Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dangerous E-mail

I received an e-mail recently with an attached file called "heartattack1.pps". It is a slick presentation on how to save your life if you are having a heart attack while alone, BUT IS IS NOT TRUE yet, because of it's high quality and because it names a medical institution as it's source, it can be very dangerous and misleading.

I wish there was a way to upload the file to this forum so that all of you could see how seductive it is.

THE PRESENTATION IS FALSE

If you want to see the presentation, you can go CLICK HERE and then go to the bottom of the page that opens.

Right-Click on "HeartAttack.pps" and select "save link as" or "download file" or whatever your browser uses to download a file.

Or you can just CLICK HERE and save it to disk, unZip it and open it.

THE PRESENTATION IS FALSE

I'm an RN and we actually do use "coughing" as a therapeutic treatment. However, the patients we use it on are attached to a continuous cardiac monitor. If we see something called ventricular tachycardia on the monitor AND the patient is still alert and oriented, we tell the patient to cough forcefully or bear down as if you're having a bowel movement. This VAGAL stimulation can sometimes "break" the life-threatening arrhythmia.

If you're feeling faint, crossing your ankles and pressing them together hard, pressing your knees against each other hard, or lowering you head to the level of your lap all signal baroreceptors in you body to raise your blood pressure.

It sad and dangerous that effective medical therapies get misinterpreted and turned around to the point of actually causing harm. Thank you for alerting us to this.

I have an unusual heart condition and about 4 years ago, my heart stopped beating on a Sunday afternoon. I jumped out of my computer chair and starting doing "jumping-jacks" which I assumed (correctly since I am alive to write about it) would signal my autonomic pacemaker (part of the body) to kick my heart-rate up.

My cardiologist did not believe me when I reached him through his service, but told me to get a ride to the local hospital's ER. While on monitoring equipment, my pulse dropped to the low 40's, and my blood-pressure hit as low as 71/45. I was on a monitor in the cardiac ward for 5 days and a few times my heart stopped for as long as 20 seconds, but restarted each time before the "crash-cart" arrived.

I am being treated with medication and am tested every 6 months or so. So far, "knock on wood", I am surviving.:faint:

Have you ever had electrophysiologic studies (EPS) done? It sounds like you have a conduction problem that might require an automatic internal cardiac defibrillator (AICD) in addition to a pacemaker. Thank God you're OK now.

Have you ever had electrophysiologic studies (EPS) done? It sounds like you have a conduction problem that might require an automatic internal cardiac defibrillator (AICD) in addition to a pacemaker. Thank God you're OK now.
Yes, I had the EPS and during the EPS, my heart stopped. I was looking at the monitor and saw the flat-lines and the doctor asked, "Do you know what is going on?" and I replied, "My heart is not beating."

We conversed for another 15 seconds (which seemed like an eternity) and then my heart started beating again.

At the time, because I worked around electronic equipment, we decided that an AICD would mean forced medical retirement which I did not want. I want to make one thing clear; when I said that I:

starting doing "jumping-jacks" which I assumed (correctly since I am alive to write about it) would signal my autonomic pacemaker (part of the body) to kick my heart-rate up.
I was referring to my build in pacemaker which is a part of the nervous system of the body, not a man made and implanted pace-maker.

I have passed stress tests or nuclear stress tests every year since the EPS and as long as I keep my weight under control and take my medication, I should be ok (I hope).

With a 15 second pause during an EPS study, I am surprised that they did not opt to at least put in a pacemaker. I had EPS and was ablated for a re-entry fast rhythm. Eventually I will need an AICD but thankfully, so far, so good. What's interesting is that in my case, I only began to have heart problems AFTER I lost 230 pounds. I put back 130 of that but did keep 100 pounds off for 4 years. Now I hope the band helps me get back down to a healthy weight.

I'm glad that your weight loss has helped the heart flare-ups and I certainly hope you've see the last of them.

Count me in.. past PSVT ablation here, however, you can have the AICD, I don't want one.. lol I have had the 'coughing' valsalva maneuvers used on me numerous times.

It's surprising that three of us have all gone through EPS. The ablation was painful but it sure beats having to deal with the arrhythmias. I hear you on the AICD. I am hoping to avoid that for a long time.

Thanks to my genes, my arteries and veins are plague free.

When the saw my weight, age and cholesterol count, they expected to find globs of goop in my arteries and veins during my angiogram.

I'm 23 and take propranolol daily. What exactly is it for? Can it prevent heart problems related to weight?

I started taking it for feeling dizzy and having Migraines, but the pharmacists always say its heart or blood medication.

Propranolol (Inderal) is a beta-blocker that is used to treat hypertension and fast heart rates. In people with congestive heart failure, beta-blockers slow down the heart rate (pulse) and improve the functioning of the heart (increased cardiac output).

Beta-blockers are also used to treat Migraine headaches in many people. If you're blood pressure is fine, I suspect you're on the drug for treatment of the Migraines.

As for preventing heart problems related to weight, that's a combination of heridity and dietary factors. Some people are at goal weight, eat healthy and have sky-high bad cholesterol levels (LDL) and triglycerides. Others, are morbidly obese and have no heart issues. You can't change genetics but you can eat a low-fat, high-fiber, balanced diet.

I hope that helps to answer your question.