Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Military Sleevers?

How does everyone feel after te surgery? Do you feel like you get a lot of support from the bariatric team? They stopped doing support groups on our base and I am pissed.

i am! im getting my sleve done the 30th may at Walter Reed in MD... what kind of question do you have?

I'm glad to hear Walter Reed is still open! We heard it closed down.

Also, I had mine done April 9th at Darnell Army Medical Center in TX. What are you curious about?

They closed Walter Reed and merged with the navy Med center so the new name is Walter Reed national military medical center... Its located in Bethesda..

They closed Walter Reed and merged with the navy Med center so the new name is Walter Reed national military medical center... Its located in Bethesda..

Oh, that is certainly not the same hospital. I wonder why they chose to keep the name. That explains the confusion around here in TX. Some people were saying it was closed and some saying its still open. I bet the ones saying it was still open don't even know the old one existed. That is so sad. That was an amazing hospital and the darn media ruined it with their outlandish stories because one small building was in disrepair.

Not sure on the name.. they are in a very nice hospital now its beautiful... its less confusing now that They are in the same bldg my husband used to have appts at both ugh what a headache...

I'm going through Tripler AMC in Hawaii. I'm just in the beginning stage of the program. :)

I feel like I got more support and education from the group at Balboa then Most of the people on this website...Although I would say that after the surgery I have not kept in contact with them other than to have scheduled follow-up appointments. All that is required I guess. They were there for me if I had questions and I am sure if I lived closer I may have attended a few support group meetings but I consider this site my support group anyway!

God Bless all you Spouses and your service Members!

Hello all,

I am in the beginning phase of surgery at Balboa. So far, it has been a good experience. I am about halfway done with phase 1, and should be able to meet with the surgeon by the beginning of July. I like that there is a check list to follow of exactly what I have to do prior to surgery. I live about an hour away, so getting to some of the classes is a pain, but it will all be worth it.

~Diane

Hi I had my surgery at Keesler AFB in Biloxi MS just over a year ago. Dr. Layton was fantastic!

Patty

My new surgeon I great. He's not a bariatric surgeon, but he does listen. I am irritated that they stopped all the support groups. All I have is this forum. Which is nice, but I would've liked a face to face group.

I had my sleeve done at Madigan Army Hospital, WA. in Jan. 2012. I lost 36 lbs. in 12 days and haven't lost a lb. since then. I'm not cheating and finally able to to exercise in my spa pool. I have fibromyalgia, 2 broken feet from charcot foot and am an insulin dependent diabetic and I think that is where the problem is. Insulin blocks my weight loss. I am so frustrated but don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Kswanson

Idea for you - I know several people who have fibromyalgia. They took gluten out of their diet completely, as if they had been dx with celiac, and ALL of their symptoms disappeared. I also meet 2 people who had lupus, did the same thing, and they ate symptom free. Gluten is in almost all processed goods so you will need to learn all the hidden names for flour, oats, wheat, rye and barely but it would definitely be a great start. Make sure you don't replace the gluten items with no gluten items, reg crackers for gluten free, because you are just swiping carbs for carbs. They didn't tell me that part!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I would love to hear from anyone who had surgery at BAMC. Please pm me, just interested in knowing how your experience was. Thanks!! ^_^

I will try that. I was already almost there, but not strict about it. Crackers are the only thing that soothes my stomach.