Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Any Of You Eaten Solid Food Before You Were Supposed To?

I'm just curious what would actually happen if I ate something solid while I'm still on my full-liquid diet. I've had refried Beans and pureed avocado, and I tolerated it just fine. I'm two weeks out, and I'm only supposed to be eating cream of wheat (which I hate), and other equally boring mush. I had a few spoonfuls of soft beans, and I didn't get sick or anything.

Have any of you started eating solids before you were supposed to?

I am almost three weeks out and I eat Soups, chicken salad, tuna, some soft fruits, even have had a little arugula. I have been extremely diligent about chewing and everything has gone down fine without getting stuck or coming back up. It seems to me that everyone's body is different. Take it slow and listen to your stomach.

I'm almost 2 weeks out and I've been eating solids. (SHHH...) I've tolerated them fine. I haven't gotten sick from eating too soon. I can only eat very little and I really have to train myself on taking my time. I do make sure that I'm chewing very well though. And I have also not tried anything that I don't think will agree with me too much like fast food or spicy foods. I mostly try to stick to my full liquid diet, but sometimes I just need a little bit more. Also...are you trying out solids because your still hungry? Why do I always feel soooo hungry??? I wasn't even this hungry pre surgery!!!!

I too ate before it was time. The big worry is the staple line in your stomach going to hold before it is healed? If you get a leak it is bad news.

Yes, eating solids too early can be bad news. IMO, it's not worth pushing forward with the diet because the sleeve needs time to heal. If you're feeling "hungry", you definitely need to talk to your doctor about getting an acid reducer for you. Part of that hungry feeling is head hunger as well. For most of us, that goes away once all of the ghrelin hormone is out of our systems, which can take up to 30 days.

Is having solid foods a few days early worth the possible risk that you'll cause a leak and end up in the hospital or on a liquid diet for months instead of a few more days? I don't think so.

Instead of sitting there obsessing about what you can't eat, drink some Water, go for a walk, call a friend, or have a nice cup of warm broth. Right now it seems you'll never get to eat solid food again, but it will be a minor blip on the radar in a few weeks.

Good luck!

I was on liquids for a month and then soft foods for two weeks. I think the fear of getting a leak was strong enough to prevent me from eating solid foods before I was supposed to.

I actually did that without remembering it is habit. BAD habits are hard to break. My doctor told me not to worry about it. Good luck!!

Good advice Lissa, I have a friend that recently had her VSG. She is obsessing over eating solids. I try to keep her focused and distracted and she soon forgets. It helps that we work together and have lunch together. lunch for me is a RTD Protein shake. (Yes even at a year plus out I still have one a day) She brings cottage cheese or a shake as well. (As I rarely do lunch. I do Breakfast and dinner.) As long as I re direct the conversation about food to what new and exciting happenings in our lives she is good. I too was too scared to eat solids as fearful of a leak and how certain foods can get stuck in the staple line. Was not going to let that happen. I followed the post op diet to a "T". Everyone will do just fine... :) Wish all of you great success with your sleeves!!!!!

Deb

Yes' date=' eating solids too early can be bad news. IMO, it's not worth pushing forward with the diet because the sleeve needs time to heal. If you're feeling "hungry", you definitely need to talk to your doctor about getting an acid reducer for you. Part of that hungry feeling is head hunger as well. For most of us, that goes away once all of the ghrelin hormone is out of our systems, which can take up to 30 days.

Is having solid foods a few days early worth the possible risk that you'll cause a leak and end up in the hospital or on a liquid diet for months instead of a few more days? I don't think so.

Instead of sitting there obsessing about what you can't eat, drink some Water, go for a walk, call a friend, or have a nice cup of warm broth. Right now it seems you'll never get to eat solid food again, but it will be a minor blip on the radar in a few weeks.

Good luck![/quote']

Thank you lissa, know I understand the reason for a liquid diet. I have a question... I have been eating lemon drop candy's to help me with the process of waiting.. Is this bad? It does have sugar.. I dont want to make a habit of eating candy, advice?

Eating lemon drop candies is not creating a healthy eating habit. How about drinking Water or eating a piece of fruit? Sugar is totAlly addicting for me and I don't stop at 1 piece. Minimalize all sugars and focus on healthier foods. Now is the time to start. Hang in there and keep us posted. ;)

i am 4 weeks out wed and still on mushies i am going to my daughters college graduation thursday in florida and my dr said to not try solid foods until i come back in case i get sick and i an away from home. i have not deviated from instructions at all and have not.had any problems at all. i was on Clear liquids for 2 weeks i did not want a leak

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

Sweetby, I'd eliminate the lemon candies. Heaven forbid that you accidently swallow one! That would require an endoscopy to remove the candy, or put you in tremendous pain until it dissolved. Your esophagus is NOT big enough to let it enter your stomach at this point. The opening there is swollen, just like the sleeve is swollen, and you don't want something to get caught!

How about trying one of those dissolvable breath strips? Or, brush your teeth, drink some broth, drink some Water, warm tea, Decaf coffee or tea... anything to distract you. Liquids would be much better for your sleeve and would help to keep you hydrated.

The other thing about candy is that it has carbs from the sugar. Some people have a major problem with carb addiction and MUST avoid them to lose well. Eliminating the sugary candy will help with the head hunger issue as well. I know that, for me, eating carbs is a good way to trigger a hungry thought, even if I'm not hungry. Kapish?

Good luck! You will survive this and you'll be here telling other newbies the same thing I'm telling you. :)

Good advice Lissa! I went to the store just today to make my kitchen more liquid friendly so I don't cause any complications. So far I'm ok besides still feeling hungry but distraction and drinking something is helping. I'm thinking maybe I'm more thirsty than hungry and I also don't want to get dehydrated.

My doctor keeps his patients on liquids for the first 21 days post op. He said he has never had a person develop a leak if they followed that time frame and didn't cheat during it.

Yikes, the lemon candy scares me to death! I would throw those out for the same reasons Lissa mentioned. I have a fear of hard tack candy in general, even for non WLS patients. My kids are grown and even now respect that I would prefer they didn't eat it. I refer to them as "chokables."

As benign as those little hard candies seem, they are being evil by feeding your body sugar. That will open up cravings to all sorts of bad things. They are worse than a bite of cake or something because they are slowly and constantly dripping sugar into your system like an IV. Scary stuff.