care of, etc. I have a surgery date and everything.

I'm just wondering how true her comment is.

I think in parts of Mexico it is true but I would research where you are going and learn more. We were considering a vacation in Mexico and got the same reaction from people. We didn't end up doing it, but not for that reason. Where we were considering going was far from the drug wars and dangerous area and was supposed to be very safe.

I would have said to your friend, "Thank you for your concern. I have researched the risks of travel to Mexico and they are extremely low for the travel I am considering. I'm sure all will be fine."

thank you, friends. I said something along those lines. I'm not going to the ghetto. I'll research more about mexicali etc.

anyone already done this research and want to point me in the right direction, I'd love that! I am about researched out. I've done nothing all day and nearly half the nights the past few days but research. i need to sleep 3 days. lol

Gosh from everything I've read on this forum, there is nothing to be concerned regarding safety.

I do think you need to investigate and ask questions of those who chose surgery in Mexico. I won't be going because my insurance pays for surgery----but hundreds of people go there all the time. Be safe and investigate!

I went to Mexicali for my surgery. Ernesto, Dr. Aceves' driver, picked me up at the San Diego Airport and drove me to Mexicali, drove me to the hotel, drove me to the hospital, drove me to the pharmacy, drove me back to the airport. The hospital is a stone's throw from the border, it's not like you are in the middle of nowhere, you're in a city and you're not going to be walking around alone, nor does the car have a sign that says "Rich gringos inside."

You will be fine, you will not be kidnapped. Research will not help counter any of the prejudices that your well-meaning friends have. I will say, that of the hundreds of people who post on this forum and others, no one, NO ONE, has reported any attempted kidnapping..

ROFL "rich gringos inside."

hahahahaha I'm going. I'm not concerned.. actually my research pulled up a lot of "safest cities" kinda things, and looking at the videos I've seen of hte drive and the hospital and hotel etc, i am not worried at all.

I have too much to gain.

Actually this is a very true statement. There is a huge drug war going on at present and Americans are kidnapped and killed quite often. Just watch the news to verify this for yourself. That being said I think the areas where most people are going to have surgery are relatively safe as the numbers of safe travelers on this forum represent. The risk of anything happening is probably extremely low but I do think that you should be aware of the very real situation going on down there. I have confidence that the Dr's scheduling patients for surgery there have considered all of these things and have probably taken extraordinary care to ensure the safety of their clients. I do think that this forum should accurately represent the fact that there actually is a risk to Mexican travel right now however low it may be.

People are kidnapped and killed in America. Medical Tourism is how many of these doctors, nurses and hospitals thrive. They need word if mouth and they need it to be positive word of mouth or they are out of business. Positive and safe experiences are something they work hard to provide us "rich gringos" (lol).

As with any place new that you travel to, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Heck, I don't like to walk anywhere by myself in my city after dark... so obviously I wouldn't do that in some unknown country.

I am headed to Tijuana, Mexico for my surgery in a few days and of course my family was more concerned with the location of my surgery. That is until I educated them. Ignorance is NOT bliss!

Its funny how people can be so nieve....I can gaurantee you if you "actually" watched the local news in ANY town across america you will find the same kind of crap being shown. Kidnappings, killings, shots fired, the list goes on and on and on.....tell your friend to grow up and get a life. There are parts of Mexico that are bad, granted, I get that but so is EVERY city in the US.

I was just in Mexico 7 days ago for my sleeve, with my wife and low and behold here I am typing in beautiful Colorado and no I was held hostage and forced to come here by Mexican drug lords....my wife walked around every day to get something to eat and never felt the least bit threatened.

Actually this is a very true statement. There is a huge drug war going on at present and Americans are kidnapped and killed quite often. Just watch the news to verify this for yourself. That being said I think the areas where most people are going to have surgery are relatively safe as the numbers of safe travelers on this forum represent. The risk of anything happening is probably extremely low but I do think that you should be aware of the very real situation going on down there. I have confidence that the Dr's scheduling patients for surgery there have considered all of these things and have probably taken extraordinary care to ensure the safety of their clients. I do think that this forum should accurately represent the fact that there actually is a risk to Mexican travel right now however low it may be.

There is as much violent crime or more in most major U.S. cities than in Tijuana. The media reports what sells. Is there crime in Mexico, sure there is but I have never felt uneasy there. If you are in an area doing things you should not be doing, it can be dangerous, just like Dallas or any other city. If you want dangerous, watch your local news with all the home invasions, car-jackings, drug violence and other murders.

Theres no difference between what goes on in the US or Mexico. If you live close to mexico you hear more of whats going on but for someone from the east coast or the northern parts of america you would never hear anything. Theres so much stuff going on in our own country that the media refuses to reveal so they try and blast mexico to help relax the US citizens. In mobile, AL theres murders everyday that go unreported and its over drugs too. The only difference is we dont behead our people over here. Beheading for them is a custom from the Aztecs.