Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble With Eggs Post-Op?

My surgeon was surprised that eggs bothered me, as they are one of the first "actual" foods we are allowed. After 6 months I can now eat scrambled eggs, I just don't eat much of them.

I also have had issues with eggs. If I make egg salad and eat it very slow, putting my spoon down between bites, waiting... waiting... waiting and then eat a bit more, it seems ok. I tried scrambled just this Saturday - No go. I was so sick to my stomach I had to take some nausea medicine. I also have done the egg drop Soup and did not have any issues as long as I chewed the heck out of the egg pieces to make sure they were very tiny before going down. I don't think eggs are going to be high on my list of how to increase my Protein and like many of you, I used to love them!! tuna and salmon are now becoming more a norm for me. I don't have problems with either of them. Give your favorite fish a try if you have one and see how that settles in your tummy. I also tried some fruit this weekend. A mix of melons and chewed them to mush. That sat really well. It also increased my Fluid intake due to all the Water melons have. It also tasted really good for a change. I am just starting my 4th week out today and still on pureed foods. I have to tell you though, some of it ends up looking like dog food and I just can't get it past my eyes!! So I chew it to mush and then swallow making sure it is not dry before I do. Anyone else have this issue of the visual of this stuff?

FWIW, I was able to eat egg without any problem this weekend. It was the first time I've tried them. I'll be 6 weeks out on Tuesday.

Saturday morning we were travelling & the family wanted McD's. The only thing I ever eat there is the yogurt, but I just wasn't feeling it so I ordered an Egg McMuffin, tossed the bread, and ate half of the insides. They steam their eggs as they're fried (at least at the one we stopped at), so I didn't think it would be too bad. Went down very nicely.

Sunday morning I made omlettes and had half a 1-egg omlette with cheese. Couldn't eat more than about 1/2 (of my 1/2), but I didn't have any problems with it.

Thes crazy crazy eggs....i ate puree eggs for the last two weeks and loved them so much I could have had them every meal. today i ate what is essentally a scrambled egg...it was left over frittata from mothers day but it was baked scrambled eggs with a little cheest I had about 5 bites and got the worst pain in my chest and right where it goes into my stomach.. I did this about an hour ago and I still feel horrible. It hurts and just feels uncomfortable. I wonder if it makes a difference if they are hot or cold or scrambled or pureed.

I also tried some pureed pork the other day and that didnt sit well either... I dont know what else to eat. I am 4 weeks out and starting on soft food, . HELP

I finally tried eggs and do just fine with them. I've been eating them for Breakfast most morning. I find that cooking them in the microwave makes them moist & fluffy - perfect for my sleeve. It's easy to not chew an egg well enough, though - they tend to slide down a bit.

The soft foods I found the easiest were cottage cheese, deli chicken and Babybel light cheese. And sashimi. I can do 4oz of sashimi. I can't come close to 4oz of anything else.

Typical soft foods lunch for me is a light cheesestick (cut in half lengthwise) with a mixture of mayo & mustard on it, and a very thin slice of deli chicken wrapped around each half.

Soft foods are probably going to feel heavier than mushies. Chewed food and purees are different consistencies, and there's a lot more bulk per bite with a soft food. And some soft foods will probably be more uncomfortable than others, though this varies widely by person. I can't yet comfortably eat anything with a cream cheese base: spreads, dips, etc. -- baked, melted or otherwise. It just sits heavy and gives my me cue that I'm getting close to overdoing it.

Dang, I love eggs and y'all are scaring me. I'm not there yet but a soft scrambled egg was the very 1st "mushy" one of my friends ate. She said it was the best scrambled egg she'd ever eaten. one spoonful filled her up.

My husband is 8 months post op and I am 4 months out. We both loved eggs pre surgery. Now, do not like them at all. Not only do they not "sit" well but we just don't even like the thought of them.

Some things change and some things remain the same. lol

I'm so bummed because I've had eggs twice since I started puréed foods and both times I've been in pain after eating it! Makes me sad because it tasted so good.

I am 25 days post op and am on mushies. I can eat half of one scrambled egg and i don't feel terrible but feel I could be sick if I ate one more bite. I made tunafish yesterday with a boiled egg in it and I can't do the tuna. I loved my moms tunafish pre op and am bummed this good Protein doesn't sit well with me.

I am 25 days post op and am on mushies. I can eat half of one scrambled egg and i don't feel terrible but feel I could be sick if I ate one more bite. I made tunafish yesterday with a boiled egg in it and I can't do the tuna. I loved my moms tunafish pre op and am bummed this good Protein doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, tuna fish this early can be a little harsh on your stomach. Try it again maybe at 6 weeks.

At six weeks out, my taco meat with a little tiny bit of shredded lettuce and a teeny bit of finely chopped Tomato, with a little cheese and a little avocado, just about killed me...I have still not recovered. I had eaten the taco meat with refried Beans and cheese, but not with any veges...I don't know if I ate too much or what happened, but my stomach was actually sore...I had to revert back to liquids for a day...has anyone else experienced a sore stomach at 6 weeks out?

Well, hold the phone--I was on a cruise this week and they had boiled eggs available at Breakfast, so I thought, what the heck, I'll try one. The yolk was a NO-GO, but the boiled egg white was fantastic--perfect, comfortable, and just the right amount for me to enjoy.

So don't give up on eggs yet, y'all--maybe try it in a different form and maybe try just the egg white. That's the part with all the good Protein and none of the fat, so perhaps that's part of the issue. I enjoyed an egg white almost every day for a week with no ill effects at all.

At six weeks out, my taco meat with a little tiny bit of shredded lettuce and a teeny bit of finely chopped Tomato, with a little cheese and a little avocado, just about killed me...I have still not recovered. I had eaten the taco meat with refried Beans and cheese, but not with any veges...I don't know if I ate too much or what happened, but my stomach was actually sore...I had to revert back to liquids for a day...has anyone else experienced a sore stomach at 6 weeks out?

Kiki, I was one of the "lucky" ones with a horribly sensitive sleeve and was sick every day for the first 7 weeks or so post op. The experience you describe is your body saying "slow down," and you were wise to go back to liquids for a day and let it feel better. Maybe back off to a slightly earlier food stage for a while and try this combo again in a few weeks. There's really no rush, right? You're eventually going to be back to a "new normal," where you will be able to tolerate a lot of different sorts of foods. I think you're doing great for 6 weeks out!