Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved On April 24Th

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, or any other forum, but I just wanted to share my story and have some support during this journey.

I have been overweight my entire life, but in the last 5 years I gained over 80 lbs., develoved high blood pressure and sleep apnea. It has been difficult doing any physical activity as my knees and back will always hurt.

I tried 3 years ago to see if my insurance will me for gastric bypass but they denied it. I tried again in April and they immediately approved it, and I was sleeved on the 24th.

This is day 4 post-op and I'm still sore but feeling great.

I'm mostly struggling with what to drink. I started drinking Protein Shakes, broth, italian icees, and crystal light, but do not want to try any puree food until 1 week post-op.

On my last weight in on Monday April 23rd, I weight 268 lbs., this morning I weight in at 249 lbs. Am I lossing too fast? Any suggestions?

Hi, first off cottage to you, and your new life that is waiting just around the corner!!! My name is Carole, I had my sleeve done on October 20, 2011! In a little over 6 months I have lost almost 110 lbs! I went from a size 24 to a 12 and now the 12 is starting to get big! Everything is just happening so fast! I tried the Protein Shakes, but I thought they were vile!!! If you can tolerate them, then that is great, and keep drinking! My surgeon said as long as I could eat yogurt, which I could than I didn't have to worry about the Protein. My protein is still a little low as are some of my Vitamin levels. So please take your vitamins!! My heaviest I was 306 now I am into the 190's. I feel so much better. I had a rough surgery, the day after I had a heart attack, was intubated for 3 days awake... HORRIBLE.... Went back into surgery 2 days after the first surgery cause I was losing so much blood, need 6 transfusions. Then my spleen was bleeding into itself, I know that sounds strange, but your spleen has an outer capsule. So I spent 11 fun filled days in the hospital. People ask me if it was worth it?...... I say yes every time! My life was going nowhere. Now I'll be able to do all the things I couldn't! Even at 46 I am going back to school! And start my life. You can talk to me ask me questions feel free, I know what you are going through! Just hang in there! Take care, Carole

Oh my goodness Carol......a heart attack. Was the heart attack because of the surgery? What type of surgery did you have after sleeve? Did you have any symptoms before?

Hi Carole,

I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you went through and I'm glad you are feeling better now.

I look forward to keeping intouch with you and share our progress.

Thank you!

Juliette, I was also sleeved on April 24th. I am feeling pretty good now still struggling to get in the liquids but learned quickly the more I take in the better I feel. I started this journey at 336, day of surgery I was 310 and as of yesterday I was at 300. I am ready for the new life that is full of blessings, I know that everyone who has struggled with weight has had too many restrictions.

Good luck on your new journey.

Oh my goodness Carol......a heart attack. Was the heart attack because of the surgery? What type of surgery did you have after sleeve? Did you have any symptoms before?

Hey Artsy, my surgeon thinks it was due to a medication withdrawal problem. The surgery was to see if I was bleeding somewhere inside. It was a rough time, but I am feeling much better. No I did not have any symptoms prior to the surgery, all my pre-op tests were fine. How long ago was your surgery and where did you have it done? I am in NY, Dr. Mitchell Roslin did mine at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco. Did every thing go as planned with yours? Talk to you soon, Carole

Hi Carole' date='

I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you went through and I'm glad you are feeling better now.

I look forward to keeping intouch with you and share our progress.

Thank you![/quote']

How are you feeling today? Hopefully a little better every day from here! Where did you have your surgery? Let me know, if you want to chat I'm here ok? Take care and chat with you soon!

Dear Carole, thank you for sharing you experience. It must have been a scarry time for you. I'm so glad you are feeling better. I have not actually had surgery yet. It is scheduled for May 7th -- Houston TX --- Methodist Hospital --- Dr Marvin. I'm just under 5 ft tall and weigh 191--- am at 37 BMI with sleep apnea. I'm doing OK this week but no doubt I will be scared by next weekend.

Wishing you continued speedy recovery!!

Well I will send prayers your way and keep you in my thoughts! Your new life is gonna be awesome!!! Good luck to you. And keep me posted..... Carole

Yesterday was very difficult for me.

I think I experienced dumping syndrome and ending up passing out because my blood pressure dropped.

I was taken to the ER, they started me in an IV, and my blood pressure came back up. They did a CT scan and there were no problems but I still had blood in my stool(sorry for the gross topic). The ER doctor said it was normal after the sleeve, but I'm not sure if this is true.

I did not eat anything that could have caused this, only a sugar free pudding, crystal light, and Protein that comes in the 3 oz vials.

It was awful and I hope it never happens again.

Thank you all for your responses and support.

Yesterday was very difficult for me.

I think I experienced dumping syndrome and ending up passing out because my blood pressure dropped.

I was taken to the ER' date=' they started me in an IV, and my blood pressure came back up. They did a CT scan and there were no problems but I still had blood in my stool(sorry for the gross topic). The ER doctor said it was normal after the sleeve, but I'm not sure if this is true.

I did not eat anything that could have caused this, only a sugar free pudding, crystal light, and Protein that comes in the 3 oz vials.

It was awful and I hope it never happens again.

Thank you all for your responses and support.[/quote']

Wow, what am experience! While I'm not 100% sure, and I will let others chime in. I don't think the 3oz vials of whey Protein are good for you. It seems as though I remember someone saying they don't have the right amino acids your body needs from the protein your body requires during this time. Again, not 100% sure..

Well I will send prayers your way and keep you in my thoughts! Your new life is gonna be awesome!!! Good luck to you. And keep me posted..... Carole

Now that is one hell of a journey Carole! Glad to read all has went your way :)

I was sleeved on 4/24 and the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. I thought I was doing good so I decided to cook dinner for my family and while I was cooking I accidentally took a gulp of my Protein Shake and instantly felt a pain in my left shoulder. I sat down because I thought I was dumping, I had the sweats, craps, and etc. so after 45min it gradually pass so I thought. 10min later the pain in my shoulder came back So i layed down and took like a hour nap it was still there when i woke up i thought it was gas so I got up to walk it out and passed out. I probably should of went to the ER but I didn't, today I feel better but I know I have not been getting my fluids or Protein in.

Hey Artsy' date=' my surgeon thinks it was due to a medication withdrawal problem. The surgery was to see if I was bleeding somewhere inside. It was a rough time, but I am feeling much better. No I did not have any symptoms prior to the surgery, all my pre-op tests were fine. How long ago was your surgery and where did you have it done? I am in NY, Dr. Mitchell Roslin did mine at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco. Did every thing go as planned with yours? Talk to you soon, Carole[/quote']

Hi Carole,

So sorry to hear your story but glad u are ok.... What if you don't mind sharing did you think of your dr? He is doing mine on jan 8th n I'm freaking out.... I know he is rated top notch but still would like to hear your thoughts?