Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sigh..i Really Miss Using A Straw!

Does anyone use a straw? I used to use a straw for every drink I have ingested for the past 15 years. I was told not to use one and I haven't seen my surgery date on 4/3.

Sent from my DROIDX using VST

I tried using one this morning for the first time. I'm 5 weeks out. I knew I needed more Protein. I drank a Premiere shake, it took about an hour but I had no problems. I couldn't stand drinking it without a straw.

I use a straw. I'm 6 weeks post op. I had problems sipping and my friend who was sleeve told me to try the "forbidden" straw. It actually helped me get hydrated!!!!! I think they tell you not to use because of air in the straw and it will cause gas, also you may gulp down to much at a time. I took it very slow and had no problems.

It all depends on how you use a straw. The issue is getting a bunch of air in your stomach when you drink causing distress. Myself, I suck the air out of the straw before I begin to ingest the liquid. If you can do that, then use a straw.

I've been using a straw since day 3. My documentation says not to use them, but right below that it says "You can use them if they aren't causing you any problems."

There's a lot of mixed info on why they should be avoided. Some people think they make you take in more, faster. For me, that's the exact opposite of true. My nutritionist things they make you take in excessive air (because the straw is full of air before you suck a Fluid through it, she reasons that air makes its way into your stomach). Well, mostpeople inhale right before they drink so what's the difference? (and if you had an "air build-up" of some kind... just open your mouth...)

I hate drinking without straws.

Oh, I've also heard that straws make you burp more (I'm guessing this is in line with the air-filled straw idea), and VSGers can't burp out the extra gas so it will stretch the pouch. This makes zero sense. If solid food comes back up because it won't fit, then I'm pretty sure air will too. And I certainly can burp...

Oh..thank you all! I can suck all the air out of the air before I drink...I though it might be related to gas..but I didn't want to stretch the pouch...That makes me feel way better!!

i never stopped using them...never bothered me. The big fear was that it would produce air in the tummy...didn't for me

I started using a straw after 10 weeks. I work at sbux and I use the smaller straws and it makes no difference on my tummy.

So funny how it's the little things like straws and gulping water/drinks are my biggest worries. I too use a straw with everything I drink.... Stressful LoL

Not gulping is hard. :unsure: And go figure, it was the only behavioral change that really concerned me (most others I'd already changed through my band). Sometimes I forget and drink a few mouthfuls and then it's like - crap - I need to either spit this out, or portion it out into 10 swallows because if it goes down now I'm gonna be in trouble... I actually don't have that happen with straws. Proof that they're good for us. :)

I was never told anything about a straw at all.

LoL! I AGREE! STRAWS ARE GOOD FOR US! I don't get the excessive gas thing..I mean I do, but I can burp..and burp frequently and more so than before surgery ..so I don't understand that reasoning at all. If I am traveling, it's hard not to drink without a straw. And quite frankly, I think I am getting more air in without the straw. Go figure!

Really..I had not to use a straw all over my manuals ..I think they don't know ..not everyone is the same..maybe some people can't tolerate the straw first thing after surgery or something and can later...I am glad to know that others are using the straws and I will just have to try and see!