Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am considering going to Mexico for my surgery...can u tell me of your experience and what doctor u used? I would truly appreaciate it. I've been wanting this surgery for awhile but my BMI is 38 n insurance wi not cover. My last choice is to pay out of pocket but I don't have that type of money put up for this surgery n the US.

I was in exactly the same situation as you, my BMI was just under 40 & insurance wouldn't cover it. It would have cost me $24,850 out of pocket if I self-paid in NJ!

So instead I am heading to Mexico, with Dr Kelly, on May 10th. It is costing me $5500 for everything. Well only thing extra is plane fair & money for incidentals (anything I want to buy, tip for driver). I'm also going to get my teeth whitened & that will cost $200.

Dr Kelly's coordinators Omar & Ana have been great at keeping in touch with me. I have had a billion questions & they have gotten back to me very quickly.

If you need to contact them to ask any questions (even before you decide on them) you can call 619-395-5347 or e-mail them at wls-clinic@hotmail.com.

Good luck with your choice! Oh & I will be posting a review after I am sleeved too!

Wow Sharon, I wish I would have thought about teeth whitening while I was there.

NeNe, my experience was similar to Sharon's. Same doctor and all. I paid a total of $5000, including flight, food, and tips for my parents and myself. It was a wonderful experience and I met alot of wonderful people.

I had Dr Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center. All went great!

I also went to Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. They are really good about emailing right back with prices and sometimes run specials for different things.

A few days ago I posted my experience with Garcia in Mexico. I was just sleeved on 4/21. It is in the Mexico (self pay) section of this site. Let me know if you want any more info! Best of luck to you!!

Thanks everyone for the feed back

I just had surgery with Dr Alvarez in Piedras Negras mexico yesterday. Totally fabulous experience. See my post under the post sleeve forum. My cost was 8700. He only does two sleeves daily and I don't know about u! But that makes a huge difference - I don't want to be the 8th one that day.

I also went to Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center.. My surgery was April 16th and I feel fabulous!!! I was sooo impressed with Dr. Ortiz, his center, the staff, etc.... I was taken care of very well and so was my Mother who accompanied me on the trip. The surgery was a breeze and I had zero gas, no nausea and very little discomfort. I am definitely an advocate of Dr. Ortiz. He's been featured on Oprah, the Dr's and he was listed at one of the top 15 Bariatric Surgeons by Newsweek Magazine.. If you would like more info his website is www.obesitycontrolcenter.com. 85% of his patients are from the US and Canada.

Best Of Luck!!

Oh.. and just a FYI.. total surgery price was $6995 and that included 4 night hotel stay at the Marriott for my Mother and myself. You only stay one night in his facility and then you are at the hotel the remainder of the time. The only thing you are responsible for is your airfare and your meds when you are discharged.... About $125.00

Ooops.. one more thing.. LOL

You still go back to the facility after you are discharged for follow-up. Each day you will be shuttled by the Marriott to his facility for a check-up. Everything went so smooth!!