Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Study Finds That Gastric Sleeve Helps Resolve Diabetes

Over and over, scientific studies consistently tell us that weight loss surgery helps reduce diabetes. Most recently, a study funded by the National Institutes of Health found the same thing. Researchers divided patients into different groups. All individuals in the study were obese and had uncontrolled type 2 diabetes. One group received no weight loss surgery, while the other groups had weight loss surgery.

The study lasted for a year. During this time, all of the study groups had medical counseling and treatment for diabetes. After one year, individuals who had weight loss surgery had better insulin control than the individuals without weight loss surgery. Also, their glycated hemoglobin, or A1c, went way down compared to the A1c of the group without surgery. Only 12 percent of the group without weight loss surgery had A1c of less than 6%, while about 40% of people with weight loss surgery were below that goal.

Study Link

Bariatric Surgery versus Intensive Medical Therapy in Obese Patients with Diabetes

BACKGROUND

Observational studies have shown improvement in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus after bariatric surgery.

METHODS

In this randomized, nonblinded, single-center trial, we evaluated the efficacy of intensive medical therapy alone versus medical therapy plus Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy in 150 obese patients with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes. The mean (±SD) age of the patients was 49±8 years, and 66% were women. The average glycated hemoglobin level was 9.2±1.5%. The primary end point was the proportion of patients with a glycated hemoglobin level of 6.0% or less 12 months after treatment.

RESULTS

Of the 150 patients, 93% completed 12 months of follow-up. The proportion of patients with the primary end point was 12% (5 of 41 patients) in the medical-therapy group versus 42% (21 of 50 patients) in the gastric-bypass group (P=0.002) and 37% (18 of 49 patients) in the sleeve-gastrectomy group (P=0.008). Glycemic control improved in all three groups, with a mean glycated hemoglobin level of 7.5±1.8% in the medical-therapy group, 6.4±0.9% in the gastric-bypass group (P<0.001), and 6.6±1.0% in the sleeve-gastrectomy group (P=0.003). Weight loss was greater in the gastric-bypass group and sleeve-gastrectomy group (−29.4±9.0 kg and −25.1±8.5 kg, respectively) than in the medical-therapy group (−5.4±8.0 kg) (P<0.001 for both comparisons). The use of drugs to lower glucose, lipid, and blood-pressure levels decreased significantly after both surgical procedures but increased in patients receiving medical therapy only. The index for homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) improved significantly after bariatric surgery. Four patients underwent reoperation. There were no deaths or life-threatening complications.

CONCLUSIONS

In obese patients with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes, 12 months of medical therapy plus bariatric surgery achieved glycemic control in significantly more patients than medical therapy alone. Further study will be necessary to assess the durability of these results.

That's pretty cool! One more reason to rock the sleeve!!!

Alex, you misread and mis-stated the data and results by reversing the results of Gastric Sleeve & Roux-En-Y. In fact, 42% of the roux-en-Y patients achieved A1c of less than 6.0 vs 37% for Gastric Sleeve. Hence, the title of this topic should be "Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Beats Gastric Sleeve For Controlling Type 2 Diabetes".

AzWis,

Thanks for pointing that out! I sent this one over to Alex, and completely mixed up the data. This one is entirely my fault. Thanks for catching it. I know Alex will correct it as soon as he can.

On the positive side, at least the sentiment is there - the sleeve was very successful.

Thanks again, and I'm glad this inspired you to read and post!

Natalie

Yes, Natalie, it is significant that the sleeve was very successful ... nearly as successful as the roux-en-Y ... which is further evidence that the sleeve is the best choice (for me) given all the relevant considerations, in my book!

And our regain stats beat up their regain stats all week long.

I'm really lucky. I had the sleeve a month ago and have not needed my diabetes pills since. If that is the only thing i ever get from this operation, I would be grateful. They were going to start me on insulin before I decided to get sleeved and diabetes has affected generations of my mom's family.

I'm really lucky. I had the sleeve a month ago and have not needed my diabetes pills since. If that is the only thing i ever get from this operation' date=' I would be grateful. They were going to start me on insulin before I decided to get sleeved and diabetes has affected generations of my mom's family.[/quote']

I got sleeved 2 weeks ago and guess what ???

No more insulin no more diabetes medication and no more BP meds my sugar EoD is 120-130 without any medication, I love my sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST