Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Military Sleevers?

I'm a military dependent and had my sleeve done at Travis AFB in CA. Id like to hear other people's experience through the military.

I am a marine wife and had my surgery done at Balboa in San Diego! Nice to meet you Mrs. Fly!

i am! im getting my sleve done the 30th may at Walter Reed in MD... what kind of question do you have?

Hello all! I don't have questions(yet) its just nice to meet people who are going to or have had the surgery through the military. My surgery was done by Dr Bui on Travis AFB on April 16, 2012. Unfortunately my surgeon deploys next week and I feel like I don't have a lot of support through the bariatric program. Most of the nutrition classes are in the middle of the day when getting childcare is hard. And everyone is in their 50-60s it seems. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there. : )

Regarding Tricare Travel Reimbursement for 100 miles plus. Will they cover travel for VSG? Any tips on what I should or should not say to my on base benefits guy before I say to much? I'm going to be traveling 150 miles and any reimbursement would be helpful!

I've printed the policy and it looks like they should cover it, but in my mind if they don't cover the VSG they won't cover the travel to get it. Please tell me your experience!

Ginger snap - I only live 15 minutes from the base so I can't help you on the travel stuff. What I did is I went to my primary dr and told him that I had a hard time losing more than 30 lbs after my son and that I've been having knee and back issues. I also really pushed the fact that I have a very strong family history of high blood pressure. It didn't take a lot of cajoling to get my dr to approve the surgery since my BMI is high enough and I have over 100 lbs to lose. I can tell you this, according to my nutritionist, Tricare ( in the near future) is going to want patients to lose 5% of their body weight. Right now they encourage you to lose but it's not required. ( just don't gain!)

where im at you are required to loose 10lbs.. (not much but still if your having a hard time doing it already then 10 is rough) and you have to keep it off you are not allowed to gain any back and if you do they cancel your surgery until you can hold it steady....

I had heard they were going to change it. I was grandfathered in since I had been in the program for months. I know a girl who can't even get a dr appt because she gained 2 lbs. so she gave up on the surgery altogether.

well im -28days til the big day and i am scared to death.. :(( first major surgery in my life.... eep!

So They moved my date up to this Friday the 11th... I'm so scared...

You'll be fine! The worst is the anticipation! Soon you'll be on the path to a new future! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

I was sleeved last July at BAMC , Ft. Sam Houston, Tx.

I'm scheduled with dr Wilcox at ft Carson in colorado springs (although we are air force) for may 14! Nerves have definitely set in....

I'm scheduled with dr Wilcox at ft Carson in colorado springs (although we are air force) for may 14! Nerves have definitely set in....

We were stationed in CS. I delivered a baby at FT. Carson and had a couple of over night stays for other health issues. Great Care. I didnt know they were doing WLS. That is awesome! Good Luck to you!