Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Finally Pick A Doctor-Kelly, Ponce De Leon, Almanza

My loan is 45% funded so far in just 5 days so I'm getting closer to make the big decision! I want the surgery done this month because June-Sept is my busy season at work and I can't get off and I don't want to wait til fall. My loan after fees is a little over $5700. Direct flight to and from Charlotte, NC is $509 which I can put on a credit card if needed. I'm getting my birth certificate and applying for a passcard this week. Money is also an important factor in my decision. I'm doing this alone and getting so much flack for going to Mexico. I've told everyone that it's not if I go, it's when and with what doctor.

My first choice is Kelly. I've read tons of positive things about him on 3 message boards. As of yesterday I was 304lbs (5'5") which with a bmi over 49 surgery is $500 more. I wouldn't want to book unless I lost those 10+lbs because $6K is out of my budget. His assistant Omar is really friendly. I like the idea of no drain, b/c I've had one before and they hurt coming out. His pre-op diet is 2 weeks.

My next choice is ponce de leon. I haven't read as many reviews, but all have been positive. His cost is a flat $5,500. Trish said it can be done at INT or Florence Hospital and if I choose INT I get a video of the procedure and the hotel is the same as Kelly.

Lastly, I'm considering Almanza. He has the highest count of surgeries, but the negatives are waiting to have surgery done with highest bmi, in a clinic instead of a hospital, and the loudness/crowding of the recovery house. Including the hotel, San Diego hotel, and flight in my calculations, it would be almost $5300 which is under budget. I've emailed back and forth with Linda and Larry called me yesterday. His pre-op diet is 10 days low carb, no sugar, high Protein, 5 days 2 protien shakes & 1 meal a day, and 14 days of liquids.< /p>

Given the choice of the three above, which would you choose?

I havent told too many people about me going to Mexico, but the ones who know also have things to say... I really dont care. I went to Mexico to have my tubal ligation reversed in 2006 and never regretted it and this will be the case for this surgery as well.

I can't help you choose your doctor because my doctor is Dr. Garcia. But you seem like you are doing your research. I am sure some of each doctors patients will chime in and help you along the way.

Good luck!!!

I had my surgery done with Dr. Almanza, so I can only really speak to the care I got there. I'm very happy with the decision I made.

At a BMI of around 43, I was the fourth of six patients to have surgery on my date, and I too dreaded the pre-surgery waiting. But, as it turned out, the time passed very quickly and I never felt like I was waiting for hours on end. For one thing, there is a lot to be done pre-op. You get to the clinic, have blood drawn for some tests, then have an intake interview to discuss your medical history, then get settled in a (shared) room with beds, get your gown on, have your legs wrapped and IV done by the nurse, have your cardiology consult. After that, you can watch some TV, get to know your roommate, or even call someone back home on the free telephone in the room. I believe I went in for surgery around 4 p.m. and I was out and in recovery 45 minutes later.

I also wasn't really looking forward to the recovery house, but I found that between the meds and just recovering from surgery in general, I slept a lot of the time and it was no big deal. There were always two excellent nurses on duty and it was nice to be able to have them available. When I wasn't sleeping, it was great to have some company and people to chat with. I also spent time sitting by myself out in the sunny little garden, and the last afternoon I was there I went shopping and got my teeth whitened. The time pretty much flew by that last day.

I weighed the pros and cons (money was a big consideration for me too) and for me, I was okay with having the surgery done in a clinic environment rather than a hospital. That's a purely personal decision, and in my mind it would probably be the key decision point between one doctor and the next.

I couldn't be happier with how it all worked out :) Whichever way you decide, wishing you a good procedure and a speedy recovery!

I went with dr Ponce and loved it . I have some of my pics of int hospital and the hotel at www.photobucket.com/wlstijuana . I didn't like the drain but I found it a reassurance with the extra leak test. Trish was amazing ! I am biased but I really liked his experience.

I wouldnt go with almanza , I've heard too many nasty things and I don't like the clinic idea.

Dr Kelly is a good dr , you could try to negotiate the high BMi cost away.... Couldn't hurt to try if that is who you want and it is what is stopping you

Thanks ya'll. Omar texted me and him and Dr, Kelly called me after I emailed about the $500 additional charge. The fee was waived and I don't have to pay a deposit. He was super nice and answered all my questions. I feel comfortable scheduling my surgery with him so I am scheduled May 25th with Dr, Kelly, yay! Now when my financing comes thru, I get a certified check and send Omar a copy. Excited!

That is great, I think you will be happy with Dr Kelly.

I am scheduled for May 10th, one week away!!! So cannot comment on how the surgery is, but only on communication I have had so far which is great!

Good luck to you & I will hopefully post a full review of my experience when I get back home (or in the hotel if I get wi-fi & feel up to it).

Congratulations on your decision.

NJSharon, good luck with your surgery. I'm looking forward to reading about it :).

Afro_Cyster, thanks~looks like we made the same one!

Off topic, my loan was 100% funded, money in da bank, and day 4 I think of the pre-op diet. If my stomach would shut up and quit growling, I'd be all good lol. Picked up lunch for me and a coworker yesterday from a chinese buffet. I made him a to-go plate stuffed full and made me a container of won-ton Soup, no won-tons or scallions. Surpringly delicious, though the cashier questioned it (clear container). The v8 paper container Tomato & broccoli Soups are also pretty tasty. Wendy's now has baked sweet potatoes, so I got one plain and mashed it up and it was sweet itself. Edy's all fruit pops with splenda are kinda ehhhh though, bad aftertaste. 3 weeks to go!

Hi crystalintville, With all my research, I think all the doctors are good in Tijuana. What made me decision was the pre op diet. Dr Pronce only requires a three day nothing but yogurt diet. That was a piece of cake. And Trish is amazing.

, With all my recerch, I think all the doctors are good in tijuana. What made me decition was the pre op diet. Dr Pronce only requires a three day nothing but yogert. That was a piece of cake. And Trish is amasing.

My surgery with Dr Kelly is now over & went so smoothly! No gas pain at all after surgery!!! Just some minimal nausea the first 24 hours. Dr Kelly & his team were fantastic, making me feel a part of the family. They took me out to eat several times, to the beach, to shopping. It was great.

You can read all about it on my blog here: http://njsharonjourney.blogspot.com/

Oh & Dr Kelly, for me, just told me to eat healthy for 2 weeks prior, then liquid diet for 3 days pre-op. That wasn't too bad... chicken broth, yoghurt, pureed veggies even!

Any questions about Dr Kelly you can just reply to here or PM me & happy to answer them! I love Dr Kelly!!!

Candyman, the 3 days of yogurt sounds good!

NJSharon, I am excited about meeting Dr. Kelly, Cece, and Omar, two days to go! I hope I get a view like your room, gorgeous! My pre-op diet is a little different. I've been on mushies since the day I set my surgery date and clear broth, Jello, juice, and Water for my last 3 days. I've lost 25 lbs on it this month :).

So excited for you Crystal, you will do fantastic! But update when you can!

I had my surgery with Dr. Ponce and loved my experience! He taught both Dr. Kelly and Dr. Almanza the sleeve. I saw you will have your surgery tomorrow Crystal and I wish you the best of luck!

I'm to have my surgery with Dr. Kelly in August and I was told to go on liquid diet two weeks prior and last 3 days clears. I think it's because I have a higher BMI. I will be doing 3 weeks instead of two, and watching things closer in the meantime.

I'm to have my surgery with Dr. Kelly in August and I was told to go on liquid diet two weeks prior and last 3 days clears. I think it's because I have a higher BMI. I will be doing 3 weeks instead of two' date=' and watching things closer in the meantime.[/quote']

How did u make the final decision to have Dr.Kellyndo the surgery?