Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I've Began To Mourn Food :(

While I do laugh at the thought of it...it is an eye opener to see how I lived to eat...and yes this breakup is hard...my baggy clothes tells me it was for the best! #trueSTORY

Me too! Love Drive-ins, Diners & Dives. The chef with the spikes blonde hair. Having surgery on Tuesday---am a Cajun. And you know Cajuns love their food!

Thanks Anewlife4me. Now I want cornbread;)

I cried in the hospital because I realized I m not going to eat as many brownies as I want anymore in 5 minutes. Or my favorite sugar Cookies, at Christmas. I know i can eat a half here and there but food is my best friend. Has been for a long time. Half isn't going to feel all cozy inside. Eating one then knowing there r 4 more waiting for me if i want to was very comforting. It is so hard. So hearing stories from other post is awesome. Now if u will excuse me I need to go suck down the rest of my Protein Drink so my hair won't fall out :)

I think mourning food is a process a lot of us who have had the surgery go through so atleast you know you're not on your own. I too feel that way many times but then i see the results of my surgery and feel amazing when i look at myself in the mirror and it's all worth it.

We've been given the tools to think and eat like thin health concious people instead of giving in to our food demons which overtime made us have the surgery in the first place.

Overtime you will be able to eat a little more and it will be normalish so hang in there. This journey is definitely worth the small bumps along the way.

This thread is me I feel the same read all my cookbooks and spend all my time on the cooking shows lol

RIP to my food addiction I will miss you now but not forever I hope

Thank goodness I came across this topic! Wow thank's to everyone for their input it made me feel so much better about my feelings after surgery (04/25/12) . Great stuff and now I have some motivation to go enjoy my Protein Shake while watching the food channel....lol!

Omg this is great to read I am not the only one going threw a emotional time, never thought of it as a break up with food .makes sense. Last night almost had a break down the hubby wanted some mexican food from our favorite place it was so hard. Went and jumped on scale it reminded me why I did this .Good luck all nice to know I am not alone.

Thanks for posting. The emotional component of this journey is so serious that I wasn't prepared for these emotional bouts I've been having myself. I cook for my family and it is pure torture being on liquids only. I can't wait to start mushies so I can at least have a plate at dinner. Sometimes I just walk away from the table b/c I'm so frustrated. Reading the posts makes me feel semi normal again so (one more time) Thanks for posting. :-)

It is so great to know that most everyone has these same thoughts after surgery. I have wanted to eat ever since surgery and I read that most people don't have any desire for food from anywhere from 3 weeks to months after surgery.For me that has not been the case. Tuesday will be 3 weeks and I can start on soft/puréed foods . It can't get here soon enough. It helps to know that your not alone in your thoughts and that things will get normal .

I promise this will pass and you will be able to drink quickly again. I literally chugged a 20 ounce G2 Gatorade this morning after my run- drinking half in the first gulp. Most of us didn't get here because we were ambivalent about food. Therefore it's completely natural to mourn this change in your relationship. In time, you'll be able to enjoy sweets, more than 3 bites of Soup, and even a buffet line but in a manner that is much more healthy and normal. You'll be able to experience these things with pleasure rather than guilt. I'm there and it's a wonderful place to be. Give yourself time. :)

I feel the same way. I was sleeved 4/10 lost 22lbs. Today was my sons birthday and I can't have soda , can't have hamburger party, can't have cake, can't have dip. I sipped Water and ate 4-5 bites of hamburger meet. Everyone was complimenting of this or that food...well could get in those conversations because I don't know. I had many compliments on my weight and how smaller I look. BUT I miss food, and not loads but just eat a half plate! Why?! Did I do this to myself? Was it to have people compliment me or to eat portional and be happy about it? To be healthy? Seemed like neither is the right answer. Help me understand?!?!?!

post-59432-13813669455086_thumb.jpg

This is my hubby and best friend tonight (Mayweather vs Cotto fight party) and I'm 4 days post op. I'm not hungry BUT my head was like YOU CAN EAT THAT pizza, GET A SLICE. Of course I didn't but I know one day, in moderation, I'll be able to enjoy it again. YES, my hubby downed the entire box!! I'm just praying for discipline. Enjoy the fact that you are able to eat your favorite right now, may not be as much as you liked but it satisfies the craving. Best wishes to you!

Sent from my iPad using VST

post-19418-13813658733049_thumb.jpg

You must have discipline of steel! I am 11 days postop, and there is no way I could sit that close to a pizza and not do something with it.....lol.

You must have discipline of steel! I am 11 days postop' date=' and there is no way I could sit that close to a pizza and not do something with it.....lol.[/quote']

Lol, I'm praying for it!! I do realize i can't punish them....I made the decision to do this. Besides, even if I TRIED to bite the food, they wouldn't let me anywhere near it!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am 3 months out from surgery. I do think of food. I also had no issues healing and my sleeve tolerates most anything. I do feel uncomfortable when full and I do stop myself but the emotional toll it takes has just recently been on my radar. Up until this time, I could not eat as much, now I can consume more.I am healed for the most part. Maybe not enough to worry at this stage but if I did eat Cookies and so called slider foods, it could become a big issue.

Today I went to a bbq and gave into some macaroni salad, something I stay away from(pasta). It was scary to me because it did not make me feel really full or anything.

Embrace that feeling of not being able to eat. I really understand what everyone is saying, I felt that way but after today I have a new found respect for that ovbious restriction we call mourning, because when it goes away then it is up to you and not a signal, that you shouldn't eat that.

Also, it is not the healthy Protein things that don't signal you, it is the cookies, fattening chips, slider foods that are easier to comsume. Beware.

What I really learned today is there is an amount of time you condition yourself to adjust, not "wait till I can comsume more like a regular person" because when it is here it is far to easy to mess up on the foods that made us obese.

I can eat 2-3 oz of chx and feel way full but give me a big bag of chips and I just want more. Hope I am making sense. Please don't take this as me trying to be negitive, just a little scared straight today.

Be careful what you wish for....