Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Any Of You Eaten Solid Food Before You Were Supposed To?

I didn't deviate from my post-op diet. I didn't want to have a leak - and if I stuck to all my Dr's recommendations and still got one, I knew it wouldn't be MY fault. I didn't want to stray from the diet, get a leak, and have no one to blame but myself.

Thank you everybody!! I threw out my lemon drops.. The sugar iv reference really made me think! Today I started having full liquids.. I had broccoli cheddar Soup.. Is this good? Does anyone ever doub they cut the stomach? Cuz liquids is not holding me down, only if they are heavy. Crosiers have good Soup FYI

Every surgeon is so different that it can be hard to determine what is ok to eat if it is outside of your Dr.'s direct perimeters. Example, some are on clear liquida for weeks. I was on full liquids in the hospital. Sf pudding, cottage cheese & yogurt. My nut wanted me eating solids @3 weeks, but I didn't because I couldn't eat them w/o it getting stuck. So, everyone gets different guidelines........confusing!!

Thank you everybody!! I threw out my lemon drops.. The sugar iv reference really made me think! Today I started having full liquids.. I had broccoli cheddar soup.. Is this good? Does anyone ever doub they cut the stomach? Cuz liquids is not holding me down' date=' only if they are heavy. Crosiers have good Soup FYI

[/quote']

I have been having creamed Soups, putting dry milk in them for extra Protein.. Tonite for dinner I had broccoli cheddar but I blended it first-

Imagine my dissapointment when I went in to the doc for my one week follow up and he said, since you are a band to sleeve revision, stay on liquid an extra week (compared to the plan they gave me) and push out the whole progression another week. The nutritionist forgot to mention that to me and I was literally counting the days... only to have it ripped out from under me...lol

At the time, I was sorta disappointed, I wanted to eat, i was feeling some hunger etc etc. Well, I stuck with it and am glad I did. In hindsight, it was such a short window to do without solid food, it really wasn't THAT bad. I am happy to have not had a leak - not to say that everyone who cheats has a leak, but why tempt fate?

Another thing that somebody mentioned is that certain kind of foods can get caught in the still healing staple lines. Stuff like nuts and other small hard bits like that. EVen if you chew carefully, you might swallow something that could get caught in the healing tissue... and eeeewww, you can imagine what that might result in.

I have to be honest. I ate solids almost immediately after leaving the hospital. Not a lot. Just a few bites of protien with my clear Soup. I also had watered down shakes. I'm 10 days post op, and eating salmon, chewing very well, soft cheese, protien shakes, soup and even had a couple of glasses of wine. No ill affects. I'm keeping in my 600-800 calories a day, but I cant stand liquid anymore. My biggest concern is stretching my stomach so absolutley no carbs, carbonation or gassy food that can stretch my pouch. I don't get all the hype about liquid for so long. What's the point?

I always stick to my surgeon's guidelines. I have talked with people that had complications from eating regular foods in the early phases after the procedure. I also believe it helps us excel in our weight loss too. I does bug me when people don't follow rules provided by his/her surgeon and then complain because they have complications as a result. It's like discarding the knowledge and expertise of the surgeon as if they know better. Go figure. I love my success and I followed the guidelines provided by my surgeons office and have had no complications. NONE! Yayyyyyyyy! :)

I'm just curious what would actually happen if I ate something solid while I'm still on my full-liquid diet. I've had refried Beans and pureed avocado, and I tolerated it just fine. I'm two weeks out, and I'm only supposed to be eating cream of wheat (which I hate), and other equally boring mush. I had a few spoonfuls of soft Beans, and I didn't get sick or anything.

Have any of you started eating solids before you were supposed to?

ginajet77

you have a brand new tummy that you must respect

not adviseable to "test" the waters :angry:

you ate something post surgery while on liquid diet. you were "successful" eating,nothing happened :( but you shouldn't do this :ph34r:

you chose to have major surgery with the sleeve, new life with the sleeve - please follow the "rules" with drinking, Protein, and eventually eating solids correctly- proper portions et al

don't get ahead of yourself with different stages, drink, eat, properly per NUT

proper stages per dr/NUT-you can do this

this is the way you will be successful sleever, losing your necessary weight, getting healthy for the rest of your life

(hope i didn't lecture too much :( only trying to help a NEWBIE ;) still friends?? ;)

good luck

happy new year :)

This foolish behavior deserves consequences. Maybe not as bad as a life threatening leak, but something...I suppose I can be happy knowing that if they are so silly as to push their program directly after surgery, despite the horrific medical consequences they could face, I should be at least happy knowing they weren't committed enough and they will likely be back in two years whining about their weight gains.

Really, you ripped out most of your stomach and now you want to see if you can pop the dang thing because you feel you are immune to consequences. Smart...very smart!

Edited to reflect a grumpy post in the middle of the night :P

Many people have different programs to follow. My advice is follow your Drs. program. Your Dr. knows what he has done inside your body, he/she knows the reasons and consequences for not abiding to a set guideline per his surgery on you.

You really are playing Russian roulette with your health if you throw caution to the wind.

You can gamble it if you like but a few will not be so lucky to come out unscathed.

I say this because I care for anyone's health. I really want everyone to be a success and not have a horrible complication.

Personally, I don't understand why so many people are advised to be on liquids so long..... My surgeon ordered two weeks of liquids only. Then I was pushed out of the nest to venture with soft foods and if I tolerated that, I could advance as tolerated.

My theory is that some surgeons are more cautious than others, so they keep their patients on a slower diet progression. Personally, since I'm the one that could end up with complications if things don't go well, I appreciate the cautious approach. Same reason I appreciated having a surgeon who did more pre-op tests.

If you're a slower healer, and you don't tolerate the progression to soft foods well, you could end up heaving it back up, and just envision what that's putting your stomach through right after major surgery!

The post-op diet is hard, but guess what - maintenance is hard too. Changing your life is hard Developing all new habits is hard. Sticking to them so you keep the weight off is hard. Time to get used to it....

I am actually beginning to wish leaks on people. This foolish behavior deserves consequences. Maybe not as bad as a life threatening leak' date=' but something...I suppose I can be happy knowing that if they are so silly as to push their program directly after surgery, despite the horrific medical consequences they could face, I should be at least happy knowing they weren't committed enough and they will likely be back in two years whining about their weight gains.

Really, you ripped out most of your stomach and now you want to see if you can pop the dang thing because you feel you are immune to consequences. Smart...very smart![/quote']

Iggy I've seen you post on these posts over & over warning people about eating too many solids too soon, and causing a leak. I think many people here don't remember your story before you had it taken down, and so don't quite grasp the seriousness. I am sure that it feels defeating to share your pain and have people ignore it just to eat solids a bit earlier, but I just wanted to tell you it helped me immensely...because of your story I didn't cheat on preop and I won't cheat on post op. So thank you for sharing your story, especially that initial, painful thread.

To everyone cheating.... It seriously isn't worth it...in the scheme of things, does a 2 week diet really matter? Come on guys, 2 weeks to a month is nothing. You can do anything for a few weeks. When you look back on this years from now, the few weeks will hardly be a memory. Just do what you are supposed to.

The reasons for the stages are many but the most important being 1-when you have something other than liquids you stomach has to "work" or "mode around" in order to work up digestion juices and to work the food into a form that can be absorbed and then the rest made into waste.obviously the less action in your stomach the better for healing properly. Think of it like if you had surgery on your ankle you wouldn't be up and walking right away just to see if you could. It would need times of elevation to crutches to 75% weight to 50% weight... 2- you have a massive suture line. If you eat solids tiny pieces of food could get stuck in that suture line and cause a terrible infection. 3- all of the above could cause a leak which could very well make you septic before you knew what was happenning. Please don't push the progress just to see if you can or because you feel okay afterwards. Count it a blessing you feel so good and take care of yourself. I am 10 DPO and still have a hard time keeping anything down other than Clear Liquids

Iggy I've seen you post on these posts over & over warning people about eating too many solids too soon' date=' and causing a leak. I think many people here don't remember your story before you had it taken down, and so don't quite grasp the seriousness. I am sure that it feels defeating to share your pain and have people ignore it just to eat solids a bit earlier, but I just wanted to tell you it helped me immensely...because of your story I didn't cheat on preop and I won't cheat on post op. So thank you for sharing your story, especially that initial, painful thread.

To everyone cheating.... It seriously isn't worth it...in the scheme of things, does a 2 week diet really matter? Come on guys, 2 weeks to a month is nothing. You can do anything for a few weeks. When you look back on this years from now, the few weeks will hardly be a memory. Just do what you are supposed to.[/quote']

Alley, reading that restores some faith in me :). Thank you and I wish you the greatest success dear! With a functioning brain like that...you're gonna rock this!