Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm an OR night nurse on a unit that operates 24/7. For the nurses here, how long before you went back to work post-op?

Hi guys -I am an ER nurse and my shift is 15-03. So I half a night shift nurse :) I am 15 days out and am taking 8 weeks off my surgeon told me to take 6 but I have myself some extra time as I am worried about going back to work and the snacking and not getting breaks to eat meals, pee or drink.

I'm an OR night nurse on a unit that operates 24/7. For the nurses here' date=' how long before you went back to work post-op?[/quote']

I went back 2 weeks post op- seems Like too Early but I have alot of support on my floor and I haven't done any lifting yet- I am glad I did because I needed to be in a routine -

Hello my fellow night owls! Things have been going well for me lately. I am now losing about 2-3lbs a week' date=' was sleeved 3/12 with a starting weight of 235 I am now down to 181! So I am pleased with how things are going.

Staying awake all night has gotten easier, sleeping well during the day but I am still having a real hard time trying to get in enough fluids and have now started having some dizzy spells. Working in L&D I am sometimes in pushing with a pt for 2-3 hours without a sip of Water. I am trying to hydrate well prior to work but doesn't always work out. Also my hair has started coming out in huge amounts so I am struggling with that and trying to remind myself I won't be bald lol. I am not having any issues with all the Snacks laying around and have actually found a Protein bar at Walmart called Premiere Protein that has 30grams of protein in a bar and actually tastes pretty good so I will snack on that instead of chips and candy. I do however miss Pepsi and sometimes daydream about having one haha! For the most part things are going really well and I am so happy I had the sleeve! Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the nightshifters are doing![/quote']

2-3 lbs a week is my goal! I'm down 24 lbs as of weds and am thrilled w that- I was certain that it would slow down once I started nights again, but the NP at my surgeons office said that was a myth.. Uugh who knows lol

I went back 2 weeks post op- seems Like too Early but I have alot of support on my floor and I haven't done any lifting yet- I am glad I did because I needed to be in a routine -

WOW! I'm hoping I'll need no more than 3 weeks. I had to have unexpected robotic surgery earlier this month, and had to use 2 weeks PTO that I was saving for my sleeve surgery. I felt fine returning to work after 2 weeks this time, I hope it's the same for the sleeve.

Hey!! I'm also a night shift L&D. Nurse in north ky. I'm due. A m to wrk the 12 of June. I was luckie to get off 6 weeks!

We will have to all stay In touch to. Help each other thru the nights

so last night I experienced a "crash" of some sort... wasn't eating too much (busy as heck) and at about 0400 I sat at my desk and fell asleep! With my head in my hands! That has never happened before.. my charge RN was sitting next to me and she let me go for about 5 minutes, and when I realized what happened her response was "I thought you needed it..lol" I don't know if the exhaustion of the shift caught up with me or if it was that I hadnt eaten in hours.

MamaT this happened to me when I started back. We do all our documenting on the computer and mid type I fell asleep! I think it's our bodies just saying "hey I need a time out". It does get better though, I have been back to work for almost 3 months now and I feel like I did pre sleeve. Keep in touch and things will get better!

Hey all! Another night shifter question... Do u exercise on the days you have to work that night? I haven't been, but am starting to wonder if it will give me more energy.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I exercise after my shift is over, it helps me sleep better and I'm finding it does give me energy through the night. Not only that, but I'm not pressing the snooze button as many times when my alarm goes off!

Hello all. I am a night shift nurse in the ER. I went back to work 1.5 weeks after surgery. I Was skewed in April 16. I starting weight was 290. Now weighing in at 226. I and super happy with the results. I have a cup of Water at my desk full at all times. Every time I walk by I take a sip. Thy helps with hydration. Also after every assessment or procedure I take a sip. Now there are some nights that get super busy with traumas that prevent that. But I am able to most nights. Also I work 11p-7a monday through friday. So I eat a meal right before I go in and then eat something small Protein at about 1-130. Then again at 3-330 again at 5-6. Then I I also go to the gym right after I get off Tuesday through Saturday. I have a very busy evening life withy daughter and myself dancing so I get roughly 5-6 hours. But have a lot more energy now than before. Hope this helps. Sorry this is so long

post-44120-13813669819864_thumb.jpg

Before

post-44120-13813669820819_thumb.jpg

Current

post-30124-13813659162483_thumb.jpg

post-30124-13813659162874_thumb.jpg

I am a night shift nurse in the ER. I went back to work 1.5 weeks after surgery.

Wow! You look amazing! Our stats are similiar, so I'm hoping I'll lose quickly like you did. I'm trying to decide how long I'll need before returning to work. I'm a night shift OR nurse and I work compressed weekends, 11p-7a on Thurs, 3p-7a on Fri & Sat. I'm still pre-op, but by Sat., I'm so tired, that I'm miserable. How long after you returned that you felt you were no longer dragging? Also, did you use any energy supplements? Thanks!

I work nights also(sun-tues 6p-630a) as a Cat Scan Technologist in a very busy hospital... Some nights I barely have time to go to the bathroom.. Im starting to worry a little now after reading some of the responses!!!

My Doctor is keeping me out of work for 4 weeks due to the weight lifting restriction... (I go back to work July 29th).

Any suggestions from people on foods to take to work to snack on instead of getting an a meal... mostly I never get a real 30 minutes for a dinner break....

Hi MamaT I am also a nightshift nurse on a very busy L&D unit and had the same fears as you about going back. I have been back to work for about 3 weeks now and some nights are easier than others. I found I had some occasional light headedness during the first week (usually after emptying a foley or changing a chux) but I just went slow and it did get better. My biggest challenge at first was being able to eat' date=' usually I dont have time at work so now I try to eat before I go in (something I never did preop) and bring lots of high protien Snacks. I found I could usually find the time to eat a cheese stick but not so much an ounce of tuna. Drinking is a little easier I just keep my Water bottle with me and constantly sip, some nights I can get in 32oz and others I'm lucky if I can get in 8oz. I try to make up for it on my days off. My best advice for you though is bring a scrub jacket, I have never been so cold as I have since going back!! It's ridiculous how cold I get come 0300! Also you are going to be very tired after your first week, I sleep like the dead most days instead of the usually 4-5 hours I used to. I also found that after the first week back my weight completely stalled for about 2weeks but it seems to be moving again but slower than before, I have an appt with my surgeon on Wed. and am going to ask I this is related to working nights. And above all take care of yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help when it comes to moving people and the such, I guarded my stomach like I was a fresh post op. I just told pts I had a back injury an needed help to move them if they asked, and my coworkers are great. I am about seven weeks post op now and still won't do half the stuff I used to alone, and I don't feel guilty about it dde09. I hope your night goes well and I am working tonight also, u can message me if u need some support! Your going to do great though!![/quote']

How long was u off from work ?